Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Brent "Missabe" Jacket

fishmeok

Vendor
This is a design I made with the help and research of a forum member. It's based on a jacket actor George Brent wore in a couple of his movies in the late 30's.

The jacket is a varation on the classic 1930's flight jacket/A-1 with a leather collar, small button pockets, collar tab, windflap, and one of the most unique D pockets I have yet seen. Please see the blog post below for more details.

http://superiorjackets.com/?p=851

Cheers
Mark
IMG_4949.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

IMG_4954.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
Looks very faithful to the original! What an admirable effort, to bring these classic designs back to their former glory like this! I'm a fan.

Do you have an opinion on why it was common practice at the time to not include handwarmer pockets on leather jackets?

fishmeok

Vendor
Probably a watch or some sort of tobacco- maybe one of those complementary mini-packs of Camels they used to give out on the airlines...

Good for a cell phone nowadays :)

Cheers
Mark

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I understand that jackets didn't have hand slits because it was considered slothful if not rude to put your hands in your pocket - especially for military types. These jackets were appealing to that demographic.

Metatron

One Too Many
This jacket is a good example of how asymmetrical design is often aesthetically very pleasing. It's a feature often overlooked in modern designs.

edit: bolly, the large pocket is balanced out by the combination of D pocket and smaller pocket, at least that's how I interpret it.

fishmeok

Vendor
If you look at the pics of the original jacket on my blog, you can see that BOTH the button pockets were oiginally tiny- I made one about A-2 pocket size so it would be functional- plus I like the way it offsets the other pocket.

Why they would both be so tiny I have no clue, not every idea from the Golden Era panned out in retrospect...
Cheers
Mark

bjoy

New in Town
What's the eeensy one for? Smokes? Scoring pencils? Loose change?

Jacket "C" in this 1942 catalog has one of these tiny pockets (though zippered). According to the description the zippered pockets are one for maps and the other for change.

Note the zippered pocket on jacket "E" is for cigarettes. And on jacket "B" the zippered pocket is a humidor for tobacco.

I guess smokers never have any loose change or use maps, or else they have different priorities.

Spiegel.1942.P144.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes