Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen (and Ladies), I need your help

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I will be traveling to S. Korea in a couple of weeks for business. During my visit I will be having a suit made by a local taylor who does some amazing work. My question is, what color suit should I have made?

First, let me say that I am not looking for a vintage style or cut, but still something classy and well-cut. My wardrobe is all quite modern with more of a "Classic Style". The only vintage pieces I own are some of my hats and watches.

I plan to go with a three-button, notch lapel, but have not decided on the color or fabric yet. I am leaning toward blue, probably dark navy, as I already have a black suit (altough it is "off the shelf"). What are your thoughts on color? Should I consider some sort of pin striping?

The suit will be primarily for work (I am an engineer and my job requires visiting customers, business dinners and boardroom visits), church, and occasional dinners with my wife.

Thank you for you help...I am looking forward to everyone's input.

Mr. Pinstripe Suit

New in Town
Okay, so it figures, but...

I watched a B&W movie the other night where the male lead wore a grey suit with 1/16" pinstripes (brown or blue, unsure, but not black) that were set about 1" apart. This suit KILLED!! Soooo classic. I'd go with a pinstripe color that matches your particular "color" or "season" rather a current color trend.

And then I'd pick brown, but that's just me. ;)

Kevin
"Mr. Pinstripe Suit"

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
tonyb said:
And you can wear it with a whole bunch of different stuff, too.

It's flexible, to boot. :)

Jokes aside, I would go with grey. I can't say anything that hasn't been said already -- it's flexible. :D

As to the three buttons... could be a bit risky. I'm no style maven (far, far, far from it), and somebody please correct me if I'm off here, but the current popularity of the three-button suit just feels like a passing thing to me. It's "in" right now because some magazine says it is, and suddenly every guy has one. (In my far-from-keen-eyed observation, anyhow.)

Not saying a three-button can't work, and I've seen it look smashing on several guys. But I would agree with Jovan that you might want to make sure the cut of it would go well with your height and build. If it does -- more power to ya, friend; you've done something I couldn't! :D

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Thank you all for your insight.

To answer some questions and help give a better gauge, I have more of a slight build...I'm 5'10" and around 160 lbs. Also, I'm 26 years old. I'm looking for a suit that looks professional, but also suits my age (no pun intended). I've had both two and three button suits in the past and I prefer the look/style of the three button. I still have a couple of weeks to decide, so I'm taking in all of the advice here.

Thank you all for the feedback...keep it coming!

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
My mother wondered the same thing about 3-buttons being trendy several years ago when I bought one. The kindly older salesman pointed out to her that he'd been selling them consistently since he started out at a big downtown department store in the '40s.

The 3-button is a classic cut that will never be out of style if done well. It may be out of fashion, but who cares?

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
lol

If any of us cared about "fashion" we wouldn't be here! It's all about style, baby. All about style. :cool: And that trumps fashion every time out.

I say hey -- if you've worn three-button before and you know it works, go fer it! All the style advice in the world is great, but you know better than anybody else what looks good and feels good on ya. :)

-Tofu

mikepara

Practically Family
Never mind the 3 button thing..

Is it to be a 3 piece?

Personally grey is safe and so dull. This is a Korean made 'cheap' suit, so buy 2! Go bluey green or mustard. If you really want safe go brown.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
lol lol lol

If I could afford two suits, I probably would. I'll have to save up and get another on my next visit. (Although I'm going to pass on the Mustard.)

The great thing about the taylor I will be visiting is the quality of his work. I have a couple of colleagues who have his suits and jackets and the quality is outstanding. I didn't expect it to be such a well made suit for the price. No offense to the Koreans, but I didn't associate such high quality garments with Korea.

I am considering a 3 piece, although I would be much more likely to wear a vest with a 2-button single breast, or a double breasted jacket. Another point to ponder.

Jovan

Suspended
I'm sorry if I came off coarse, but I've seen a number of people wearing three button suits who are short or wide and it makes them appear even more so! Additionally, it really does matter what button stance you get with three buttons. (Or any buttoning for that matter.) Even I, a fairly tall guy at 6'-6'1, don't look right in a the standard high rolling three button suit. However, one that's just a bit lower fastening looks fine. Two buttons seem to work on everyone.

Get a three piece suit if you can afford it and like them. It's well worth it for the versatility and style. Just make sure you get side adjusters and/or brace buttons if you do. Belt loops are a no-no with a waistcoat.

Additionally, be certain that your tailor's using floating canvas. Anything bespoke should at the very least have it available.

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
I'd go along with the 2 buttons. Three buttons really have to be correctly placed and the suit cut right and does generally only work on a taller person. i.e. 6 ft or more.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Forget the gray.

1st choice: You're young and an engineer. Navy will put more authority on you, especially since you are an engineer. This is important if you are meeting with clients and/or superiors. Go with a white peak collar shirt with collar stays and a conventional tie. Learn how to diimple your tie. Black leather belt, gold buckle, black oxfords.

2nd choice: Besides Navy, also consider a dark olive/drab green suit. Light green or beige/tan hue shirt. Conservative tie in the green hue. Oxblood/Cordovan belt and oxfords.

Save the grays for when you are older and need to look younger.

Cheers,

M8

Jovan

Suspended
There is absolutely nothing wrong with grey. I don't see a need to power dress for what he's doing. I'd personally feel more at ease, as a client, talking to a guy with a soft collared shirt and light colour suit rather than one with a fat tie knot, stiff collar, and navy suit. People tend to emphasize looking "authoritive" these days when they don't consider it can work against them as well.

I might also emphasize that grey is a cooler colour to wear, considering summer's on the way. ;) But the ball's in your park.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Jovan said:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with grey. I don't see a need to power dress for what he's doing. I'd personally feel more at ease, as a client, talking to a guy with a soft collared shirt and light colour suit rather than one with a fat tie knot, stiff collar, and navy suit. People tend to emphasize looking "authoritive" these days when they don't consider it can work against them as well.

I might also emphasize that grey is a cooler colour to wear, considering summer's on the way. ;) But the ball's in your park.

Well, my suggestions are based on the presumption that SinatraStyle and I move in similar circles. He's an engineer, and I am an engineer, though I am an older one. I've been in the international realm doing this on my own for 14 years, and before that was with a company full of engineers. So my suggestions are based on that experience.

Your profile states that you are a student. So what other experience do you base your suggestions on? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Cheers,

M8

Jovan

Suspended
I know you are somewhat new here, but quips like that are pretty unwelcome. Please don't do it again. I don't give a damn how old you are or what your experience is in the field, but discrediting someone's opinion based on that they are still in school is just disgusting. I've had enough of it on another forum, and I damn well don't need it here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy