Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

rumblefish

One Too Many
^

What do I have to lose but one season, right?[huh] Good enough, I'll give it a try when I prune the rest next winter. I don't think I ever pruned it because I like the rosy flowers it gets and just ignored that it never produced well. A prune, and a threat,,, then if nothing, I'll take it out!

Malathion isn't as cute!:p

rumblefish said:
^

What do I have to lose but one season, right?[huh] Good enough, I'll give it a try when I prune the rest next winter. I don't think I ever pruned it because I like the rosy flowers it gets and just ignored that it never produced well. A prune, and a threat,,, then if nothing, I'll take it out!

Malathion isn't as cute!:p

If it is bearing flowers then it should bear fruit as a result. That is an interesting conundrum. Perhaps it flowers to early for your area for the bees to fix up and pollinate. Try a camel hair paintbrush and go from flower to flower. You can be the bee. It works--- no matter how silly it sounds. :p Threatening works too. I can attest to it. Now if I can threaten the squirrel enough to get him to leave my peach tree alone.......:rage:
Malathion is cuter. It works faster. ;) :p

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
If it is bearing flowers then it should bear fruit as a result. That is an interesting conundrum. Perhaps it flowers to early for your area for the bees to fix up and pollinate. Try a camel hair paintbrush and go from flower to flower. You can be the bee. It works--- no matter how silly it sounds. :p Threatening works too. I can attest to it. Now if I can threaten the squirrel enough to get him to leave my peach tree alone.......:rage:
:p
You know, it does bloom way earlier than any other peach in my area, like a day or two after the apricot. You may be on to something...

You can always try airmailing the squirrel a sleeping pill, if ya' know what I mean :D You read last my post in the "Who ate what" thread, right?

rumblefish said:
You know, it does bloom way earlier than any other peach in my area, like a day or two after the apricot. You may be on to something...

You can always try airmailing the squirrel a sleeping pill, if ya' know what I mean :D You read last my post in the "Who ate what" thread, right?

I think I'll airmail you the squirrel after the sleeping pill takes effect.;) :p You don't need to send me any leftovers either. :eek: :p
A day or two after the apricot?! That is very early for a peach or nectarine. In your area, that would mean it is a nice accent tree----not a fruit tree. :p You need to artificially pollinate it for sure. Sound slike a variety we should be raising here not where you are. Hawaii might be good for it too. :D

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
*bump*

Here is my new gardens harvest so far ( not the actual quantities it has produced)

P6290011.jpg

Lavender and purple snap beans! The yellow squash will be next!:D

Samantha

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Arg, its starting to get way to hot out here. My brussel sprouts are starting to wilt and get brown, green beans stopped growing. Thinking of putting up a bit of an umbrella to keep some of the sun off of it, see it that helps.

Miss 1929 said:
James, stop with the malathion!!!

http://www.chem-tox.com/malathion/research/

Rumblefish, I adore your mantis. I am going to go get one! I have aphids galore.

I never had any of those problems. I even remember back when they used to spray it for the medfly around here. The guy in charge actually drank a big glass full in front of cameras--nothing ever happened to him. ;) :p

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
My tomatoes went in late and have yet to really take off. I'm solarizing the area on the left to kill weeds, and the rhubarb on the right has had a good year. This was also the first year I've used straw for mulch, and I've very happy with the result.

IMG_0131.jpg
[/IMG]

My zucchini, on the other hand, are doing great!

IMG_0132.jpg

And the flowers on my back porch are gorgeous, too, if I do say so myself!

IMG_0133.jpg

Foofoogal said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090710/us_nm/us_blight_usa

Potato blight on tomatoes on potatoes. :eusa_doh:

I was going to suggest Daconil and I see the article recommends the same thing. My friend has had problems with mildew on his zucchini plants and pumpkins this year. It has been quite cool for this area and that contributes quite a bit.
My problem has been my idiot neighbor who waters a large patch of her garden later in the evening----directly across the fence from my roses. :eusa_doh: :rage: I was wondering why it started all of a sudden until I caught her watering hte yard at about 7pm! What a fool!:mad:
So out came the rsoe pride to fix it. They all look fine except one. I am getting the bill ready to give her if it dies. :rolleyes:
Fortunately the tomatoes are on the other side of the yard. However, the tangerines and one orange are in the line of fire. :mad:

rumblefish

One Too Many
So, this year at the Long Island Fair at Bethpage Restoration Village I entered some vegies and a jar of crabapple jelly.
I won blue ribbons for California Wonder Bell Pepper and Cherokee Wax Beans, Red ribbons for Cherry Grande Tomatoes and Stringless Green Bush Beans, and White ribbons for Butternut Squash and my crabapple jelly. My Habanero Peppers won nothing:( .... Fixed.:p

Humility over pride but,,, when friends are invited over for dinner now, I'll be asking, "Would you like me to pass you my award winning beans?"

rumblefish said:
So, this year at the Long Island Fair at Bethpage Restoration Village I entered some vegies and a jar of crabapple jelly.
I won blue ribbons for California Wonder Bell Pepper and Cherokee Wax Beans, Red ribbons for Cherry Grande Tomatoes and Stringless Green Bush Beans, and White ribbons for Butternut Squash and my crabapple jelly. My Habanero Peppers won nothing:( .... Fixed.:p

Humility over pride but,,, when friends are invited over for dinner now, I'll be asking, "Would you like me to pass you my award winning beans?"

Very inspiring!

rumblefish said:
I won blue ribbons for California Wonder Bell Pepper and Cherokee Wax Beans, Red ribbons for Cherry Grande Tomatoes and Stringless Green Bush Beans, and White ribbons for Butternut Squash and my crabapple jelly. My Habanero Peppers won nothing:( .... Fixed.

Not bad at all. :D
Speaking of crab apple and such, The wife brought in a few Quinces yesterday.:rolleyes: Hard as rocks. I tried slicing them up---cut my hand in the process. :rolleyes: :eusa_doh: They got thrown in a pot with lots of sugar and cinnamon. Baked in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes and they still stunk. :p They are so tart that they give you a headache.
Ok, so I still ate them.;) :p I grew 'em. They got to be eaten. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Quince are for jelly. And, I hear, wine/cider, but you didn't hear that from me.

Actually I just love quince trees for their flowers, but still, in apple jelly it works a treat and they have enough pectin in them supposedly they make even non-cooperative fruits do the jelly thing.

Viola said:
Quince are for jelly. And, I hear, wine/cider, but you didn't hear that from me.

Actually I just love quince trees for their flowers, but still, in apple jelly it works a treat and they have enough pectin in them supposedly they make even non-cooperative fruits do the jelly thing.

Suffice it to say that the Quince tree/bush is going to get a good shearing this year. I really can't use what it produces. ;) :p
The flowers are another thing so it can be a better flowering shrub than a fruit tree. Geez, I am glad it was a volunteer and i didn't pay money for the darned thing.:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn