Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

foam rollers vs velcro rollers?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Smuterella said:
i'd like to know what pillow rollers are?

They're foam rollers that are long and straight. They're covered in fabric and snap together at the ends. You roll your hair around them and snap the ends, forming a loop. The next one you set, take one end and loop it through the previous roller before you snap it. This helps give lift at the roots.

One thing I like about them is that because they're long and have no clips like sponge rollers, you can set very large sections of hair on them if you don't want a tight curl.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Here are the pillow rollers I use. They work great! I think mine are actually Conair, but I couldn't find them online. I think I got them at Target.

http://www.tenderheaded.com/goodpilsofro.html

I have seen those but didnt know if they worked well... cause sometimes I wake up with a stiff neck.. (beauty is pain **sighs** lol)

I will have to pick up a sample and test them out :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I like these pillow rollers better. As I said, you can link them together for body, and they'll also hold larger sections of hair.

51A9ZxIcDFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Tatum

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I like these pillow rollers better. As I said, you can link them together for body, and they'll also hold larger sections of hair.

51A9ZxIcDFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I see these at Sally's, and always think about trying them. What kind of curl do you get, KittyT?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Tatum said:
I see these at Sally's, and always think about trying them. What kind of curl do you get, KittyT?

I usually get a really nice, tight curl that I brush out to varying degrees based on what I want. These were all done with these rollers:
derbyshootclose1.jpg

laborday008.jpg

triplerolls3.jpg

Inky

One Too Many
I don't think I've ever seen pics of you KittyT, what a great look you have and I love love love your glasses!

I have those leopard print rollers and haven't tried them yet, now that I see how well your hair turns out, I'll have to give them a go. Thanks for posting your pics!

Lillemor

One Too Many
I ordered two packs of foam rollers with 12 in each. 6 medium diameter, 6 smaller diameter. I hope that's enough. I've never tried sleeping on foam rollers. I used to set damp with setting lotion and often times my hair wasn't completely dry before taking them out. That's the sort of stuff I'd tolerate as a teenager.lol

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lillemor, I think you will like the foam rollers... they have some getting used to at first, but once you have slept in them a couple of times.. you dont even notice it :)

Let us know when you get them.. we want to see the results :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
CherryRed said:
Kitty, I really like your cut in these photo's. Mine needs to be trimmed again. How is your hair cut? I have some layers in mine and it looks like you do too. How long are they?

Basic cut with long layers. I don't specify exactly how long I want the layers - I just let my stylist do it. I think any stylist worth their salt should know what to do if I tell them "I like to do vintage styles and need long layers in my hair." If I were a stylist I'd want to punch someone in the face if they brought me that haircut diagram from the Turudich 40s hairstyles book lol

Sorry I can't be more specific. I just don't really think it matters that much, as long as it's a basic layered cut.

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks, KittyT! I'll have to try those. Your hair looks great.

I did, however, pick up some Curlformers (I wanted to see how well they curl, and they are quick as a whip to put in), and if today's hair looks OK, I'll post. (Although I didn't get enough, so I added a couple spoolies :D)

Lillemor

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
Lillemor, I think you will like the foam rollers... they have some getting used to at first, but once you have slept in them a couple of times.. you dont even notice it :)

Let us know when you get them.. we want to see the results :)

Erh...no, you may not want to.:eek: lol I want to try both rolling under, over, all of my head, just the bottom up to my ears, vertically...just to see what I like best.

I wonder if something like this can be achieved using foam rollers:

post-159-1194908938.jpg

I'm not well acquianted with the screen starlets so my main source of inspiration is the ladies in music. I'm still a novice on that too. My hair is too short for Patti Page 1950s styles but she had longer hair in the 1940s. Jo Stafford went the same way too I think. Both of them have a very different hair type from mine though. Theirs is Caucasian and I have that stubborn, coarse Asian/Mongolid hairstype so I don't expect to see the same results on my own hair.

Connie Francis and Annette Funicello appear to have had thicker types of hair.

Gone flat:

I had used velcro rollers, mousse/gel combo and hairspray in the bottom 1/3 of my hair just to get volume on top and roll the hair under. This photo was taken some 3 hours late and as you can see, it had gone completely flat.:(

As I stated else where, if it doesn't go flat, it ends up frizzy:

Excuse my camera.:rolleyes:

I even had a few more layers added at my last trim so I have layers from the bottom of my skull and I want APL length hair but it's just below the shoulders in the back now and the sides will stay graduated. The layers are blunt scissor cut with no thinning.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Hmmmmmm:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

You are rolling the curlers with tension right? Im sure u are.. but I did that once and my set was out in 5 min.. lol

My hair is quite the odd ball too... nothing really works except foam rollers... but I have to roll them tight.. and spray after then put some heat.. and then the next morning... I take them out.. dont use a brush.. just fingers.. and avoid running your hands through to much cause it might start to pull the curl like it does with mine.

Im really hopin and prayin that we can help find something to curl your hair!!;)

Lillemor

One Too Many
LelaViavonie said:
Hmmmmmm:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

You are rolling the curlers with tension right? Im sure u are.. but I did that once and my set was out in 5 min.. lol

My hair is quite the odd ball too... nothing really works except foam rollers... but I have to roll them tight.. and spray after then put some heat.. and then the next morning... I take them out.. dont use a brush.. just fingers.. and avoid running your hands through to much cause it might start to pull the curl like it does with mine.

Im really hopin and prayin that we can help find something to curl your hair!!;)

Mine came with the specific instruction that I can't use heat on them so I either put them on in the morning, pray that it's a rainy day so I have a natural excuse for covering my hair when I have to go out (the sight of ladies with curlers in their hair is not a normal occurence here in Denmark) or wash and set it in the evening and hope 8 hrs. of sleep is enough.

Do you spray on dry hair and set or damp hair?

Yes, and I'll be putting more tension on now that I'm using foam rollers than I could with velcro rollers.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
Mine came with the specific instruction that I can't use heat on them

I've never seen sponge rollers that couldn't stand up to heat. Heat makes a HUGE difference when it comes to how quickly your hair will set and how long it will last. Even zapping mine with a blow dryer several times for a few minutes at a time really helps me get longer lasting curls.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lillemor said:
Mine came with the specific instruction that I can't use heat on them so I either put them on in the morning, pray that it's a rainy day so I have a natural excuse for covering my hair when I have to go out (the sight of ladies with curlers in their hair is not a normal occurence here in Denmark) or wash and set it in the evening and hope 8 hrs. of sleep is enough.

Do you spray on dry hair and set or damp hair?

Yes, and I'll be putting more tension on now that I'm using foam rollers than I could with velcro rollers.

Like Kitty T mentioned, I also zap my hair a few times with the blowdryer just to help it out a bit :)

Here is the thing with my hair.. I have so much of it.. if I so a wet set and let it dry.. in the morning Im still wet..:rage:

So what i have to do is put some curling product in my hair then blow dry it to where its almost dry and while my hair is still warm.. I woll my rollers in and then i give a light spray of hairspray or curling activator and then put the blow dryer on for a few min.

Its alot for me to do.. but thats the ONLY way my hair will keep the curl in.. lol

Also for the night after I will spray each strand with some curl activator and then roll them again in rollers (tightly) and then put my hair net on and in the morning.. i have my curls again.

I really do have Stubborn hair.. it takes 10 other things for me to do just to get the reslutls I want...lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Hmm...maybe the warning is a paranoid lawsuit avoidance tactic.

My hair isn't very dense but the individual hairstrands are coarse and thick so it also takes me forever to dry hair whether I use a blowdryer or let it dry naturally. It takes my hairdresser less time to wash and cut my hair than it takes for her to blowdry it even though she does it with a professional dryer on high setting.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the instructions. I'll probably have to do all of that too.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
Thanks for the instructions. I'll probably have to do all of that too.

I have very thick hair and cannot do a wet or even a damp set if I want my hair to dry. I do completely dry sets on *not* freshly washed hair (if it's freshly washed, the curl falls right out no matter what i do). I use Lottabody setting lotion undiluted along with some shine pomade, set in pillow and sponge rollers, usually in the morning, and leave them in for about 6-8 hours, zapping occasionally with the blow dryer. I've had good luck with this. If you have thick or coarse hair, you may want to experiment and try a completely dry set also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner