Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaucho

Caledonia

Practically Family
No, not Groucho.

Just found a Gaucho Hat 1940s Spanish Wide Brim Isesa Seville
hat. Can't get the picture to link but it should be here next week and I'll take a photo. And I know I owe you guys a panama photo :eek: , but I'm embarrassed now, it's a girl thing! I will do one eventually.

But, anyone got one of these. The one I've found is for men but it's my size. Not sure if they did female versions anyway. Black, fur felt. Anybody got anymore history either about the hat or the manufacturer?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Like Zorro's?

Zorro.jpg

Caledonia

Practically Family
Exactly like Zorro's. Although it may be a little bit shallower in the crown. Not sure, will wait and see.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Caledonia said:
Not sure if they did female versions anyway.

I don't know if they did, either. But when I arrived at the airport in Santiago, Chile, a few years back (their version of the cowboy is called a huaso) There was a woman dressed as a huasa and she looked terrific!

Here is a shot of me wearing such a hat, loaned by a friendly huaso.

P1010005.jpg

You will notice, at least in the summer, (December, when I visited) some of the hats are made of straw.

P1010004.jpg

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Why the heck were those photos so large?

I reduced both pixel resolution AND dimensions in photoshop before uploading them into photobucket.

Any hints?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
they don't look that big to me.

you pull that hat off well. something like that would never look good on me.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Thanks for the photos Shanghailander, and they didn't look big to me either. Your huasa is definitely the same shape but it looks quite wide-brimmed ie I'm guesstimating a good 3+ inches. Although my, soon to arrive, gaucho is described as wide brimmed, its 2.5 inches tops. Maybe that's the difference?

Missed your question about photo size. I was handily directed to photobucket by the FL. Register (for free), upload, then edit to 50% size, but it's a lottery. Scans are a different size to photos you take yourself, which are a different size to images you download from the net. If you're not happy with a post go to the Edit box at the bottom of your post. You can edit it or delete it as you need to.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Yes, it displayed. And what a gorgeous painting, or gauche. That would be groovy, a gauche gaucho. Sorry :eek: And I'd totally forgotten about CZJ! I have a week to learn swordsmanship. :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Yes, I did think of Ms. Zeta-Jones but could not recall if she wore a Zorro hat or not and was unable to Google her, either.

I thought I remembered Ms. Deneuve wearing one, maybe in one of her perfume ads. Or was it Marlene Dietrich in one of her shows.

Oh, well....

There was a female Zorro, it was a serial that came out in the 40's. Scroll down a bit and look to the left if this one displays. She looks great, too:

http://www.inkwellimagesink.com/pages/serials.shtml

karol

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Seriously?

Marc Chevalier said:
Dude, that photo is going to be deleted from here so fast, it will make your head spin. lol

Poor taste? She's wearing more than an Olympic swimmer.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Caledonia , I just returned from the factory that made your hat . They are called Industrias Sombraras Espaniolas or Isesa . Its an old company -been around since 1885. They still make this hat, thousands in fact in wool and fur felt . They are still worn in parts of Spain during certain times of the year when Flaminco dancing contests are started .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

Caledonia

Practically Family
besdor said:
Caledonia , I just returned from the factory that made your hat . They are called Industrias Sombraras Espaniolas or Isesa . Its an old company -been around since 1885. They still make this hat, thousands in fact in wool and fur felt . They are still worn in parts of Spain during certain times of the year when Flaminco dancing contests are started .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

How amazingly coincidental is that! Thank you so much for posting. I trust you got to see the whole process, and did you find out if the processes have changed much, for any of the hats? Wouldn't it be fantastic to be able to trace all our vintage stuff back to a still operational maker, and be able to see it happen! :) Thanks again Steven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace