Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For my next fedora

jay_b

Familiar Face
I want something for when I go fishing and stomping through the brush. I need something that will stand up to some abuse. At first I was thinking of getting an Indiana Jones style fedora but would an oil cloth hat maybe be better? And sometimes I will hop on my motorcycle and drive out to a location then hike the final distance to a river or lake so being able to fold the oil cloth fedora is a plus. Not being able to fold the fur felt without damaging it is a bit of a negative but I suppose I could get around it.
So what do all of you think? Thanks in advance for any responses.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Kangaroo or Buffalo folding hats

While I would not stick any fish hooks in these hats, if you want a real comfortable, tough hat, I recommend a Barmah "Sundowner Roo" or "Squashy Buffalo". The kangaroo is the lightest and most comfortable, with the buffalo being a close second. These hats come with bags and you CAN REALLY fold them! They are great in rain. The longer you wear them, the more they take the shape of your head, so it becomes a custom fit naturally.

If you want something that will breath, they make some hats with mesh, but I don't know that much about them. I'll give you a link from the place I bought my Sundowner Roo from. It was the best price I could find (in the US).

Fedora it ain't. Practical and comfortable, it is! ;)

(Scroll down to the bottom of the page once you get to the link to see the ones I am talking about).

http://suncatcherhats.com/hats_aussie_leather.shtml

ledsled

One of the Regulars
size up

I forgot to mention that the Australian leather hats tend to run a bit small, so it's best if you get a size larger than your normal size. For example, a large size would fit me if it was a run-of-the-mill American hat, but an extra large kangaroo or buffalo leather hat fits me better.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
While I'm a felt fedora-kinda guy...

It's real hard to beat my Tilley for fishing and outdoors manliness. Indestructible and ventilated with head and chin straps that tuck into the crown when you don't need them. I've worn it through downpours and 50 mph windstorms. Even though I'm a true 7 1/4, I opted for a 3/8 because they seem to be cut slightly small.

Magus

Practically Family
Well, I have to say that though the pictured and mentioned hats are fine specimens in their oun right though as stated are not fedors. I just have to stand up for the Fedora Beater.

Yesterday I helped my father with some stucco/plastering work on his house (I worked my way through school doing that....thank GOD I don't have to do it regularly anymore...lol...but I digress) I wore a $12 Shuttle Bros Fedora (vintage) but really a beater. I was doing work over my head and as a result I had wet stucco (cement) falling on it all day. Not only did it hold shape, but it kept the stuff out of my eyes and since it was a hot day I built up a nice sweat in it and stayed very cool. Then, at the end of the day, I took it off and smacked it against my leg a few times thus removing the silver dollar size splotches of dried cement. After I got home I drug my fingernail across any spots that were left and it looks as good as it did before I started. Add to that it has a very depression era lived in look. I'd take it backpacking anyday...which you may want to consider...because if you wear a pack at all larger brimmed hats tend to get knocked off your head.

Shuddle%20Bros%20Rough%20Grey.jpg

Good hunting!
M

jay_b

Familiar Face
Magus- thanks for that post. I was kind of leaning towards the beater fedora and that's a pretty good sales pitch.

The reason I was thinking of the oil canvas or wax cotton, like the one Serial Hero mentioned, was for those really wet days. But really I think a fedora is more the answer because a lot of the terrain here can be very jungle like and I hate it when you are wearing a large brimmed hat and have to keep catching it as it is pushed off your head by the tree limbs and heavy bushes. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I'll keep my eye open for a cheap beater.

Thanks all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum