Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gift for New Arrival

sfend002

Familiar Face
I have to say that this one has been difficult. My brother is having his first child soon and wanted to purchase a gift for when I go to see them the first time. I really have no idea what to get though. Any ideas?

I was thinking of maybe a coin set with the birth year?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
The coin set is a nice keepsake.

Silver spoons, particularly engraved ones, are a traditional gift.
Baby blankets are also traditional and useful. Monogrammed ones are fancier.
Other ideas are; a newspaper from the day of the child's birth, a stuffed toy, a favorite book from childhood, or something from the parent's registry. (Sometimes a high chair or a bouncy seat is more appreciated than a keepsake.:) )

sfend002

Familiar Face
I saw some spoons, but was not sure. All the coin sets I saw are still 08 and the 09 stuff is slow coming. Already got something for the shower so I was thinking of something for more of a long term keepsake I guess.

Corky

Practically Family
Find a nice old vintage fedora, smallest size possible...

...and give it a bash like an old-time movie character of your choice.

Then present it to the new parents with great ceremony and tell the parents it's a prop for them to put on the kid's head when they take pictures.

The Shirt

Practically Family
My sister started a nice tradition in our family. For a little girl, she buys one pearl every year. Then when my niece reached her 16 birthday she had collected them and had them strung together for a very pretty necklace. I thought it was a very sweet keepsake.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Not sure how much you want to spend, but before my daughter was born in 2003, I purchased an American Eagle gold bullion coin that was minted in her birth year. It's in a safety deposit box until she's older and I already have plans to place it in her shoe on her wedding day! :)

After that, she can turn it into a piece of jewelry, sell it for its cash value or put it away as a keepsake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn