Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Update for the linen suit

Canvas and chest piece. The smaller piece has a dart on the long edge and slashes at the shoulder.
SAM_1355_zps50d4e435.jpg

SAM_1356_zpse125edaf.jpg

Covered with a piece of flannel and padstitched, as well as the lapels, taped, and the facings sewn on with the inside pockets.
SAM_1430_zps0152065c.jpg

Nearly completed fronts
SAM_1428_zpsda7206e8.jpg

And a poor picture of the back, with a belt and four pleats
SAM_1566_zps015cec8c.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tailoring is what men do. Thank you for your enlightenment, it makes me feel better. The reason I didn't use the term 'Tailoring,' is because the art of tailoring is such a skill, that I would feel an imposter for suggesting that's what I did.
I make shirts, I make some of the simpler dresses and I can make trousers. Not the tailored sort, more, the lounge pants that ladies wear. And I would hasten to add that my wimpy little efort is knocked into a cocked hat by the expertise that my wife has when it comes to anything that needs a needle and thread.
The first garment to be made in her new sewing cabin, is a dressing gown for me. Not a bathrobe but a fantastic 1930's dressing gown. She won't let me photograph it as a work in progress, but when it's finished I'll post the pics. And also a photo of the original pattern, you will love it. The model on the front has a pipe sticking out of his mouth. Brilliant.

We all have our skills and limitations. I'm certainly no professional, but I torture my grandmother's Singer from time to time, making little things. Bags and pouches and such.

One day, I'd like to buy some denim and make myself a shoulder-bag. I've been trying to buy something nice, but I just don't have a decent EDC bag. And the new one I purchased last month has already fallen apart (what a waste of money that was...). I think denim would last better.

A friend of mine produced a sort of 'duffel bag' out of old jeans, recycling all the old brass hardware. That's kinda what I have in mind. If ever get around to making something like that, this is where I'd post the progress.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Before:

8i8.JPG

After:
Oh wow, not only am I loving your work in progress, but your avatar is to die for. The king of gypsy jazz himself. D.R.
Here's a few old fogeys trying not to look their age, in shirts made by my wife. Note, the guy on the left with the beer bottle,
is called Phil. Look at the name on his breast pocket.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
HBK: yes, that looks like the rather nice fabric you found for me. I'm going for a plain back. The suit is a late 1940s/early 1950s copy, so the belt back would be a little out of place.

Also, I'm not sure that I'm a belt-back type. I always worry that it might be a little flash for me.

That said, I do have a rather annoying little demon sitting on my shoulder whisperiing: "Get some Donegal tweed and have that belt-back, four patch-pocket, Bela Lugosi in 'The Black Cat', suit made."

DamianM

Vendor
HBK: yes, that looks like the rather nice fabric you found for me. I'm going for a plain back. The suit is a late 1940s/early 1950s copy, so the belt back would be a little out of place.

Also, I'm not sure that I'm a belt-back type. I always worry that it might be a little flash for me.

That said, I do have a rather annoying little demon sitting on my shoulder whisperiing: "Get some Donegal tweed and have that belt-back, four patch-pocket, Bela Lugosi in 'The Black Cat', suit made."

After having all those votes in maybe you should as well

DamianM

Vendor
true that, Ive been wanting some tweed but yardage is expensive. I lucked out at getting these 2 large pieces for 10 dollars.
It is a considerable vintage since there were other cottons,some seersucker, from probably the 50s. maybe earlier, judging by the print and feel. but if its not its good tweed anyways.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
A ralph lauren tie. Kinda geeky
Not what I call geeky, but then again, I am a simpleton for whom smartphones are in that rarified atmostphere of programmed television digital recorders, self service supermarket check-out tills, social network sites, e-mail (truly, I tried to set my email up and it asked a load of gobble-de-gook questions, so I gave it a load of gobble-de-gook answers, and it just ****s me off,) when I have to use email, I give my wife's email address. She paid fifty quid for someone to come round and set it up for her. I've got better things to spend my money on. That tie speaks volumes to me.

DamianM

Vendor
9fhw.jpg

Homemade necktie using a sacrificed Simple black cotton NRA(33"-35") tie I had double and a faux hanky

Im thinking of maybe using this brocade for a vest. maybe just the back of the vest.
Idk too much? :)

Last edited:

Analogue Adam

New in Town
Great work guys. I am finally getting the house organized and will have to figure out a sewing machine sharing schedule wiht my wife, but hopefully soon I'll be making a few items. Out here in Hampton Roads area of Virginia there isn't much of a mens vintage clothing scene. There aren't any shops for it and on top of that you're lucky if you find a single thing a year in a thrift store. I haven't even lucked out with estate sales yet either. So, I guess it si about time I tried to remember all the stuff my mom taught me about sewing all those years ago.

highway66blues

One of the Regulars
I like the homemade items.

Hello there Adam, Hampton ? Been a few months since I've been down (my girl's oldest son & his family live on the AF base), I miss the historic part of "town" & Fort Monroe...former Federal re-enactor, too may stories that Don't belong here.

I spent the past weekend converting a found article of clothing made of linen into a waistcoat, by hand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96251424@N02/9265290894/in/photostream/
(also posted in what Are You wearing Today)

My 1910 Singer Trundle is down until I can figure out the problem with the bobbin.

Been wantin' one, So I got to it.
My Mother taught me, so I see I ain't alone

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've finished the linen 3-piece, based on the suit that Baron Kurtz originally posted some months ago.
SAM_1911_zps201215af.jpg

SAM_1913_zps12a1c364.jpg

SAM_1915_zps60b62053.jpg

Differences from the original include a plain jacket sleeve, no lapels on the waistcoat, and I've added a back belt and four pleats.
SAM_1917_zps007bb7b5.jpg

SAM_1919_zps0b74ad05.jpg

Skeleton lining, I made matching bias binding. Striped sleeve lining.
SAM_1923_zps25ffebaa.jpg

I'll be wearing this to a wedding next week. I didn't think I'd be able to finish it in time, but managed it.
SAM_1920_zpsc1cede97.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore