Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

JDarwin52

New in Town
This was my first jacket from 5*
The pattern was based on a picture of Amelia Earhart's jacket.
This was also the first time that the jacket was folded in such a way that the desired measurements were visible on the measuring tape. It then had to be reworked to achieve the desired dimensions.
Oh cool! I hadn’t made the Earhart connection, but seeing the pit gussets I think that’s what I got. Ordered an A1 but with zipper and sent one of your old fit pics as reference, plus a few details.. got an Earhart. Fine by me!

I always admired the pre-WWII look of the A1. Short knit collar looks just right turned up and actually love the buttons. But seemed a hassle with thicker leather, plus with limited mobility in my left hand, I just couldn’t seem ‘em working out. So I’m glad this option was out there.

KBlake

One Too Many
Aero v. 5*

Now that I own an aero I can post this comparison. This is a Dustbowl and it has a very trim fit, just like the 5*. The Vicenza hh is lightweight has a gorgeous grain throughout.
IMG_6849.jpeg
IMG_6869.jpeg

Last edited:
Is that Dustbowl modified? Looks like a Premier collar…
There should also be a significant front drop on that model.
If I were to get an Aero, it would be a Seabiscuit for the collar!

KBlake

One Too Many
Is that Dustbowl modified? Looks like a Premier collar…
There should also be a significant front drop on that model.
If I were to get an Aero, it would be a Seabiscuit for the collar!
I got it second hand from a TFLer so I don’t know.

KBlake

One Too Many
Let’s see the back!
In the photos that 5* looks great on you.
Thanks. If I’m being totally honest I think the 5* fits better. Maybe it’s not a fair comparison because I specified the measurements for the 5* and the aero was made for someone else but the measurements are about the same.
IMG_6973.jpeg
IMG_6950.jpeg

spectre6000

One of the Regulars
Ok. I’d have failed that test. The fit definitely looks better on the Fivestar, but in the photos the leather also looks better on the Fivestar. Photos and personal preferences can both sway the look of the leather, so I guess that explains it. Still. I’d have gotten it wrong if I was forced to guess which was which. Kudos!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. If I’m being totally honest I think the 5* fits better. Maybe it’s not a fair comparison because I specified the measurements for the 5* and the aero was made for someone else but the measurements are about the same. View attachment 592944 View attachment 592945
I wouldn't write Aero off based on this jacket. Some Aero patterns are more refined than others. If I remember correctly I've given you a list of Aero patterns I'd recommend some time ago ?

Maybe it’s not a fair comparison because I specified the measurements for the 5* and the aero was made for someone else but the measurements are about the same.
Measurements vs patterns, two different things. I don't think you'd get a better fit out of this Aero pattern if you'd order one custom.

The 5 Star certainly does fit better. The dustbowl isn't a great pattern, maybe the worst in Aero's catalog (IMO). This one looks like a mashed up PWM and 30's HB. The gut is bulbous like the HWM...weird jacket. Looks like somebody tried to do something with the measurements and failed.

KBlake

One Too Many
I wouldn't write Aero off based on this jacket. Some Aero patterns are more refined than others. If I remember correctly I've given you a list of Aero patterns I'd recommend some time ago ?

Measurements vs patterns, two different things. I don't think you'd get a better fit out of this Aero pattern if you'd order one custom.
Yes, 100%. I’m not writing Aero off at all. In fact, I have a bird of prey on the way. I canceled my speedway order because I have a Regius straight zip coming. This Dustbowl pattern just doesn’t do anything for me.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yes, 100%. I’m not writing Aero off at all. In fact, I have a bird of prey on the way. I canceled my speedway order because I have a Regius straight zip coming. This Dustbowl pattern just doesn’t do anything for me.
Nice, if I were to order an Aero it would either be a Speedway or a Bird of Prey. Or a Grizzly :)

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
You will need to hike up your jeans to where you really feel it down below for both those models from Aero :D

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Mine is coming in a 25” back length, so it should be just fine.
Have you taken into account the 3" front drop? You don't want it to look like a coat from the front.

Here's one with a 22.5" back. I'm 5'11" and I'm wearing the jacket with low rise jeans. Add 2.5" and it'll look like a coat instead of a jacket.

I know you are taller than me but 25" combined with a 3" front drop might be too long for the style.

IMG_6114.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff