Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral wear

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I'm curious to know what loungers would wear to a funeral.

One reason being I wonder if there are any rules or traditions I've not heard of that may apply now or have applied in the Golden Era.

The other would be it might be seen as disrespectful to some to dress a certain way at a funeral. Appropriate vintage attire could be seen as a costume making light of the situation.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Well for me I go with dark wears. Doesn't have to be black, though it is an affair which requires respect and honor for the individual being burried.

You don't have to wear black, though I think society is stepping too far away from the tradition of wearing black. You may be celebrating the movement of a soul from one realm to the next, or thinking that everything for the individual has ended... either way it's a sad day in many hearts. I tend to wear Navy blue or dark grey, thoguh in the future i think I'll be wearing black.

It's never making light of the situation if you stay away from looking too Macabre

Elaina

One Too Many
Probably not going to be of much help here, but I don't wear anything because I don't go.

It's an odd fact in my family that if I show up, I didn't really like you all that much.

Last time I went to a funeral (over 10 years now) I wore a seafoam green, but I did wear a black armband.

From a manners book written in 1939 an outfit must be black for an adult and women could wear a darker color like red or green for shoes and a handbag, and men should wear black suits with a solid shirt and tie, preferable white and black, or barring these colors, lighter color shirt with a matching tie, such as light grey and dark grey tie. Children were permitted navy with white accents. Women are required to wear a veil with the hat, while men do not wear one at all (which goes against the time sort of). Shoes for men and boys are black, little girls was white.

Wearing black is an old superstition about the dead being ghosts and following you home. It is now considered to be an outdated custom, and many current manner books tell you it is no longer necessary.

Elaina

ortega76

Practically Family
The last two funerals I atended, I wore dark suits. One was a black suit with a white shirt and black/white tie. The other was a charcoal suit with white shirt and a black tie. Most of the men in attendance opted for shirts and ties but not suits. Some of the younger members went for black short sleeved shirts.

mikepara

Practically Family
its personal..

..Its all about you paying your respects. If not to the Dead, then to the family in attendance.

I don't think fashion or manners come into it. Personally I'd wear a black tie and a sober suit.

At such a distressing moment I would only attend if I was family member or a real friend. I don't think in that case anyone would comment on dress.

I once witnessed a clown funeral. There was clowns in attendance paying respects. didn't look out of place in the circumstance.....I just hope they don't turn up for mine!

Wear whatever's appropriate. The clown example is a good one.

I hope when i'm buried in the woods - to feed the trees, you understand - people turn up in the best clothes they own. If this means a white Palm Beach suit, so be it!

A good vintage angle would be the black armband. I think the demise of the armband is one of the great crimes of the past half century ...

bk

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For my dad's memorial service last week, I wore one of the same modern-day 40s-style dresses I wore to his 55the Army reunion the week before: a tasteful Talbots black and white print dress self-belted, vintage black button-up sweater, black dressy wedgies from Target and a vintage little black velveteen hat and vintage small black handbag. Hose, of course.
It was at 7 pm in a church, so most people pulled out nice clothing. One gal wore skintight jeans, but at least she showed up.
My hubby appropriately wore his BDUs.

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
For my husband's grandmother's memorial service a couple of weeks ago, I wore a long, grey plaid skirt with a blaco cardigan and black shoes and trouser socks. My husband wore a charcoal grey buttoned shirt with black trousers, shoes and socks.

I agree with the idea that these days, the dress is about respect. But that is only my opinion, and what I am comfortable with, and I would not tell others that they "should" feel the same way.

BegintheBeguine: my condolences on your father's passing.

--Leslie

Sunny

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
A good vintage angle would be the black armband. I think the demise of the armband is one of the great crimes of the past half century ...
Not quite so extreme :) but I definitely agree. There have been times when I've wanted to show publicly a symbol of mourning and respect, like for a certain great political leader. An armband would've exactly suited my mood. But alas! It would not mean the same to those about me.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I wore a longish navy skirt and navy sweater to my sister's funeral last year. My other sister wore an aqua track suit. :eusa_doh:

Jay

Practically Family
I'm impressed with any sort of dressing up for a funeral. Last year at my Uncles, someone from a far side of the family came in with sneakers, jean shorts, and an un-tucked polo shirt. I almost got in a fight with him.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Jay said:
I'm impressed with any sort of dressing up for a funeral. Last year at my Uncles, someone from a far side of the family came in with sneakers, jean shorts, and an un-tucked polo shirt. I almost got in a fight with him.
Yeah, I was completely unimpressed with the folks at work last year, too, and was sorely tempted to box some ears. One guy came to the funeral of a co-worker in a white t-shirt with some cheesy logo on it, fer cryin' out loud. This to honor a retired Marine Corps First Sergeant with 26 years of service and two tours in Vietnam. The guy's t-shirt contrasted nicely with the Marine honor guard's dress blues. :eusa_doh: I wore a black suit, and was sorry I hadn't worn my dress uniform.

undertaker

Practically Family
From the Front Lines

As a regular funeral attender, I prefer dark suits, long sleved white shirts, and conservative ties. However it does appear today that there are no rules as to how a person should dress for this particular event. I see everything these days. Today on a funeral I worked, there was a lady who was very scantly clad, a young man wearing a double breasted suit and a T-shirt, and several men with their trousers hanging off their butts and shirts untucked.
I often look at pictures in some of my old text books and trade magazines of funerals and wonder what we've come to as a society. It seems there is no respect for one's self or the dead.
In my opinion a man in a good, dark colored, well fitting, vintage suit, although out of place:) , would seem very suitible for a funeral.

Regards,
JS, Mortician

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have a pair of "funeral cufflinks" (circa 1920) that once belonged to my great-grandfather. They are very simple: made of dull metal coated in flat black enamel. No surface decoration whatsoever. I also have a black funeral necktie of his from the same era. Very plain, black wool serge. Again, no decorative pattern.

The key was to show no ostentation whatsover. Shininess, at least for the men, was out.

At funerals, I wear a solid black suit (with absolutely NO pocket handkerchief), a solid white shirt, a solid black tie, and black shoes. Oh, and those black cufflinks. That's it. It's just my personal preference.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
When my grandpa passed last year, I wore my navy suit, gray fedora, a dark blue tie with an orchid painted on it, and black cap-toe shoes. I was the best dressed person there and my parents grpied that the hat was overboard, but I got a lot of compliments and nobody said anything about my attire being inappropriate.

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
I wore a blue shirt and a blue pattered tie with a charchol grey suit to my grandpa's funeral in '04. I told my mom I wanted a black suit and a black tie. The grey was alright but I really don't know why she would not get me a black tie.

Speaking of that, that was when I first really started getting into suits and ties. Later that night (of the funeral) I was trying to perfect the knot of a tie. For a split second I was about to go find my grandpa to ask him. :( I miss him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran