Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Front Seat vs Back Seat Where do you stand?

If Mom and Dad were both in the car, I was usually in the back seat, or the way back in the case of the family wagon, and later minivan. As the oldest child, if I was with just one parent, I got to ride shotgun. In high school, I usually drove, as my wagon held the most people, if riding, I typically had shotgun. Today's cars are pretty small in the back and I was the biggest fella in our circle of friends, so they'd let me have the front.

Rathdown

Practically Family
I think it really depends on the car. Riding in the back of most SUVs makes me car car sick. The worst was a friend's extended wheelbase Range Rover. Even in city conditions after a few miles I was ready to toss lunch, so it was "up front" or "up chuck" in that car. Generally I don't mind riding up front or in the back, but I don't like sitting on jump seats unless it's for a very short ride. Since most cars today are designed for the "owner driver" I think riding up front is generally more companionable, although my business partner almost inevitably opts to ride in the back.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The best back seat to ride in was always the open back of a pickup truck, being bounced around along with a rusty jack, a pile of tire chains, and a case full of empty Orange Crush bottles. Nothing says "summer vacation" more than that.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
As a kid i preferred the rear facing back seat of a station wagon. Now I prefer the driver seat. If I have to ride as a passenger in someone else's vehicle I call shotgun. If cars still came with rear facing back seats I might still be interested in that spot.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I prefer shotgun unless I'm riding in the limo and even then I sometimes sit up front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy