Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Four Button, Faux Pas? A Question

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Well gents, a bit of a question. I acquired recently a rather nice navy worsted wool two piece for practically nothing, and in my excitement, dashed out and had it fitted, and was quite satisfied. In my haste however, I had failed to notice until later that, as I now understand it, the four button is generally considered a bit dated and odd, and rarely worn, especially by younger men. Now it doesn't button particularly high like say a turn of the century sack coat; the top button sits at the base of the sternum. It doesn't help that I'm a bit on the shorter side, and I've read we dwarven fellows really should stick to two or even one button. Now, I am generally of the school that if you like something, wear it and wear it with confidence, and you can make it yours. However, I thought it best to inquire of my more sartorially experienced brethren, just in case.

Apologies for no photos, by the way. Rather rude of me, but I lack camera access at the moment.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Historically they existed in the late Victorian / Edwardian era and made a small comeback in the 1990s. Whilst they are unusual these days there is no sartorial reason not to wear one. I would say that if it fits, looks good on you and you feel comfortable in it then wear it. I strongly believe in ignoring "rules" that dictate what short or tall people should and shouldn't wear.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You just asked in the fedora lounge if a style would appear "dated"? You would get different opinions in some other forums.

If it fits well just wear it. Most people don't even wear well fittings clothes so you already have an advantage. I guess in this day and age the fashion is not as regulated as it used to be. Of course you can find blogs or forums who obsess over rules but the normal people out there? They don't care. Maybe in a very conservative business like a bank.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If you want a longer lapel roll and show more tie/shirt, you can have the lapels pressed to roll to the second button.

4 button jackets never really went away... you can find also examples from the 20-50's, although they were rare and mostly for sportcoats.

BriarWolf

One of the Regulars
Right, well thanks much for the input everyone.

You just asked in the fedora lounge if a style would appear "dated"? You would get different opinions in some other forums.

Well I meant dated more in the sense of say, parachute pants, in a sartorial iteration that failed to acquire timelessness in style.

The vibe I personally get from this suit is rather formal, in a 'Church, Funeral, and Boardroom' sense. I do like it, and intend to wear it, especially with the affirmation given, though I think my two button blazers will be seeing more action in the lounge as opposed to this ensemble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael