Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gave my new Avirex B-3 a classic paint Job tonight.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Ok, so the Jacket isnt Technically *new*, Its from 1986 and Given its age its like new considering. (the Avirex, not the Coastal Command Yellow Hood)

Theres a Decent Army Surplus in Kingston (SAS surplus on Princess)

it didnt Catch my Eye until I took a second look and tried it on, realized woah, this thing is a better Cut than my other Repro and Ive been looking for a deal on a good B-3 Repro I can Live in for awhile. (came to around 280 bucks after Tax! Beat that! :D) Last time I saw one new it was in the buttonville Airport gift shop and was 800 smackers.

I see these Are pricey, oh, got another Avirex Indy looking Jacket for my Bro for 30 bones more! remind me to post it later!) They must have come from Upstate NY, er...derr, thats where they were made! :eusa_doh:

So I was bored tonight and its getting colder out, thought what better time than now to Bust out the paint and get cookin!

Didnt Fuss much about the paint Job, Just Transferred a rough copy with smudged Chalk and went to work.

Not perfect, no way I could get the original Artists Brush strokes, the original shows the hand of a master Sighn painter whoever he was. I can find no info on the original owner of this Coastal Command jacket or the plane that was flown unfortunately despite some years of digging)

Just Couldnt Resist! its Epic and Pure Class.

I can imagine the pride of the original owner putting it on for the first time after getting his painted now.

Not that its some insecurity thing to have this on the jacket you understand, Theres some type of Pride or Confidence you would have needed from this type of thing to Throw your life into a Bomber and take a Ride. I can see why Biker gangs adopted and carry on this sort of tradition.

anyway I snapped a few and thought of you!

I know I didnt get the negative space on the G exact, but I was less nervous once Getting the first Brush strokes down. There was a time I was a seeeeerious Artist.

My old Jacket is a little on the Scrappy Side these days.

Here is my new winter baby!

Check it!!!

-J

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Nice, can't beat that price for a decent sheep. That is a great surplus shop. I picked up an excellent issue G1 there a couple years ago for $70, replaced the knits and go to go!

B

Old Avirex are decent jackets. We've had a few around here and they were my introduction to mil jackets.
Got my son a killer horsehide A-2 unused from the 79's for $90. Great deal.
Jacket looks cool. Good job.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
since I used Acrylic Paint its flaking off pretty fast, I did soak the leather a little first, touched it up just now, What paint am I supposed to be using Fellas!

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I've read that enamel paint is best for leather. Maybe you should look up some nose art threads, and contact some of our community jacket artists.
I've heard that you're supposed to use sandpaper on the surface that the paint will go on first, put on a white primer coat on, paint the art on the primer, and finish it with a clear sealer. But this is not based on personal trial.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
sounds Rigorous! I was Thinking about Enamel working, Its Just hard to get the paint to soak in to this particular leather.

The Paint on the Original Jacket looks like it absorbed well, wish I knew what it was.

In the meantime I will check out your Reccomendations and do some more homework.

thanks very much!

Alabama

New in Town
I have not done a lot of jacket painting, but i used leather dye.
It looks pretty old as soon as it dry's but does not flake off. i have also used enamel paint.
Your jacket look's great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou