Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

foam rollers vs velcro rollers?

jessicarabbit

New in Town
I slept in my foam rollers last week and my hair curled fabulously, but because they have a clamp to secure them I ended up with dents in my hair (not a good look at the front).

how can I avoid this? should I sleep in velcro rollers instead? and is there any way to secure either type of roller to ensure they won't fall out?

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
A lot of the time it dents the hair because to much hair was put in the roller, I've done it a million times over with smaller amount of hair it get less noticable dents. I tend to do pin curls in the front and sides and do rollers in the back that allows me to have no dents and is faster then pin curling your whole head. Hopefully that helps you out a bit!

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
I personally prefer Velcros for the simple reason that when I style my hair I tend to do it in a 60s flip and love the volume from the velcros.

Having said that - the foam rollers do tend to put a smaller curl out and I tend to use them around the back and sides overnight and the velcros on top.

Velcros are a bit uncomfortable to sleep in!

But you cant put too much in the the foam rollers, and to keep the velcros in I tie a hair/scarf over the rollers.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I don't know what type of hair you have. I find the velcro rollers easier to place but they don't stay in and the result is frizzy. I don't have the other type anymore but I liked the results better and I didn't get dents. I don't know if it's because I have thick (thickness means diameter and not density) and coarse hair that's difficult to curl in the first place. I've never considered sleeping on my velcro rollers but I suppose you can get used to so many things.:)

I'd used velcro rollers ½ way up in the profile pic and it didn't hold but at least it wasn't frizzy.

PS

A-List Customer
I like velcro for certain things and sponge for others. Velcro just gives more body. I know they don't stay all that well so I use my pin curl clips to hold them in place. But they are great for getting height at the crown and curling your bangs without getting a dent...

I always get them with sponge rollers. I try to use less and less hair but still get dents on occasion, sometimes it happens when the roller slips a bit. Then when sponge frustrate me I just use my pillow rollers.

Should I close over or under?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
I like velcro for certain things and sponge for others. Velcro just gives more body. I know they don't stay all that well so I use my pin curl clips to hold them in place.

I have to clip them too.

I always get them with sponge rollers. I try to use less and less hair but still get dents on occasion, sometimes it happens when the roller slips a bit. Then when sponge frustrate me I just use my pillow rollers.

I never get dents with mine. Then again, I usually use pillow rollers around the top and sides, and sponge rollers underneath, so even if I did get dents from the sponge rollers, it wouldn't be noticeable. I find that the type of curl you get from them is the same, but pillow rollers let you set more hair, are more comfortable to sleep in, and they give you more volume at the roots.

Should I close over or under?

Over. if you close under, the curl will just slip out and you'll get a really big dent at the top of the curl.

PS

A-List Customer
KittyT Saves The Day and my Set!

HTML:
Over. if you close under, the curl will just slip out and you'll get a really big dent at the top of the curl.
Today 03:19 AM

That explains it the slip and the dent! Thanks KittyT! Looks like I will be setting my hair tonight!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Kitty T- you took the words right outta my mouth :)

I myself cant use Velcro cause they get stuck in my hair.. I have had to cut one out of my hair once.. (not doing that again) lol

I use the sponge rollers and the only time I get a dent is if I dont clip it correctly or the roller is to tight.

It took me a few 10 sets to figure out why I had dents in my hair lol

jessicarabbit

New in Town
so how does one secure velcro rollers with clips? do you secure it to your hair underneath the bottom of the roller or do you clip the rollers together?

can you stick roller pins through them?

PS

A-List Customer
JessicaRabbitYou take the clip and secure the roller at the base, to the scalp. I used to use bobby pins or hair pins but they let the roller move to much and i always stretched out my bobbies so I started using the curl clips, they are faster and more secure for me.

So no dents this morning in my set. I just unrolled about 1-2 hours ago, spayed with hairspray and my curls are gone. The hot rollers are heating up now. My hair had 8 hours to set while I slept and I have nada to show for it. I am a bit bummed. It was one day dirty hair. My foam rollers sets usually do the best on just washed hair. Now that I have two day dirty maybe the hot rollers will set better. :eusa_doh: I haven't set my hair for most of the summer and just worn my natural curls. Have to get back into the grove.

(this is what i get for wearing a pixie for nearly 10 years. i missed years and years of playing with my hair)

PS

A-List Customer
Yes I was using a new one I found,

359681.jpg

Like all setting lotions reviews vary. Thought it was worth a shot.

I feel like I've been doing my hair for three days straight!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
Like all setting lotions reviews vary. Thought it was worth a shot.

Have you tried the Lottabody? I'm amazed at how much difference the right setting lotion can make in whether or not my hair holds a curl. Most spray curl activators like that let the curl fall out of my hair after an hour, even if I let it set for 12.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Lottabody is great! I put it in a spray bottle and I will spray it in my hair when I get out of the shower before rolling my set!~

I have bottle and bottle of "Name Brand" curling activators, setting lotions.. and for what.. NADA!

My hair just seems to like Lottabody.. and boy does it give me body :D :D

jessicarabbit

New in Town
thanks, PS! will give it a go! just curious, what are curl clips? I'm wondering if it would work if I did a wet set with velcro rollers in the morning, left it to dry all day and then took it out that night?

invest in some lottabody. it seriously is the best thing since sliced bread.

Georgia Peach

New in Town
Lottabody

jessicarabbit said:
invest in some lottabody. it seriously is the best thing since sliced bread.

Hi! I'm new here and this is my first post. Where do you find lottabody? It sounds like I could use some! :)

Smuterella

One Too Many
lottabody is marvellous, tho i have to use it just off full strength as my hair will not curl otherwise for love nor money

i'd like to know what pillow rollers are?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner