Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For gtdean: Stacks O' Hats!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The other day in the Brotherhood of the Thin Ribbon thread gtdean commented that he was going to use my comment about not remembering what all hats I had bought when his wife complains about all his hats. I light-heartedly offered to take photos for him to show his wife, and he accepted.

It was an eye-opener for me. :eek:

I've mentioned before that I'm a visual person. Part of that is that I have a tendency to stack things where I can see them, rather than put them away nice and neat. I've always had a clutter problem, and that extends to my hats. I have, however, been buying up empty hat boxes so I can get more of my hats stored and protected the way they deserve to be.

In the mean time, though, it's a bit of a horror show. The more sensitive of you may wish to avert your eyes... :p

This isn't so bad... some hats are mine, some are my wife's:

StacksofHats3.jpg

Getting a little worse...

StacksofHats2.jpg

Moving to my home office area:

StacksofHats4.jpg

StacksofHats5.jpg

StacksofHats6.jpg

StacksofHats7.jpg

StacksofHats8.jpg

StacksofHats9.jpg

More to follow...

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Moving to the "library" and family room...

A number of the hat boxes here and a few back in my office are actually empty, waiting to be put to use.

StacksofHats1.jpg

StacksofHats.jpg

StacksofHats15.jpg

StacksofHats16.jpg

StacksofHats17.jpg

StacksofHats18.jpg

StacksofHats19.jpg

And even more to follow... :eek:

1911 Man

A-List Customer
I think they might be breeding!!

I definitely have to show this to my wife, she thinks I'm nuts for having 5 hats. I don't know how to tell her I'm looking at a 6th.

Are any of them size 7 1/8? If so, can I be in your will? ;)

carter

I'll Lock Up
That's a whole lotta hats !

You know, I thought I had a problem with hats all over the house...until I saw this!

Saw a nice Adam box in the 1st picture. A nice Stetson box in the 2nd (Is that a Lee box just to the left of it?). COOL, two Strat boxes in the 4th.

I may have the courage to do this someday. But probably not. ;) :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The Basement

Most of my better hats are actually in hat boxes already. A lot of the hats seen in the posts above need a little bit of work; many down here need a lot of work or are too small (purchased in lots when I was going for a particular hat or two in a lot).

StacksofHats13.jpg

StacksofHats12.jpg

StacksofHats11.jpg

StacksofHats10.jpg

StacksofHats14.jpg

StacksofHats20.jpg

StacksofHats21.jpg
StacksofHats23.jpg

Notice I did manage to leave a path to the wine rack.

StacksofHats24.jpg

MCrider

A-List Customer
WOW

And to think I was getting worried that maybe I was getting a few more hats than I really need. Thanks to you guys, I realized I have nothing to worry about!
;)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
And if you're not convinced I have an incredibly understanding and patient wife...

I almost forgot these, which are on the top shelf of her closet. There's another row behind the row you can see.

StacksofHats26.jpg

Tomorrow is our fifth wedding anniversary. I'm a very lucky man! :D

I also, as you can see, have a lot of work ahead of me. No, I don't know how many hats I have, nor even how many of specific types. I believe I have four Stratoliners, at least three Whippets, possibly three or four Champ Featherweights, and several St Regis', for starters. I need to create an inventory, determine which ones need work and which just a brushing, come up with better storage, use the ones that need work as practice hats for renovations, sell and/or give away ones I can't fit or don't want, and come up with some sort of rotation. For someone who has never been very organized it's gonna take some doing! lol

So, gtdean, go get your wife and tell her "It could be worse!" Or maybe you don't want to... she's liable to think "That's where this hat thing is headed!" :eusa_doh:

And here's the really scary part: I started collecting hats less than two and a half years ago!

Regards,
Tom

cookie

I'll Lock Up
The Nizam of Haterabad

Year ago the Nizam of Hyderabad decided to value his collection of jewels through de Beers.

The de Beers guy went into the depository and came out about a month later and said the following:

"If all these jewels were put on the market tomorrow precious stones would be worth nothing!"

Now extrapolate that to Tango Yankee's situation....

Of course there would be kind-hearted Floungers who want to purchase/thieve/be given some of the Nizam of Haterabad's jewels....:eek: :eek: lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
RobFedoraField said:
I saw some awsome lids there, if you got any 7 1/4's, I'd like to be in your will too
grin.gif

A majority are 7 1/4, but there are a number of 7 3/8s as well. :D For Wil Tam and 1911 Man (does that refer to the Colt?) yes, there are some 7 1/8s as well. One is the grey thin ribbon on the top of a stack with a straw behind it. I'm not sure if my wife's claimed that one for herself yet or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran