Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSC03442.jpg

I spent all day today working in the garden. The rhubarb growing in the foreground of the picture is what is left of a patch (same location) planted by my grandmother. She dug up the rootstock from her sister-in-law's place and replanted them here. This was probably five or ten years before I was born (and I'm 54 now). This patch of rhubarb has been producing ever since. It won't be long now till time for some strawberry-rhubarb pie. Yum, yum ...

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Try www.vintagegardens.com if you can find no other sources. [huh] They have always been good for me. Every May they open their gardens up to the public and I show up ready to buy a few more. :D

I went for the Double Delight hybrid tea.
I got room for two more because my contorted filbert just croaked. I think they'll be floribundas. Ideas, suggestions?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
What color? I am going to try Sunsprite again when I have a place for a floribunda, but its a bright bright yellow and it doesn't play nicely with everything.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Viola said:
What color? I am going to try Sunsprite again when I have a place for a floribunda, but its a bright bright yellow and it doesn't play nicely with everything.
Yellow might do...
I'm trying to find a Charisma before it's too late to plant them here.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I added some fresh soil and mulch to the area I have tried planting before a few days ago. This morning I was out watering the grass and that area and noticed some sprouts. I have no idea whats growing lol.
Has anyone here tried planting in haybales? My sister told me about it and I've skimmed the internet on info, trying to decide if that is something I want to do.

Foofoogal

Banned
Like RBH here in Ar.we planted okra yesterday and corn.
We now have onions, cabbage, potatoes, mixed lettuce, beans and tomatoes.
To me the main reason to plant a garden is okra and potatoes.
(I will not pick okra for anyone but me though.)lol
that stuff is dangerous to your arms.
Actually it is a bit late for some of the planting due to 5 or 6 snows.

Big Man: That is amazing. I have never had rhubarb of any kind and have always wanted to.

Floribunda eh? Well, try something different like Victoriana:
331.jpg

It changes from an orange shade to tan after exposure to the sun for a while.

2376.jpg

For a yellow try an oldster like Anne Harkness. It is yellow with a hint of peachy/pink to it.

225.jpg

Lastly, for a pink, try Faberge. It is a bi-color but very subtle. The reverse of the petals is a light yellow so you can have pink and yellow in one with this one. :D
Double Delight is a good bush rose. It has great fragrance and color. You can't go wrong with it. :eusa_clap

rumblefish said:
I went for the Double Delight hybrid tea.
I got room for two more because my contorted filbert just croaked. I think they'll be floribundas. Ideas, suggestions?

Miss_Becky

Familiar Face
Victory/Vegetable Gardening

Anyone planning on, or have already started, a Victory or Vegetable Garden?

I finally have a yard this year, and can't wait to get started on it. We will start planting this weekend. What are other people planning on doing? What about those who are in apartments, any advice for others on how to grow vegetables in containers?

Here is what is on my list -
- strawberries
- pumpkins
- sweet corn
- jalapenos
- tomato
- herbs
- onion
- bell peppers
- snap peas

I'm an absolute beginner, so this will be interesting lol

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
That's great! A friend of mine recently mentioned to me that she gives a lecture, or teaches a course or something, on how to do these tiny gardens. Sounds like fun! :)

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I grew most of your list in my old apartment, no pumpkins, onions or corn though! Life long apartment dweller, so I container gardened it all. I'll just say, I'm glad that I didn't have to feed a family on what I was growing.

I broke down and bought an Aero Garden on sale to start things sprouting, but my own supplies to go it (not the expensive kits). I'd plant them in pots after a week or two of light and water had them growing strongly, and left the machine itself near all the plants so they could get the extra light. Everything else grew out on the porch.

At my best, I think I had 12 pots going, including blueberries which are a lovely one! I didn't put the time necessary into it to keep everything pretty but I was organized as far as water, pruning, etc, though I warn, it was not a five minute job (it might have been if I was better about it, but it wasn't for me)

Bell peppers, tomatoes and herbs were far and away my best, and the blue berries grew for months and months. The new apartment has a pretty different light situation, so I'm going to help out at the community garden instead of growing my own, but good luck all!

dementedmomma

New in Town
i was just talking to my hubby about starting a garden. we live in a fourplex with no real yard so i'm having him build me a huge box garden thing. i can't wait to grow my own veggies.

Composting

Hello --

I'm trying my hand at composting so I could use some advice.

I built a 4 by 8 foot wooden frame which was about 2 1/2 feet high. I set it on a rectangle of cinderblocks in order to increase the height, so now it is about three feet. I've mostly been putting orange peels, grapefruit peels, apple peels, and some old leaves from last fall which still hasn't broken down. Now I've been adding some water to this concoction to keep it moist and been turning it with a garden fork once a week. Am I composting correctly? Do I need more green matter or brown matter? What is the ratio between green matter and brown matter?

I heard about a method where you put a 6 inch layer of dirt on top of about 12 inches of compost and this is supposed to accelerate the compost process. Anyone try this? It seems like it would work because the earthworms would aid the compost process.

Good luck to all you victory gardeners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy