Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From the mind of George Lucas

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The thing I love about the horror that is The Star Wars Holiday Special is that it's just about the only remaining proof that there was a moment when George Lucas was caught off guard by the success of Star Wars, and he actually agreed to let the TV suits throw together a crappy cash-in special.

Now that he's had Emperor-like control of Star Wars for 25 years (and has rewritten its history to suit his needs repeatedly - so much so that younger folks really believe his pretentious post-Joseph Campbell pronouncements about its scope and goals), it's hard to recall that the future of the franchise was so wide open back then. There was more Jack Kirby than Joseph Campbell in Lucas's thinking then, and his only original goal was to make a successful picture in the style of the old 1930s Flash Gordon serials, not "create a new mythology that speaks to today's generation".

Of course, he's done such a good job retconning his intentions that I know that virtually nobody on this board under 45 or so will believe me. Please take my word for it as a lifelong film and SF fan who had just graduated from college with a degree in English in 1977 and read *everything* related to Star Wars starting a year before its release: Lucas's concept of Star Wars was a lot less pretentious and grandiose back at the beginning!

Feraud

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Now that he's had Emperor-like control of Star Wars for 25 years (and has rewritten its history to suit his needs repeatedly - so much so that younger folks really believe his pretentious post-Joseph Campbell pronouncements about its scope and goals)
Exactly. I always thought Lucas was a one (or two) trick pony unlike a tremendous Golden Era director like say.. Howard Hawks. Hawks directed for about 50 years and worked successfully in genres like Sci-Fi(The Thing From Another World), Comedy (Bringing Up Baby), Drama (The Big Sleep), Adventure (Hatari) with a lot in between!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Anyone who has studied film for any length of time knows that Lucas is a one-trick pony who never lived up to the initial promise of THX-1138, American Grafitti, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and the first couple of SW films... if he's not an outright hack.

Unfortunately, a big chunk of our younger population revere him as a writing/producing/directing god - but many of these same folks have never seen films by Hawks, Ford, Huston, Wyler, Wilder, Kramer, Zinneman, Kurosawa, Bergman, Cocteau, Sturges (Preston AND John), Fellini, Lean, Welles, and so on. The people who say things like "I don't like b/w movies" or "Star Wars is my dad's favorite movie". The people whose near-total lack of knowledge and taste drives the current film/entertainment industry.

You know, when I was a kid, all I wanted was for Star Trek, Marvel Comics, and all kinds of SF and pulp materials to get big-budget film adaptations that would put them more into the mainstream... Now that that has happened, and what used to be considered juvenile crap has BECOME the mainstream, I feel that we've really lost something in the process. Where are the A-list, serious films? Oh, there are still some made, but way less (and mostly way less good) then there used to be... Be careful what you wish for!

Feraud

Bartender
Doctor Strange said:
Unfortunately, a big chunk of our younger population revere him as a writing/producing/directing god - but many of these same folks have never seen films by Hawks, Ford, Huston, Wyler, Wilder, Kramer, Zinneman, Kurosawa, Bergman, Cocteau, Sturges (Preston AND John), Fellini, Lean, Welles, and so on.
Good point.
We sometimes talk about the "dumbing down" of society. I am not sure if this was also a complaint in the Golden Era or not.
However, I do think people need to have a greater appreciation of Art, Literature, and Film. It does not matter what you appreciate as long as you appreciate something!
I frequently encounter people who know very little about Film (or any other form or Art actually) outside of a particular over paid actor. If you are not talking Tom Cruise, the next blockbuster movie, or who had a "wardrobe malfunction", the eyes glaze over.
People need to pick something and get interested in it!

melankomas

One of the Regulars
oh, my.

i haven't been this near tears since...well, i don't recall, precisely, but i'm certain it involved someone in a terrifying fast food franchise mascot costume trying to hug me as a child.

sweet mother of strawberry malted milkshakes...

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Art Carne?????
"I always love making a Wookie happy."
ROFL!!!
Bea Arthur as a Bar Hostess????
OMG:eek:

Man, I'm glad I didn't see this as a kid- I'd still be in therapy!
Thanks for the post!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
I was having crazy Honeymooners episodes run through my head with Ed and Ralph getting into kooky situations that included lightsabers, the Force, wookies, etc.

Now that would be a TV special worth watching!lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never seen Star Wars, but I remember this being on during babysitting. It seemed there were some quite quiet moments, (I'll have to watch the long version) where the characters were just kinda hanging out groovin' on the holiday spirit. I do know that my branch library still had the soundtrack on vinyl in their holiday collection when I started working there mid-90s and patrons borrowed it. I inherited the whole vinyl collection when the librarian dumped it, since she knew I sold records. lol

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Re: Singin' In The Rain SE, makes me think of a great South Park episode...

"Coming this summer, it's the motion picture that changed America. Saving Private Ryan, the RE-RE-RELEASE, where the word "NAZI" has been changed to "PERSONS WITH POLITICAL DIFFERENCES," and all the guns have been replaced by walkie-talkies."

"And now, for your feature presentation: the classic RE-RE-RE-RELEASE of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back! In the version, the word "WOOKIE" has been changed to "HAIR CHALLENGED ANIMAL" and the entire cast has been digitally replaced by Ewoks."

"Announcer: Coming, this summer! It's the digitally-enhanced re-release of the very first pilot episode of South Park! Yes, the classic, rough, hand-made first episode is getting a make-over for 2002! The simple, funny aliens are now super-****** and kewl! The flying saucer? No longer cheap construction paper, but a 4.0 megapixel digital masterpiece of technology! Everything's new! New is better!

Trey Parker: When we first made South Park, we didn't wanna use construction paper. We just had to because it was cheap.

Matt Stone: And now with new technology we can finally remaster South Park, make it look sharp, clean and focused.

Trey Parker: And expensive.

Announcer: Yes, all the charm of a simple little cartoon will melt before your eyes as it is replaced by newer and more standardized animation!

Trey Parker: For instance, in the scene at the bus stop, we always meant to have Imperial walkers and giant dewback lizards in the background, but simply couldn't afford it.

Announcer: Get this special enhanced version quick, because another enhanced version will likely be coming out for 2003!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner