Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flask query...

matei

One Too Many
Hi all...

I figured I'd post this in the smoky environs of Th Connoisseur, as it pertains to alcohol-related paraphernalia.

I have a metal hip flask from Petersons of Dublin, in which I had left some palincă for perhaps a month. When I went to have a wee nip during a long train ride from București to Vienna, I discovered to my dismay that the spirit had caused the neck of the flask to oxidise. It left a greenish crust, sort of what you'd see on a copper penny left in the boot of your car.

Needless to say, I did not partake of the spirit and dumped it down the sink in my compartment.

When I got home, I left some vinegar to sit in it for about an hour, and it seems to have dissolved the crust... however when I washed it out, it seems that part of the chrome (?) coating has come off as well!

I don't know what the underlying metal is - it has a slight yellowish or reddish hue, perhaps I'm seeing things.

My question at the end of this long tale is... is it safe to use said flask? I don't wish to poison myself if I can avoid it.

Has anyone else ever seen this happen?

dnjan

One Too Many
I had a flask develop an off flavour after leaving some sherry in it for a while. Haven't used the flask since.
Probably wouldn't kill me, but I will always have the memory of the tainted beverage, and won't trust it.

From now on, I will only get a flask if it is stainless steel. (no more chrome-plated brass)

Adcurium

A-List Customer
the booze kills all the bad stuff?

I tried to respond earlier. I think I sent my response out into the interwebs never to be read again. If I double post, my bad...

I had the same thing happen to a flask a few months ago and I threw it in the trash b/c I wasn't sure how I would explain to my wife or my mother that I got lock-jaw after drinking from a rusty flask. Maybe it would have been OK after a rinse but, again, I didn't want to have the conversation which would inevitably go something like this: "And you, being a grown man who won't eat breakfast at our local diner b/c you don't think they wash the cups and plates well enough, thought there was nothing wrong with taking a gulp from that rusty, corroded flask?"

matei

One Too Many
Hmm... sound advice.

Rumour has it that the flask is stainless steel, but I would tend to doubt it in light of the reaction to the spirit being left inside.

matei

One Too Many
They normally don't chrome-plate stainless ...

Good point.

I think that it might be just the collar/neck that is plated brass? In any event, Mrs. Matei took one look and said that I won't be using it any longer. ;-)

dnjan

One Too Many
If the flask itself is stainless and just the neck (and cap) brass, I wonder if the corrosion started at the solder joint between the two metals?

matei

One Too Many
It is hard to see, the opening is rather small. I can see a ring of corrosion at the bottom of the neck, probably the join.

Mrs. Matei, who possesses superior vision for details, was able to look a bit more closely at the flask and determined that the body appears to be of a different metal.

In any event, the flasks aren't all that expensive, so I'm in the market for a new one. No sense in risking lockjaw or foul-tasting drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy