Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

foam rollers vs velcro rollers?

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
The beauty of you ladies truly floors me. All of you are stunning.

Ok, so, now, the question: I have very long hair. Middle of my back and straight, no layers. Any suggestions on how to set it and what to use? I would just LOVE to have hair like Rita Hayworth. I'm thinking if set properly, I could get close to that look. Or of course, Veronica Lake.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Grnidwitch said:
Ok, so, now, the question: I have very long hair. Middle of my back and straight, no layers. Any suggestions on how to set it and what to use? I would just LOVE to have hair like Rita Hayworth. I'm thinking if set properly, I could get close to that look. Or of course, Veronica Lake.

I think there's a thread here on vintage styles for long hair. You might want to check that out.

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Hello. I bleach the heck out of my hair...so anything heatless is always a plus. The rollers, flat irons and curling iron are me enemy. I use to use my mom's bonnet dryer, when I was in high school, with huge rollers to straighten my hair.

Lillemor

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I have very thick hair and cannot do a wet or even a damp set if I want my hair to dry. I do completely dry sets on *not* freshly washed hair (if it's freshly washed, the curl falls right out no matter what i do). I use Lottabody setting lotion undiluted along with some shine pomade, set in pillow and sponge rollers, usually in the morning, and leave them in for about 6-8 hours, zapping occasionally with the blow dryer. I've had good luck with this. If you have thick or coarse hair, you may want to experiment and try a completely dry set also.

Dry sounds good to me.:) I used setting lotion undeluted in the past. Now I remember that my hair was litterally dripping in it but it was the only way to make the curls last all evening through dancing, etc.

I've still not found any setting lotion locally. Matas (large chain of beauty/supply/etc. shops) didn't have it last time I was in one.:( If I get desperate I'll have my dad send me a box for Christmas.lol I'm sure my hairdresser can sell me some but she'll probably sell at some rediculous overprice and that's a luxury most families can't afford today.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I nearly got it right the other day, then I began to brush...:rolleyes:I made Einstein's mane look pretty tame. I'm tempted to just shake my head a bit and finger tame the curls.

I like the curls I get with the large diameter foam rollers best. I'll only use the smaller diameter ones for strays that won't stay around the larger rollers.

My foam rollers are of such a lousy quality that the click-on frames keep falling off right when I get them rolled to my scalp. Come to think of it, I think my curls will look better if I only roll my hair up to my ears but I'm worried that it'll add to much width to my round face.

Is it "acceptable" in a vintage context to pin up the sides to move the fullness from the sides to the top?

For the past 1+ month I've been playing it careful and only rolling the bottom up in large, horizontal sections. Not very vintage, just tidier than if I let my layers do their own thing.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
I nearly got it right the other day, then I began to brush...:rolleyes:I made Einstein's mane look pretty tame. I'm tempted to just shake my head a bit and finger tame the curls.

I've completely stopped brushing out my curls. Try using a large toothed comb instead to comb out each curl individually. Then you can use the comb or maybe a brush to put everything into place.

Is it "acceptable" in a vintage context to pin up the sides to move the fullness from the sides to the top?

You mean.... an updo? lol Of course it's fine.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Kitty T! I also have started using a wide toothed comb and what a difference :) With a little serum and finger placing... Page Boy here we come :) lol lol

Lillemor... soo glad that its working for you and if you can post pics :D

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Well, I did the foam and Lotta body. Bleh! the curls are there, I'm just not digging, well, the curls. I wanted it a little more relaxed. I'm thinking about trying socks, like I did when I was a kid. Anyone done socks lately?

Smuterella

One Too Many
Lareesie Ladavi said:
Well, I did the foam and Lotta body. Bleh! the curls are there, I'm just not digging, well, the curls. I wanted it a little more relaxed. I'm thinking about trying socks, like I did when I was a kid. Anyone done socks lately?

they will get more relaxed if you brush them out

decodoll

Practically Family
I'm in the process of making my own modified rag rollers. I use Hot Sticks when I want curls quick, but they don't stay in as long as when I sleep on rollers. Sleeping on rollers is so uncomfortable... especially right now while I'm pregnant and have a hard enough time getting comfy as it is! I can even feel the wires in the pillow rollers. Rag rollers are comfy, but I don't feel like I have anything to hold onto really to get a good grip on the hair and so they take me forever and end up kind of messy. Anyway, this is longer than I intended. :p I'm taking strips of flannel and sewing little pillows into them. Now I can easily roll them up and tie them! Nothing hard in there to poke me! :D

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I'm in the process of making my own modified rag rollers. I use Hot Sticks when I want curls quick, but they don't stay in as long as when I sleep on rollers. Sleeping on rollers is so uncomfortable... especially right now while I'm pregnant and have a hard enough time getting comfy as it is! I can even feel the wires in the pillow rollers. Rag rollers are comfy, but I don't feel like I have anything to hold onto really to get a good grip on the hair and so they take me forever and end up kind of messy. Anyway, this is longer than I intended. :p I'm taking strips of flannel and sewing little pillows into them. Now I can easily roll them up and tie them! Nothing hard in there to poke me! :D

Now that is a WONDERFUL idea!!! I bet those are soo comfy..

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
I brushed it out...I think it might just be the body I don't like. One thing is for sure, Lotta body definately works (thanks ladies, I don't need a ton of spray!), it's windy as all heck and the curl is still there. lol I think a lot of the reason the curl won't relax is because my hair is curly, so I guess the texture of my hair just holds kinks.

Decodoll, very nice! I was just thinking about some old scraps of fabric to tie, but your idea is a lot more polished.

decodoll

Practically Family
KittyT said:
Not all pillow rollers have wires in them - mine don't.

Oh well... all the ones I've come across have. I've got the supplies to do this now and can customize them to the size I want, so I might as well keep going. Plus, I bet yours don't have pink and green polka dots on them. ;)

Thanks, Lareesie. :) They sew up really quickly. I just need to sit down and do a whole headful now. I like not having as much extra bulk to tie as regular rag curlers too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
decodoll said:
Plus, I bet yours don't have pink and green polka dots on them. ;)

No, but they're zebra-striped :)

They're strips of round foam, covered in fabric and they attach with snaps. I've posted about them in numerous places here, including earlier in this thread.

decodoll

Practically Family
KittyT said:
No, but they're zebra-striped :)

They're strips of round foam, covered in fabric and they attach with snaps. I've posted about them in numerous places here, including earlier in this thread.

Oh yes! I have those too. I've tried just about everything. I don't know why, but I wasn't thinking of those when I said pillow rollers... more the type with just the pillow in the center. Those aren't too bad, but I still have trouble getting comfy wearing them. The big loops of padding shift around and tug on my hair.

Leila de la May

New in Town
decodoll said:

Oooh! These look really good, and very easy to make. I think I might have to sew some for myself, and test it out.
Thanks for the inspiration. :D

64tonya

One of the Regulars
Sold!

KittyT said:
I usually get a really nice, tight curl that I brush out to varying degrees based on what I want. These were all done with these rollers:
derbyshootclose1.jpg

laborday008.jpg

triplerolls3.jpg
You are too cute and classy KittyT! I'm getting those tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner