Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral Attire...

gravedigger

New in Town
I have been wanting to start a topic like this for awhile and I now can since I have been accepted or whatever.. .. Oh well but anyway, What do you all suggest as funeral attire? I am wondering more in the ways of mobster look really. I work at a funeral home and own several collar bars, and like that style, an eyelet pin shirt would be a huge plus. Any Suggestions?

Thanks alot!

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
There were some posts regarding collar bars and eyelet pin shirts just on here. Though I must say they did not have the term, "eyelet pin shirt" used, there was some debate as to the proper term for such. I wore such shirts in the 80's.:)

Recently a customer left a pen from a funeral home in my Bank Branch. Has been the only pen that no one has stolen in the last week. It is a keeper.:p

Pleased to meet you Digger.:)

gravedigger

New in Town
Correct I noticed that thread, kinda looking for more suggestions actually on achieving the look, lol by the look for me its gotta be italian mafia sorta I currently wear the collar bar suspenders tie chain black 3 button suit with a wool trench and square toe shoes if this helps at all for anyone...

(You are right noone would steal a funeral home pen, ever lol)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I tend to tone down my attire when attending a funeral, so I would pass on a collar bar/pin. Dark suit, white shirt, subdued tie and no pocket square.

... by the look for me its gotta be italian mafia sorta I currently wear the collar bar suspenders tie chain black 3 button suit with a wool trench and square toe shoes if this helps at all for anyone...

This is why I never got into collar bars and colored shirts with white cuffs and collar. Being of Italian descent, I didn't want to end up looking like the neighborhood gavones I couldn't stand. :D

Regards,

Senator Jack

Merlin

Familiar Face
gravedigger said:
by the look for me its gotta be italian mafia sorta I currently wear the collar bar suspenders tie chain black 3 button suit with a wool trench and square toe shoes if this helps at all for anyone...

Since you work at the funeral home, it would probably be a good idea to tone the look down a bit when you're on the clock. After all, you don't want to worry patrons. If you can manage to finagle your way behind the wheel of one of the hearses, though (when you're off-duty, I'd suggest), then that would be a great time to mob it up a bit.

TOTTIE

One of the Regulars
This is going to sound a bit weird, but I think it's important not to 'upstage' the deceased person's family. I'd never go for top-to-toe black if I'm not close family because it makes you look like you're overdoing the mourning thing as a fashion statement. So yes, understated is good.

gravedigger

New in Town
Alright, I was also thinking maybe a black armband also to dress it up for when I am not wearing the suit jacket. I understand what you all mean on the not to show it off too bad. I am just wondering what all I could do not all at once haha no way. Def do not want to show the fam up...

gravedigger

New in Town
Roger said:
The suit doesn't have to be black all the time. A gray or dark gray would work. Nothing flashy like salmon, peach or red.lol Collar bars? Why not? You're going to be charging the people a lot, so look dignified.
That is my thoughts exactly... Glad someone else also shares my thinking. haha

ps. I will look into that about George Bailey Thanks!

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not mobster, but funeral appropriate:

oxxford090806kx8.jpg

Like you, I have occasion to attend funerals for those I don't know nor have even met.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That looks very appropriate, Alan.

I'm going to rethink my position on pocket squares, your TV fold looks just right.

gravedigger

New in Town
Well, not to contradict you AlanC but the attire people prefer is actually on the change, no people arent wearing white and yellow and things but you see more reds and darker colors actually.

If you look at the funeral home staff in your area look at what they are wearing, most of the time it is usually matching suits and ties, in either greys blacks or blues, here it is black with gold tie chain and whatnot.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's dangerous to choose what to wear based on what others prefer or are wearing. A recent funeral I attended had a fellow (a member of the family, I believe) who wore jeans and one of those big wallets that attaches to the belt with a thick chain. Not recommended.

Tomasso, thanks for the kind words. I can't bear to wear a suit or sportcoat without a pocket square of some sort.

Roger

A-List Customer
It's dangerous to choose what to wear based on what others prefer or are wearing. A recent funeral I attended had a fellow (a member of the family, I believe) who wore jeans and one of those big wallets that attaches to the belt with a thick chain. Not recommended.

I hope it was because he just got off work at the docks, and lived 70 miles away and didn't have time to change his clothes.:eek: My goodness.

undertaker

Practically Family
One Man's Opinion

Welcome to the lounge Gravedigger, I am glad to see another from our profession with some style.
As a regular funeral attender, I always wear a dark suit and a white shirt. I do however wear my bow ties a little less drab, that all black thing looks as though a man has no personality. I also wear my regular jewelery, one ring on each hand, watch, bracelet, and when I wear three piece suit I wear a pocket watch with a vest chain and I always wear a pocket square. So far I have had no complaints only positive complements. The bow ties have become so regular a prt of my wardrobe for me that when I was offered a position at a firm where they always dress alike and the owner offered to pay to have me some bow ties cut to match the strait ties the others wear. I guess "proper" really varies from person to person or in our case firm to firm.

Have a BURY nice daylol ,
J.S.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80