Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found a hat that belonged to my grandfather, now what?

kkesler

New in Town
Was going through some boxes of stuff and found a hat that had to have belonged to my grandfather, as my dad didn't wear hats. Started doing some searching about how to clean it, found the forum so here I am. Haven't touched the hat as yet, as I don't want to screw it up. Going from searches it looks like sending it to Optimo is the way to go?

hat-1.jpg

hat-2.jpg

hat-3.jpg

kkesler

New in Town
Feraud said:
Is there a reason it needs to be sent to Optimo?
It looks to be in wearable condition.

For cleaning. I initially thought about brushing it off, but all my felt hats are dark so I'll need another brush...and I'm worried I'll screw it up. It's super dusty.

Feraud

Bartender
Don't worry about dusting it.
Use a medium bristle brush and simply dust it off.
You will not damage the hat.
I am sure many of us would like to have something similar from our grandparents. Enjoy it.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Using the same brush you've used on a dark colored hat really won't hurt it. Brush it off and you're good to go.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
With some seriously dusty hats I found it sometimes difficult to get the dust off the lid - the brush just kinda rubed it into the felt. In those cases I used duct tape. Cut of a strip of tape, apply it to the dusted area, pull it off again and the dust will stick to the tape. It's a tedious process but it works like a charm. After that you can have a go with the brush as usual.

Lovely hat, by the way! :) Reminds me of one of my Maysers: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=789139&postcount=102

kkesler said:
For cleaning. I initially thought about brushing it off, but all my felt hats are dark so I'll need another brush...and I'm worried I'll screw it up. It's super dusty.
It must be lighter than the photo shows, cause that would get my dark hat brush if the color is true in the photo. I'd agree that a good brushing is all the hat appears to need. Worst case, go get a cheap shoe brush or order an orange sponge & have at that bad boy.
Welcome to the lounge. My grandmother was from the Winder area & a college friend is a doctor there. I go thru on the way to UGA games in the fall.

Feraud

Bartender
Mario said:
With some seriously dusty hats I found it sometimes difficult to get the dust off the lid - the brush just kinda rubed it into the felt. In those cases I used duct tape. Cut of a strip of tape, apply it to the dusted area, pull it off again and the dust will stick to the tape. It's a tedious process but it works like a charm. After that you can have a go with the brush as usual.

I would urge caution when using duct tape to pick up dust or lint from fedoras or clothes.
There is a potential of having the glue from the tape adhere to the material.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Brush it with a soft horsehair brush counter clockwise as viewed from the top. You will be amazed what a good brushing can do.

I'm thinking now of a very dusty brown Barbisio that looked really horrible when I got it. I took it outside, popped the crown open, and brushed it. Wow! it looked almost good as new after that.

rgraham

A-List Customer
Make sure if you do brush, to go in one direction. I forget what direction that is, but someone here will let you know. I think it's counterclockwise when looking down on the top of the hat.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...Horse Country over in Buford used to carry hat sponges. I'm not sure if Tony Steele still owns it, since I noticed it is now Cowboy & Motorcycle apparrel instead of a western tack shop. May be worth a call. Also, you can try any Southern States/Purina feed stores have western wear & may have them.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
I would urge caution when using duct tape to pick up dust or lint from fedoras or clothes.
There is a potential of having the glue from the tape adhere to the material.

Of course you need to be careful. I have some very light tesa tape that has almost no glue applied to it - a big mess if you need to really tape something with it, but for dust busting purposes it's just great. Never had any problems with it.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I would strongly suggest not using any tape on that hat. A good brushing will do wonders. Fantastic find and welcome to the Lounge:eusa_clap

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This may be thought of as sacrilege, but I have used a vacuum cleaner with its upholstery brush attachment to clean hats. Works pretty well, and quickly. Pulled all the dust right out. Just make sure the brush is clean.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kkesler said:
Well what do you know, whisk whisk whisk and decades of dust came right off.

Thanks!

hat-5.jpg

Great hat, and with years of character already built in. You are fortunate to have found it, and I bet your grandfather has a big, proud grin on his face because you found it where he left it for you and you are wearing it.

Enjoy it and wear it in good health and in remembrance of your heritage.

And, by the way, welcome to the Fedora Lounge. You will like it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn