Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For all you Masons

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Rainy evening in Atlanta, needed a lid (I wear glasses, keeps the water off them). Wore my new, hat from the Fedora Store to a Degree Practice. Now I am NOT the best memorizer in the Lodge. The Director of Work, PM, noticed my boss lid and commented on it.

It is one boss lid and he is worried already about me being in the East with that lid.

vonwotan

Practically Family
OldSkoolFrat, Nice avatar. I am hoping to get home (after years I still call it home) to NYC to have a photo with my friend at our Grand Lodge. He was recently elected Grand Director of Cermonies in New York. We were classmates and fraternity brothers at Uni, after we graduated he joined his father's lodge and raised me.

Micawber

A-List Customer
RBH said:
OSF, I like that avatar also.
Greetings Micawber, is it still common in England to wear a topper? I myself wore a felt fedora during my time in the East.

Black or dark grey suit, white shirt, black tie and shoes but no headwear is the norm.

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
are you in that Lodge that has like 4 stories including a ball room in it ???

I wore a fedora in the East, also.

mark the shoeshine boy

PM Farmington Lodge #132
Farmington, MO

ClayBob

New in Town
Just began my year in the East. I wear a grey royal stetson most times. Occasionaly I break out the open road. The open road seems to draw the most comments from the Brethren. However, I like the way the Fedora fits and handles better.

Fraternally...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My father is a Mason (Traverse City, MI Lodge #222 F & A M.), but I'm not, and I'm trying to get him to wear a fedora. I'm going to give him one of my woolies.

dean

Gaige

One of the Regulars
Here is where I show my incredible naivete and ignorance, so forgive me...

...but my great-grandfather has the Masonic symbol (I apologize if that isn't the correct term) on his headstone.

What information, if any, can I glean from this?

deanglen

Gaige said:

...but my great-grandfather has the Masonic symbol (I apologize if that isn't the correct term) on his headstone.

1. He was a Mason.

2. He was proud of it.

Aside from being an LCMS pastor, and not a Mason, I like a lot of things about the Lodge.

dean

ClayBob

New in Town
Originally Posted by Gaige

He was a good man, and a proud member of the world's oldest and largest Fraternity. You should be proud he was your Grandfather.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
"In the East"?
Please help out a secret handshake-devoid FLounger. What on earth does that mean?

Masonic temples/meeting rooms are set up so that he or she who is presiding at that time is at the East end of the room, which usually has a raised platform and a podium. Other stations are set up in the South, East and West.

As far as I know, this is true for all Masonic organizations. It was for the Masonic girls' group I was involved with during my youth.

Nice to see so many Masons here!

deanglen

So my father could wear the fedora I'm going to give him "in the east" as long as his lodge allows it? Can I hand it to him and say, "Dad, wear this during your time in the east." and it will make sense to him? Does the WM serve "in the east" during his year? He was WM back in 1978. Can he be re-elected? Is it allowed to reveal this?

dean

ClayBob

New in Town
Originally Posted by Baron Kurtz
"In the East"?
Please help out a secret handshake-devoid FLounger. What on earth does that mean?

Baron, The East is where the chief presiding officer (Worshipful Master) is stationed in a Masonic Lodge. Masonic Lodges are set up as representations of King Solomon's Temple. The East represents the East Gate of the Temple, the West represents The West Gate, and The South represents the South gate.The three principal officers in a lodge are:

1. The Worshipful Master (sits in the East)
2. The Sr. Warden (sits in the West)
3.The Jr. Warden (sits in the south).

The North is rarely significantly represented as no light ever really filtered in from the Northern direction of the original Temple. Masons are always in search of light. Think how the sun moves throughout the day East, South, and West. Hope this helps you understand a bit better..

Originally Posted by deanglen
So my father could wear the fedora I'm going to give him "in the east" as long as his lodge allows it? Can I hand it to him and say, "Dad, wear this during your time in the east." and it will make sense to him? Does the WM serve "in the east" during his year? He was WM back in 1978. Can he be re-elected? Is it allowed to reveal this?

Yes, The Worshipful Master seves as the chief presiding officer in the Lodge and his station is located in the East. It depends on the state or jurisdiction he lives in as to what is considered proper attire. I am Master of my Lodge this year and the only head gear not allowed is a cap (unless part of an official uniform,military etc...). I wear a Grey Stetson Fedora for business meetings and an Open Road with a Cattleman's bash for degree work and special communications. As posted above some jurisdictions mandate formal dress ie a Tux and Tophat. If a Fedora is acceptable in his Lodge I am certain that your Dad will feel honored if you presented him with it and would wear it proudly on Lodge night(s). If you present it to him in the manner you described he will know exactly what you mean. Also, the location of the Master's chair is no secret at all. In the jurisdiction I live in many men have served in the East more than once throughout their Masonic journey, but again it may well depend upon what state he resides in as to the laws governing this. Don't be shy about asking your Dad any questions you have regarding Masonry, he isn't going to reveal anything he shouldn't and will probably appreciate your curiousity and interest. Contrary to popular belief very few things about the Fraternity are truly a secret anyway.

P.S. If you Google Grand Lodge of (insert the State your Dad resides in) and shoot them an email they could tell you what the dress requirements are there as well as answer any other questions you may have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran