Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
KittyT said:
The Rago 21 and 721 cinchers both come with removable garters. The Rago 821 does not.

I've been admiring the Rago 21 for a while, but noticed that there are only 4 garter straps. I usually wear a Rago garter belt with 6 straps with my seamed stockings. Can anyone tell me if the Rago 21 waist cincher keeps the stockings in line (seams & stockings don't move around) just as well as a 6 strap? Or maybe I should get the 821 and wear it over my garter belt??

Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
BonnieJean said:
I've been admiring the Rago 21 for a while, but noticed that there are only 4 garter straps. I usually wear a Rago garter belt with 6 straps with my seamed stockings. Can anyone tell me if the Rago 21 waist cincher keeps the stockings in line (seams & stockings don't move around) just as well as a 6 strap? Or maybe I should get the 821 and wear it over my garter belt??

Over in the stockings thread, Smuterella commented that she gets some seam drift with her waist cincher. It's probably because the garter is going down over the curve of the bum and probably has a tendency to slide off.

Note that you can buy the Rago 821 cincher from Alexis4u.com, custom made with up to 14 garter straps.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i've been dying to get a rago 21 cincher --even though my friend and i are about to embark on a slimming-down project! i should have more confidence in my abilities, i guess. :rolleyes:

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean said:

Thanks!

I used to wear a Rago 21 and it was great. I never had any problems with my seams moving with only the 4 garter straps.

Nowadays, I've taken to wearing an underbust corset instead of a waist cincher, but I have problems with the squishy hips :eusa_doh: My waist is 23.5 inches without the corset and my hips are 38.5 inches, so I find it quite hard to find one that will fit both my waist & hips. Also when I wear my corset all the excess hip squishyness gets pushed to the bottom of the corset, so I look really lumpy. Wow, I'm really bad at explaining that! I'm sure any other girls who have experienced the same thing will know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes: Anyway, I think I need to get a longer underbust corset, does anybody know of any good ones?

TheSwingingBee

One of the Regulars
Angelicious said:
- Gentlemen, avert your eyes! ;) -

Does anyone know of sites or businesses that provide "unusual" sizes for vintage style foundation garments?

I'm specifically talking about bras. Modern ones just don't look right, but I've not yet been able to find anywhere that repro's vintage bra styles that are big/small enough - that is, they only go up to a DD, and if they stock a larger cup size, it's in something like a 40 or a 42 - much too big.

Modern bras are just too round! :p

I don't know if anyone's posted this, but I feel your pain here, I've got a rather large cup size and have a hard time finding bras that fit, let alone have a vintage feel. I found Cameo Intimates and they will custom size for you, and in some bras they carry up to an H cup. Hope this helps you.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
pigeon toe said:
How well does it flatten the tummy and cinch in the waist? I'm always on the lookout to try new girdles!

I don't think it [Custom Maid diamond panel girdle] does much for cinching in the waist since it dips into a v at the front to avoid rolling. But it does a fair job at holding in the tummy and smoothing out hips and thighs. It also has six ribbon covered garter straps and lacy edging!
Maybe what you need is an underbust girdle? I've never tried one. Don't they work like a waist cincher incorporated into a girdle?

pigeon toe

One Too Many
ShrinkingViolet said:
I don't think it [Custom Maid diamond panel girdle] does much for cinching in the waist since it dips into a v at the front to avoid rolling. But it does a fair job at holding in the tummy and smoothing out hips and thighs. It also has six ribbon covered garter straps and lacy edging!
Maybe what you need is an underbust girdle? I've never tried one. Don't they work like a waist cincher incorporated into a girdle?

Like a high-waisted girdle? I'm very short waisted, so all of my girdles come up to under my bra already! Thanks for the advice though!

lillielil

Familiar Face
Well this is a bummer - I got my Rago 1294 from GirdleBound yesterday (yellow!) and wore it for maybe an hour just to see how it fit. When I took it off a good two inches of stiching had come undone. I don't want to return it (not sure if I could since I did wear it briefly) and still be out the cost of dye and shipping, but it makes me sad to have to mend it already!

Has anyone else had problems with things coming undone like that?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
lillielil said:
Well this is a bummer - I got my Rago 1294 from GirdleBound yesterday (yellow!) and wore it for maybe an hour just to see how it fit. When I took it off a good two inches of stiching had come undone. I don't want to return it (not sure if I could since I did wear it briefly) and still be out the cost of dye and shipping, but it makes me sad to have to mend it already!

Has anyone else had problems with things coming undone like that?

I would send it back. Any company should be willing to stand behind the product that they sell. You should ask them to replace it at no cost.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
pigeon toe said:
Thank you! I have no idea why I haven't noticed those before.

Has anyone worn these before? Do they work nicely?

Hey hon, I finally bit the bullet and just bought the Rago 21. I haven't tried it with stockings, but, in terms of shaping, the line you achieve is really beautiful. You can pull it higher or lower depending on your torso length, and it really gave me a tight, inverted waistline. Now the only problem is that I have to buy smaller belts and alter my patterns...oh, and I opted for the white thanks to the discussion KittyT and Smuterella were having a few pages back (thanks!).

ps - I was in between sizes and the smaller one turned out great.
pps - I got it at herroom.com because of their awesome return policy and Rago is always 10% off.

MissS

A-List Customer
Ladies, I'm searching for something to wear underneath a 1930's satin bias cut gown. I tried my cincher on underneath it, but the lace texture is coming through. Have any of you had success in wearing something with garter straps underneath a satin evening gown?

BonnieJean

Practically Family
MissS said:
Ladies, I'm searching for something to wear underneath a 1930's satin bias cut gown. I tried my cincher on underneath it, but the lace texture is coming through. Have any of you had success in wearing something with garter straps underneath a satin evening gown?

I made a 1930s satin bia cut gown and I wore a Rago open bottom girdle (with garters) underneath. To smooth out the garter "bumps", I also wore a long half slip over it. (The back is cut pretty low, so I couldn't wear a full slip)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
MissS said:

Under something slim or drapy like that, your garter straps are pretty much always going to show. Just be sure you're wearing a full slip. The bumps might still show a bit, but don't worry, it's period correct!

lillielil

Familiar Face
Well stink! I went against the advice I got here and just mended the girlde that broke after an hour of wear. I wore it for a full day, and then when I was putting it on this morning I noticed that the boning by the zipper was popping out. One thing breaking I can call a fluke, but two things breaking in two wearings has got to be some kind of faulty workmanship. I'm going to give GirdleBound a call and see what they can do. How dissapointing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy