Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gay Talese dresses for writing...

Warbaby

One Too Many
From an interview with Gay Talese in the Paris Review:

INTERVIEWER
How does your writing day begin?

TALESE
Usually I wake up in bed with my wife. I don’t want to have breakfast with anyone. So I go from the third floor, which is our bedroom, to the fourth floor, where I keep my clothes. I get dressed as if I’m going to an office. I wear a tie.

INTERVIEWER
Cuff links?

TALESE
Yes. I dress as if I’m going to an office in midtown or on Wall Street or at a law firm, even though what I am really doing is going downstairs to my bunker. In the bunker there’s a little refrigerator, and I have orange juice and muffins and coffee. Then I change my clothes.

INTERVIEWER
Again?

TALESE
That’s right. I have an ascot and sweaters. I have a scarf.

The complete interview is at http://www.theparisreview.org/viewinterview.php/prmMID/5925

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
And in the winter he dons overcoat, scarf and fedora for the walk down to his bunker.:cool:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Loved his "bunker" though the no windows thing would drive me nuts.
Me too.

The 'bunker' in his Ocean City home (recently sold) is situated in an airy sun-drenched attic.

Gay_Talese_2.jpg

JonnyO

A-List Customer
Gay is a very interesting man, an amazingly interesting man at that. I enjoy watching his video reports.

That was really cool. Loved his "bunker" though the no windows thing would drive me nuts.
I work in a Cold War era bunker...no windows will definitely drive one insane. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24