Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flip-Flops again...?

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Though we've explored this topic before, I thought others might like to see this article without my having to dig through the archives:

Are flip-flops damaging your career?
By Belinda Goldsmith
Thu Jun 29, 1:38 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - With more women wearing flip-flops to the office this summer, U.S. style gurus are warning that the casual shoe once mainly seen on the beach could be damaging to careers -- as well as to feet.

Lauren Cardinale, 25, who works at West Glen Communications, wears beaded or other fancy flip flops to the office -- when she can get away with it.

"Occasionally I wear flip flops to work," she said. "I wear nicer shoes if I'm meeting with clients or if I know there will be someone in the office who doesn't approve of flip flops."

Cardinale is one of thousands of young women in New York who consider flip-flops an essential part of their summer wardrobe.

An online survey conducted for retailers Old Navy and Gap found flip-flops topped the list of wardrobe items that college and high school students planned to wear to work this summer.

More than 31 percent of women said flip-flops were the single "must have" item for work this summer.

But many companies disagree.

CONT:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060629/od_nm/life_flipflops1_dc_1

---

All I can do is sigh.:eusa_doh:

L_H

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If the shoe does not lace, fold over, or tie to my foot, and if it stays on the ground while my sole is in the air as Im taking a step, its wrong.

LD

magneto

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
If the shoe does not lace, fold over, or tie to my foot, and if it stays on the ground while my sole is in the air as Im taking a step, its wrong.

LD

Do you mind if I make a flyer out of this statement and paste it to the front door of "Discount Shoe Warehouse"? ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't have a problem with flip flops to be perfectly honest. In any casual atmosphere they're fine with me. I wear them on my commute and change into heels at the office, because in the summer they are comfortable and cooler (temperature wise) than sneakers.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Lady Day said:

LD

Straight to the point LD ! I agree 100%.
Let us consign them to the great heap of fashion detritus in the sky along with 'low-slung/hipsters', tattoos on the lower back, visible g-strings (please excuse my vulgarity), and those horrible hairy boots that ladies were wearing last season.:eusa_clap

C

cherry_bomb

I agree w/ Miss Bella Hell- I do own flip flops. In college they were used for unsanitary dorm showers, and now mainly because I don't drive well in heels. And sometimes, at the beach for a shoe that I don't mind getting sand "in".

Although I will say, I'm rather offended by that "lower back tattoo" comment. AllaboutEve, I have several tattoos- all very covered by my every day clothing- most people don't realize I have any! But one of them does happen to be on my lower back. :mad:

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cherry_bomb said:
I agree w/ Miss Bella Hell- I do own flip flops. In college they were used for unsanitary dorm showers, and now mainly because I don't drive well in heels. And sometimes, at the beach for a shoe that I don't mind getting sand "in".

Although I will say, I'm rather offended by that "lower back tattoo" comment. AllaboutEve, I have several tattoos- all very covered by my every day clothing- most people don't realize I have any! But one of them does happen to be on my lower back. :mad:

Some of us are more likely to accept current trends than others - I am sure she meant no personal offense! Loungers do sometimes get worked up about the "kids these days" ;)

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
AllaboutEve said:
Let us consign them to the great heap of fashion detritus in the sky along with 'low-slung/hipsters', tattoos on the lower back, visible g-strings (please excuse my vulgarity), and those horrible hairy boots that ladies were wearing last season.

Let us not forget the crimes of the male gender: shirts with the tails hanging out, khakis (a few sizes too small) worn below petruding bellies, trucker-type baseball caps and those god-awful bluetooth earpieces.

C

cherry_bomb

I can understand not meaning to be personally offensive, and I do apologize for my harsh words, AllaboutEve- but mentioning that someones personal choices are in bad taste can be taken personally.

Rosie

One Too Many
I personally don't mind flip flops either. Actually, I LIKE them. I don't wear them as part of an ensemble but truthfully, I'm on my feet 95% of the day and sometimes, wearing heels is a pain in the foot. ;) I like to change into my flip flops in my classroom. Also, I sometimes wear them in the summer when I am commuting, if I have classes or am teaching summer school, it's just easier to run for the bus or train in flip flops then in wedgies. It's just more comforable. I also wear them around the house and wear them on my way to the gym (well, when I went to the gym with some regularity)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I don't have a problem with flip flops to be perfectly honest. In any casual atmosphere they're fine with me. I wear them on my commute and change into heels at the office, because in the summer they are comfortable and cooler (temperature wise) than sneakers.

Same as me. Though if I had some nice sandals I would wear them both walking and at work, but sadly my nicer shoes are not made for hiking 1.5 miles through London morning and evening! I am broke as all hell and my £2 flipflops have served me well. Though I will be the first to admit they are very inelegant and not fitting with the rest of my style. But for walking, it's either Converse or flip-flops so it's really six of one, and a half dozen of the other.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
cherry_bomb said:

I'm sorry Cherrybomb, I really didn't mean to upset anyone. It's just my opinion, and that doesn't mean it's right, neither does it mean that I have the right to upset anyone else with it.
:(
I suppose in hindsight mentioning tattoos was a bit tactless as they are more personal and permanent, not something you can take on and off.
I am a bit hot headed at times, lots of my girlfriends have tattoos....and very lovely they are too......
So Sorry........:( :(

C

cherry_bomb

AllaboutEve said:
I'm sorry Cherrybomb, I really didn't mean to upset anyone. It's just my opinion, and that doesn't mean it's right, neither does it mean that I have the right to upset anyone else with it.
:(
I suppose in hindsight mentioning tattoos was a bit tactless as they are more personal and permanent, not something you can take on and off.
I am a bit hot headed at times, lots of my girlfriends have tattoos....and very lovely they are too......
So Sorry........:( :(

It's alright- I'm very hotheaded myself!! And I'm terribly sorry if I upset you at all either. I tend to get very upset by the mention of negativity towards others tattoos- like you said, it's a totally personal statement. And sometimes I have a tendancy to forget that others have a right to their opinons as well.

But I agree w/ you 100% that wearing ones underwear outside of ones pants is a statement that only Superman should practice- not young ladies!

C

cherry_bomb

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Even me? My mom says I'm super....:rolleyes:

Even you! :p You may be super, but you're no man! *That sounds like I'm giving the men permission to wear their underwear on the outside* Men shouldn't be allowed to do that either!!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
cherry_bomb said:
It's alright- I'm very hotheaded myself!! And I'm terribly sorry if I upset you at all either. I tend to get very upset by the mention of negativity towards others tattoos- like you said, it's a totally personal statement. And sometimes I have a tendancy to forget that others have a right to their opinons as well.

But I agree w/ you 100% that wearing ones underwear outside of ones pants is a statement that only Superman should practice- not young ladies!

No worries, I was a bit startled that's all as I haven't upset anyone here before! I will try to be a little more diplomatic and tactful in future.

I guess I'm just getting old and crotchety..... (at least that's what my teenage step daughter would probably say!!!!

Love the superman notion :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats