Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How much would a Johnson Leathers jacket cost, roughly?
Depends on whether they need to make a bespoke pattern for you or not. If you're essentially a stock size and they just need to do your pocket configuration on a standard jacket type like @Canuck Panda mentions, you're looking at Aero prices.
That sounds right to me, and @Aloysius has much more recent experience ordering from them than I.

MrBlue44

New in Town
If price isn’t a limiting factor you should go with Aero.
To go back to this... it isn't that price is not a limiting factor, it's that I wonder how much benefit I'd get from spending the additional $800 - $1000. Will I be twice as happy? Three times as happy? I don't know.

To put it another way, with the cost of one JL jacket, I could purchase a FS jacket and replace my aging DSLR camera body (another hobby of mine) and still have money left over. Which would make me happier? That's the question I need to answer.

Plus budgeting for my birthday doesn't happen in a vacuum. While my wife has said she is okay with me spending a lot of money on a jacket, we could put that money to other places. Like a small holiday for my birthday, for example.

I have emailed Johnson Leathers - it's a pity their website has nothing on it. No patterns, no ordering information, no pricing. Anyway, when I've heard back from JL and got the samples from Aero and FS, I can make a decision.

Plus there is something work related that I'm waiting for news on, that will affect my compensation. Not a promotion, don't really want to explain. If that comes through, it will be easier to justify spending a bit more money.

I might be willing to spend around $1300 on a jacket - more than that and it becomes increasingly hard to justify. I just wish JL's website was better - it would help me so much knowing what they charge for their most common patterns.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
To go back to this... it isn't that price is not a limiting factor, it's that I wonder how much benefit I'd get from spending the additional $800 - $1000. Will I be twice as happy? Three times as happy? I don't know.
Neither do any of us. What the additional amount can afford you is a higher likelihood of being satisfied with the completed product. Lot of posts here suggest that something is usually off with 5*’s end product vs other makers like JL, Aero, etc…

As for JL’s website, yes it leaves a lot to be desired. But better to call them. After a short discussion about your needs, they will reach out by email and are pretty responsive.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@MrBlue44 I'd consider talking to Rugged West if you're in England. For me they are, in a positive way, an upgraded and much safer version of 5*. By the way there is a free trade agreement between UK and Pakistan, so no taxes. If you order from US - get ready to get slapped by taxes.

El Marro

It might be even simpler than this. If the Five Star you receive isn’t right then you will be unhappy. In that case, it comes down to happy versus unhappy, and I always choose happy.

AHP91

Practically Family
It’s amazing - it’s always the custom jacket idea threads that somehow always devolve into quantifying money spent against life happiness.

Here’s the thing - in a few years you will not even think about the difference in money spent on your jacket. You will either enjoy your jacket or you won’t. If your purchase leads to a divorce, then that should influence your decision.

My gym membership has led to a +2.4 life happiness index boost. Any new clothing product? They’re nice, but not on the same scale. Have fun with this process, should be enjoyable.

MrBlue44

New in Town
@MrBlue44 I'd consider talking to Rugged West if you're in England. For me they are, in a positive way, an upgraded and much safer version of 5*. By the way there is a free trade agreement between UK and Pakistan, so no taxes. If you order from US - get ready to get slapped by taxes.

I've emailed them although it does make a little nervous that they are so new. Plus I don't see any horse hide on their website.

MrBlue44

New in Town
It’s amazing - it’s always the custom jacket idea threads that somehow always devolve into quantifying money spent against life happiness.

Here’s the thing - in a few years you will not even think about the difference in money spent on your jacket. You will either enjoy your jacket or you won’t. If your purchase leads to a divorce, then that should influence your decision.

My gym membership has led to a +2.4 life happiness index boost. Any new clothing product? They’re nice, but not on the same scale. Have fun with this process, should be enjoyable.
Eh, I think its entirely rational and an important part of being an adult. If I just spent my money on whatever I wanted, I'd not only create problems in my marriage but also in my own goals like retirement and providing for my children.

I won't just splurge on a $2000 jacket because it looks good on a website. Even if it fitted me great and looked great its still $2000. I don't think this is too crazy of a position to hold. Really, I'd say that the vast majority of adults are simply not willing to spend so much money on a single item of clothing even if they can afford it.

MrProper

However, I wouldn't recommend Leilah to accept an order for a "Frankenjacket". I don't think she would be doing herself any favours. If one of the current models fits, then it's a good option.

MrBlue44

New in Town
However, I wouldn't recommend Leilah to accept an order for a "Frankenjacket". I don't think she would be doing herself any favours. If one of the current models fits, then it's a good option.
That's your opinion. I see people making jackets with mixing different hides and I think they look awful.

In any case at least one of Leilah's designs has chest patch pockets so I don't know why everyone thinks the idea is so horrible.

MrProper

That's your opinion.
Yes, of course, that's just my opinion. The good thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have one.
If I wanted to build a brand, it would be with a few models for which the manufacturer has good patterns. Quality assurance is easier if I don't have to make a new pattern for every order. And even if I only make pockets that I haven't had before, there's a risk that something won't work out and ruin my reputation.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
That's your opinion. I see people making jackets with mixing different hides and I think they look awful.
No, that's common business sense. The chances that someone else is goin to like your mix and match design AND order the exact same jacket are pretty slim. Which means Leilah would have to develop a one-off design just for you. Which would only make sense if she'd charge a considerable markup. At that price point you might as well order a jacket from a premium maker.

In any case at least one of Leilah's designs has chest patch pockets so I don't know why everyone thinks the idea is so horrible.
The Type I? Thats a 100+ year old design classic lol.

1716309453696.png

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@MrBlue44

Aero has made these police jackets before that looks very similar to the jacket you are trying to custom build, not quite M-65 pockets or the A2 epaulettes but the overall feeling is similar. There are quite a few of these (lightly used) CXL jackets around for not a lot of money. Getting a pre-loved one with a custom new liner is basically a new jacket.

1716309331759.jpeg

I don't believe higher dollars spent always equals better results. Most of the time the money is pissed away on insufficient poor info/intel. Take your time. It doesn't "have to be" a 40 year gift to yourself, it could be 45 or 50, and mean while you can just grab another jacket that you feel is good (enough) as you did before with your last A2 jacket.

MrBlue44

New in Town
@MrBlue44

Aero has made these police jackets before that looks very similar to the jacket you are trying to custom build, not quite M-65 pockets or the A2 epaulettes but the overall feeling is similar. There are quite a few of these (lightly used) CXL jackets around for not a lot of money. Getting a pre-loved one with a custom new liner is basically a new jacket.

View attachment 615546

I don't believe higher dollars spent always equals better results. Most of the time the money is pissed away on insufficient poor info/intel. Take your time. It doesn't "have to be" a 40 year gift to yourself, it could be 45 or 50, and mean while you can just grab another jacket that you feel is good (enough) as you did before with your last A2 jacket.
That's very interesting! If Aero made it before, maybe they'd be willing to make it again?

So not such a Franken jacket if a major manufacturer has made one just like it?

MrBlue44

New in Town
No, that's common business sense. The chances that someone else is goin to like your mix and match design AND order the exact same jacket are pretty slim. Which means Leilah would have to develop a one-off design just for you. Which would only make sense if she'd charge a considerable markup. At that price point you might as well order a jacket from a premium maker.

The Type I? Thats a 100+ year old design classic lol.

View attachment 615547
Okay so then RW is not an option. Let's see if Leilah agrees with you, if she does then fine, no hard feelings. I wonder why RW was recommended on this thread then.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's very interesting! If Aero made it before, maybe they'd be willing to make it again?

A brand new custom Aero is gonna set you back £800 to £900 these days and this is the non VAT prices. I've seen these CXL Aero police jackets out there for half that in like new conditions, so its worth to look at all options. The Aero version is a shorter jacket so there is no real estate for patched chest pockets, it's most likely built off their 50s pattern block. There are longer versions with A2 epaulettes and patch chest pockets, but button closures from existing uniform suppliers. Could also look into it. What you are describing, the jacket, is really very similar to a four pocket police jacket. Unless you want very specific material and lining, there are tons of options out there for police jackets. Also search police jacket surplus.
1716311373721.jpeg

MrBlue44

New in Town
Yes, of course, that's just my opinion. The good thing about opinions is that everyone is allowed to have one.
If I wanted to build a brand, it would be with a few models for which the manufacturer has good patterns. Quality assurance is easier if I don't have to make a new pattern for every order. And even if I only make pockets that I haven't had before, there's a risk that something won't work out and ruin my reputation.
If we all shared our opinions as rudely as you, this forum wouldn't be very useful.

How about you let Leilah make up her own mind instead of trying to guess what she would do? I see that a lot of her business is already custom jackets and like has been pointed out, police jackets are actually very similar to this.

Maybe you could offer useful feedback like Canuck Panda instead - that's at least helpful as opposed to just calling it a franken jacket. Which is now provenly factually incorrect thanks to the existence of police jackets.

Aloysius

Well in fairness this isn't just like the jacket you described.

If this would fulfill what you're looking for, you have a lot of options as this general design is used by many Northeastern American police departments. I even have a brand new one that I'm selling for cheap since I got the wrong size.

Vanson makes one under the name "Boston Police Jacket"; I expect they've been (or still are) an official supplier to that department. Schott has made several for various New York and New Jersey police departments, though not recently so you'd have to check eBay and the like for those.

There are probably also such jackets from regional factories/suppliers like Branded Garments and Fidelity leathers that you might be able to find new for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace