Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For Wearing 'Golden Era' Vintage, Are Men Socially Castigated More than Women?

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I agree with Rue on this. I think unless a chap is wearing a particularly loud suit/hat or what have you, they can pretty much blend in. I think us gals tend to stick out like a sore thumb, even if we are dressed down. As was said earlier i think it's the combination of hair/makeup/clothes/accessories, that does it.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
In answer to the original question:

Yes.

But the compliments that I've received from countless people makes me think that I don't give a damn what the others say. It's worth it. And I shall continue to dress vintage.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
For sure Rue, even if i'm putting the bins out or running errands, i've still got some red lipstick on, a headscarf, saddles, jeans for example. I don't look like the majority of women in my street wearing a tracksuit and a ponytail for doing the same chores.

rue

For sure Rue, even if i'm putting the bins out or running errands, i've still got some red lipstick on, a headscarf, saddles, jeans for example. I don't look like the majority of women in my street wearing a tracksuit and a ponytail for doing the same chores.
Exactly and like Travis said.... the angry looks and comments I think are worse. Women are mean :eeek:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen anyone but my grandmother wear a headscarf in a long time. That must turn a few heads!

I think men might get castigated more because people fear stuff that's different or strange. Or they feel put off or threatened by it.

How exactly you can be threatened by clothing, I'm not sure, but okay...

I went to my volunteer job at the local charity thrift shop the other day. And there's this new guy named Nick. He told me, in the two days that he's known me, he's been inspired to try and gussy up his wardrobe.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I've seen large family clans wearing basically amish type clothing in grocery stores. I can only assume they live on a secret "Big Love" type compound somewhere. Not sure what that is about, but I'd never give them flack. I mean come on, I look like an extra out of some black and white movie.

Pompidou

One Too Many
It all comes down to, for both men and women, whether or not the outfit looks like a costume or not. In most cases of heckling, I imagine the outfit does come across like a costume. This is a community predisposed to looking kindly on dressing in a golden era manner so we don't think anything of it. It's the era we like and bemoan the loss of. No problem with that. What if we celebrated a different era? The difference between us and Renaissance enthusiasts is that they know they stand out like a sore thumb. I, personally, have no problems at all with people dressing to be different - to stand out. In fact, I applaud it. There are consequences. Consider the broad strokes we paint "youth these days". Well, to the general public, all year-round costume wearers get painted with the same broad strokes. Might as well dress like General Cornwallis. Not necessarily right, but seems to be the case. The take away message being, subtlety is the key. If you pick your vintage with an eye for not looking out of place, you'll avoid castigation.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
This reminds me of something that i read once; "Women dress to impress other women.
Men dress to tell other men how they expect to be treated" I think that most men will "dress up" in vintage style, suits, hats, overcoats, etc. and will appear more formally dressed. As any man in a suit will stand out in most settings today, it makes others uncomfortable because they are usually dressed so poorly. Some people feel threatened and will react negatively.

I've seen large family clans wearing basically amish type clothing in grocery stores. I can only assume they live on a secret "Big Love" type compound somewhere. Not sure what that is about, but I'd never give them flack. I mean come on, I look like an extra out of some black and white movie.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Trav. You've probably seen some of these folks. They're members of a polygamist sect called the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). They're particularly big in Arizona and Texas.

4589453.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This reminds me of something that i read once; "Women dress to impress other women.
Men dress to tell other men how they expect to be treated" I think that most men will "dress up" in vintage style, suits, hats, overcoats, etc. and will appear more formally dressed. As any man in a suit will stand out in most settings today, it makes others uncomfortable because they are usually dressed so poorly. Some people feel threatened and will react negatively.

EXACTLY what I think, Swank. Very nicely put. Agree completely.

Also replying to POMPIDOU, I agree there, also. It's whether or not the clothes look like they're 'yours' and that you can wear them, or whether or not they look like some sort of costume.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Exactly and like Travis said.... the angry looks and comments I think are worse. Women are mean :eeek:

When my husband wears a suit, he gets a second look from women. The men pretty much ignore him. I've gotten such disgusted looks and nasty comments from other women that I half feel like they are confusing me with someone who they think stole their husband. The level of vitriol I've gotten from a few select women is almost unbelievable- if I hadn't experienced it myself.

Tatum

Practically Family
When my husband wears a suit, he gets a second look from women. The men pretty much ignore him. I've gotten such disgusted looks and nasty comments from other women that I half feel like they are confusing me with someone who they think stole their husband. The level of vitriol I've gotten from a few select women is almost unbelievable- if I hadn't experienced it myself.

Women are snarkier and cattier than men. I think they are also threatened more easily. But they need to ask themselves why they feel threatened by someone who is dressed differently, and not expect the rest of us to dumb it down for them.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've always been pretty daring with my wardrobe, and living in a small minded town never stopped me. but since it would be foolish for me to wear my priceless pink Hollywood slacks to my current place of business, I've morphed into a more "socially acceptable" version of myself. It's still all vintage or vintage styled, but not outrageous at all and I usually don't get a second look.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

Speaking from a woman's perspective, I'll tell you there are indeed two major camps: Women who dress for other women, and women who dress for men. The latter is usually seen as being tarty by other women. Marilyn Monroe is a great example, even going on record as saying she preferred to dress for men. She was voted "worst dressed celebrity" a few times, and many of her outfits were considered shocking or slutty, but anyone who views her objectively will agree that she was not.

I'll throw my .02 in and agree that lots of women are mean. They're so subtle that men don't tend to notice it - It can be the dirty look, the backhanded compliment, or the discreet (but not really) giggle. That said, many other women are nice and show genuine interest in your vintage look. It can be a great way to become friendly :)

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Does society castigate men more than women for wearing vintage 'golden era' clothes and accessories? And if so, could this be leading them to be more "gun-shy" about forking over cash for the stuff?
Yes. All to obvious I think. Today's "style" is all ghetto/ex-con uber-macho,..or something like that, :eusa_doh: and really no style at all as we all know.
Mass brainwashing to the extent that people are led to believe that real men must look like ex-cons and not give a hoot about color, form, real style or class in every aspect of their personal appearance. Even business dress has devolved into the awful "business casual" look,...:yuck:
But I think it's not so much a function of "society", such as that is, but rather a function of corporate marketing departments in conjunction with The Dumbing Down of America syndrome that has insidiously woven it's way into what once could rightly be called society.
In short, it's all about money. They have literally conned most guys into paying good money for "fashions" that make them look like slobs, whilst laughing all the way to the bank.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I think you've hit the nail on the head, Trav. You've probably seen some of these folks. They're members of a polygamist sect called the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS). They're particularly big in Arizona and Texas.

4589453.jpg
I think it is a sad thing that these people right here in that "off sect" of the LDS church are so brain washed. If you look at them in any picture or out in public, they have no smile, it as if you can see they have become an empty shell of a human being.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes. All to obvious I think. Today's "style" is all ghetto/ex-con uber-macho,..or something like that, :eusa_doh: and really no style at all as we all know.
Mass brainwashing to the extent that people are led to believe that real men must look like ex-cons and not give a hoot about color, form, real style or class in every aspect of their personal appearance. Even business dress has devolved into the awful "business casual" look,...:yuck:
But I think it's not so much a function of "society", such as that is, but rather a function of corporate marketing departments in conjunction with The Dumbing Down of America syndrome that has insidiously woven it's way into what once could rightly be called society.
In short, it's all about money. They have literally conned most guys into paying good money for "fashions" that make them look like slobs, whilst laughing all the way to the bank.
Hit the nail more please, you are right on with this statement!

In viewing what is being pushed by mass ads today, the majority of it is in design to be hanging off someone' "butt", for men, that droopy half off your fanny look, and garbage bag looking "sacks" for women. Lifeless, dull, nothing. Oh they silk screen a name brand on the front or back pockets to make it look like it may be something special, and to justify the price tag.

"Yes sir, that T shirt is only $200.00 on sale"! Well, no thank you. I have several packages of new BVD T shirts at home and they did not come to even 20 bucks. I can spray paint them tomorrow for an extra $2.99 that a can of any color paint could cost me.

Now to dress and dress well, it only takes a few moments of time to consider what will be sharp and toss it all together. I wear suits more than not, unless I am on a work site that I will actually be doing some work, or at my shop on a machine. Oh yes, I don't wear a suit mowing the lawn, because my Wife loves to do the mowing. I tend to not always depend on a vintage look, but a hat is always being worn and tie, cuff links, dress watch, and even at times a flower in the lapel. I have not one time felt out of place, and if anything I am always give a compliment.

At my bank, the gals working there know I am married, but if I am in the bank by myself, they flirt with me like crazy and hey, I am no spring chicken.

A group ZZ Top says it best, "ever girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters