Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I am not sure how well the peach will do where you are but I hope it works out for you.
Horseradish doesn't take over your garden?!
What color are you looking for as well?

I want a hybrid tea with maybe reds and pinks in the petals at once- Such a thing?

Actually peach does very well on Long Island, having a maritime climate and all. The only thing I know we can't grow on trees is citrus (that's why I envy you your grapefruit tree). There are quit a few peach farms that do nicely here. I grew one at my father's house years ago, if I skipped the bordeaux, it might get leaf-curl, but only occasionally. I never sprayed malathion on it and it only got one borer- which I dispatched with a lock pick.:D My trees at my house however, have gotten their oil, a month from that they'll get their sulfur and/or copper (no sulfur for apricots), and get their shots of captan/malathion after petal-fall. The all organic veg garden gets only BT, and the lawn just neem oil, but I'm not about to let the fruit on the trees go to bugs and diseases.:p

I do the to horseradish what I do to the raspberries; dig a trench around them every spring. Since harvesting it has me digging to China anyway:rolleyes: , it's not much more effort.

Mint only grows in pots in my yard. Although it needs to be cut in quarters and re-potted to rejuvenate it by late July.

Roundup- the best edger there is!;) But I tried to use it to contain the horseradish after the first season, the horseradish just asked for more.:p

Do the traps for coddling moth work? The traps for japanese beetles sure work for me. I think I may have collapsed their population in my neighborhood.:eusa_clap

I lived in Copiague until my early 20's and the thing a recall was that the neighbors behing us had some fruit trees which got pruned back and wrapped up in the winter to protect them. It was a bit chilling to view them on a cold moonlit winter night as they looked like bodies standing in their back yard. It was creepy to me.

rumblefish said:
I want a hybrid tea with maybe reds and pinks in the petals at once- Such a thing?

Actually peach does very well on Long Island, having a maritime climate and all. The only thing I know we can't grow on trees is citrus (that's why I envy you your grapefruit tree). There are quit a few peach farms that do nicely here. I grew one at my father's house years ago, if I skipped the bordeaux, it might get leaf-curl, but only occasionally. I never sprayed malathion on it and it only got one borer- which I dispatched with a lock pick.:D My trees at my house however, have gotten their oil, a month from that they'll get their sulfur and/or copper (no sulfur for apricots), and get their shots of captan/malathion after petal-fall. The all organic veg garden gets only BT, and the lawn just neem oil, but I'm not about to let the fruit on the trees go to bugs and diseases.

I do to the horseradish what I do to the raspberries; dig a trench around them every spring. Since harvesting it has me digging to China anyway:rolleyes: , it's not much more effort.

Mint only grows in pots in my yard. Although it needs to be cut in quarters and re-potted to rejuvenate it by late July.

Roundup- the best edger there is! But I tried to use it to contain the horseradish after the first season, the horseradish just asked for more.:p

Do the traps for coddling moth work? The traps for japanese beetles sure work for me. I think I may have collapsed their population in my neighborhood.

For Hybrid teas, I have a rather short list. Scentimental is a red pink color. I like the Hybrid Perpetual Ferdinand Pichard better but if it is a hybrid tea you want....;)
Geez, I hate grapefruit. I just threw away a dozen that fell off both trees. I am going to have to step up my search for a person who will topdress the darned trees with something other than grapefruit before I get out the chainsaw. :rage:
Man, you are growing horeseradish the super hard way. I don't eat enough of it for it to become that big a hobby for me. :eek:
Horseradish is tough to kill. That is why I keep it in pots.
I don't really have problems with codling moths here but my nurseryman says the traps work---too well. They attract them to your yard. :eusa_doh:
I am guessing that the bettle traps do the same thing. You might well have attracted every last one to your yard and killed them all. lol
You must have an interesting yard if mint only grows in pots but horseradish goes everywhere. :p Mint grows everywhere out here. :eusa_doh:

oh, a few bi-color roses of mention for you also might be Typhoon, Duet, Flaming Peace and Comtesse Vandal (yeah I know but the name aside, it is a decent looking rose)
Comtesse Vandal not in its greatest color form but you get the idea:
724.jpg

Flaming Peace:
2004.jpg

Shades of Autumn
1062.jpg

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Man, you are growing horeseradish the super hard way. I don't eat enough of it for it to become that big a hobby for me.

I eat horseradish right out of the jar.;)
I also grate it fresh and mix it with grated potato and egg white as a coating for frying fish.

Thanks for the rose help.:)
I looked on Google for Comtesse Vandal images- That may be it if I can find it!:eusa_clap

rumblefish said:
I eat horseradish right out of the jar.;)
I also grate it fresh and mix it with grated potato and egg white as a coating for frying fish.

Thanks for the rose help.:)
I looked on Google for Comtesse Vandal images- That may be it if I can find it!:eusa_clap

Right out of the jar!? :eek: :eusa_doh: Then again, that doesn't surprise me. You drink Cynar right out of the bottle. :eek:
If you can't find it locally, I have a few sources. I have a vintage gardens out here. They have it in stock for an own root rose. Introduced in 1932, it is still a good performer---and it's vintage. ;) :p
You can also use helpmefind/roses.com . That usually helps but I am still looking for my holy grail rose---Grenoble. [huh]

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Right out of the jar!? :eek: :eusa_doh: Then again, that doesn't surprise me. You drink Cynar right out of the bottle. :eek:
If you can't find it locally, I have a few sources. I have a vintage gardens out here. They have it in stock for an own root rose. Introduced in 1932, it is still a good performer---and it's vintage. ;)
You can also use helpmefind/roses.com . That usually helps but I am still looking for my holy grail rose---Grenoble. [huh]

Grenoble rose? I've got three...:p I'm digging them out to make room for the new compost pile.:D :icon_smil
Geez, I couldn't even find images on a Google search! But Helpmefind had a few. Beauty!

Thanks again- great website.:cool:

I'll let you know how the Comtesse Vandal search goes.:)

rumblefish said:
Grenoble rose? I've got three...:p I'm digging them out to make room for the new compost pile.:D :icon_smil
Geez, I couldn't even find images on a Google search! But Helpmefind had a few. Beauty!

Thanks again- great website.:cool:

I'll let you know how the Comtesse Vandal search goes.:)

I'll trade you the two grapefruit trees on the compost pile for the three roses.
I have tried to find Grenoble for over a decade. I would likely have to go to France and steal it from a garden to get one. :rolleyes: :p
Try www.vintagegardens.com if you can find no other sources. [huh] They have always been good for me. Every May they open their gardens up to the public and I show up ready to buy a few more. :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What citrus are the easiest to grow? (grapefruit, apparently? lol)

I'm going to have my very own warm-place garden soon but I have no idea how to garden places it doesn't snow.

Viola said:

I'm going to have my very own warm-place garden soon but I have no idea how to garden places it doesn't snow.

They have gardens in places that snow?! ;) :p
Grapfruit trees are like the weeds of warm weather climes. They grow anywhere---darn it! :rolleyes: :p
For warm weather, obviously you can grown any citrus tree you want. :D Then there are the other things that just might make it like kiwi vines. In short, if you can think of growing it; it will grow. :D

rumblefish

One Too Many
Viola said:

If I had a yard where it doesn't freeze, I'd at least have pineapples in a few spots. I have five in pots now, two with pineapples on them. Those two I'm going to plant in the yard this summer for giggles,,, and photos.;)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
We're still a long way from being able to put much in. I need to start my tomatoes indoors soon though. I have three types from that heirloom seed store in Petaluma, CA; Cherokee Purple, German Lunchbox, and Yellow Pear. I also hope to get my planting beds in this year. If I do, I have purple kohlrabi to try out!!

Joie DeVive said:
We're still a long way from being able to put much in. I need to start my tomatoes indoors soon though. I have three types from that heirloom seed store in Petaluma, CA; Cherokee Purple, German Lunchbox, and Yellow Pear. I also hope to get my planting beds in this year. If I do, I have purple kohlrabi to try out!!

I have the seeds planted inside already. I just don't have plants to put out yet. :D Yellow pear was my mother's favorite. :D

RBH

Bartender
jamespowers said:
Okra?!*yucky*
It must be warmer there than it is here. I usually plant tomatoes only when night time temperatures remain above 50 degrees.
Cucumbers and peppers are a bit more hearty here.:D
:D
I have found the sooner you get it started the better off you are. {here in my neck of the woods}
Very few times has a frost hit us after Good Friday.. so if you get it planted and it comes up. Then you have half the battle won!
As to okra being yucky.... just a couple years ago I would have been with you on that! :)
But man... now I love it!

RBH said:
:D
I have found the sooner you get it started the better off you are. {here in my neck of the woods}
Very few times has a frost hit us after Good Friday.. so if you get it planted and it comes up. Then you have half the battle won!
As to okra being yucky.... just a couple years ago I would have been with you on that! :)
But man... now I love it!

I guess you haven't been getting torrential rains today. ;) :p
The darned dirt hasn't dried out enough for me to till it yet. :eusa_doh:
The rain would have pounded the seedlings into the ground if I had already planted them. :eusa_doh:
You can convince me on Okra. :p

Foofoogal

Banned
As to okra being yucky.
:eek: :eek:
I love, love okra. Fried, boiled with tomatoes and onions. Yummy.
Best thing about growing okra is when it gets real tall you can chop the plant about in half and it will do all over again.

Fried squash and with tomatoes and onions also is absolutely scrumptious. Store bought is never as good as fresh okra or squash.
-------

We have so far tomatoes, mixed salad lettuces and turnip greens. Fixing to get a lot in the ground hopefully. Not used to Arkansas planting but told they usually don't start till about the 10th. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic