Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody here have a 50's fitted, full slip? I'm going to attempt to make my own pattern for one, since they're always so expensive. My question is this: since they look quite slim through the waist, do they usually have some kind of opening and if so, how is it closed? And, does the fastening add bulk under a dress? I can't imagine having the zip of my slip underneath the zip of my dress.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Does anybody here have a 50's fitted, full slip? I'm going to attempt to make my own pattern for one, since they're always so expensive. My question is this: since they look quite slim through the waist, do they usually have some kind of opening and if so, how is it closed? And, does the fastening add bulk under a dress? I can't imagine having the zip of my slip underneath the zip of my dress.

i've had vintage slips that zip, and the zipper is on the opposite side of the body from dress-zippers so they don't get in the way.

Mary

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
oh lordy, i just shrunk my vintage cotton bullet bra, now I have one too big and one too small!

Noo! That's awful. I just came across some bras and some corsets from the 40's and 50's. What should I do about them? I need to wash them on monday.

The corsets are pink and one is maybe cotton but the other ones are in a shiny material. The bra's are almost to my bellybutton and one in some cottonlike material and the other in some shiny more plastic looking cloth.

I don't have time to post photos right now but I'll do it in the future if it helps or so.

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
Noo! That's awful. I just came across some bras and some corsets from the 40's and 50's. What should I do about them? I need to wash them on monday.

They shouldn't shrink if you wash them in cold water and let them air dry - unless there's rayon involved.

Mary

Practically Family
Thank's so much KittyT! Could I do it in a washing machine? I'm so tired of washing in my tub but I guess that's what they did back them all the time.

Hmm. Or I could try to wash the ugliest one in the washing machine first and see if it's comes out ok. Thank you again then I won't experiment with higher tempratures or some "centrifugspinning" of it in the end to get out water.

M

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mary said:
Thank's so much KittyT! Could I do it in a washing machine? I'm so tired of washing in my tub but I guess that's what they did back them all the time.

I would never, ever wash any vintage item - especially not vintage delicates - in a washing machine. Lingerie should always be hand-washed!

Mary

Practically Family
KittyT said:
I would never, ever wash any vintage item - especially not vintage delicates - in a washing machine. Lingerie should always be hand-washed!

Thanks for your advice but I ended up not following it at all. [huh] :p Don't be mad I appreciate your advice.

I started washing one thing and when that came out fine I continued with the others. So it might work for some things that aren't too delicate.

M

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Mary said:
Thanks for your advice but I ended up not following it at all. [huh] :p Don't be mad I appreciate your advice.

I started washing one thing and when that came out fine I continued with the others. So it might work for some things that aren't too delicate.

M

If you are going to do it, definitely use the delicate cycle, and you might want to consider using lingerie washing bags. If you've never seen them, they are mesh bags, usually with zippered closures that you can wash more delicate items in. It allows washing, but avoids snags and the bag takes more of the rough treatment than the garment. Hand-washing is still the safest way to go, but I will wash some of my (modern) hand-wash-only's on delicate in these bags. It's a real time saver.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Joie DeVive.

I've allready washed them in the handwash program but I think I'll try to find those mesh bags. I would hate if the fastening would tear the lace.

M

Pola Debevoise

New in Town
would i be right in buying a waist cincher as apposed to a girdle to minimize my waist without also squishing down my derriere? i want to achieve a real hourglass shape and with my hips just 8 inches bigger than my waist i don't want to loose anything there! any advice will be much appreciated!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Pola Debevoise said:
would i be right in buying a waist cincher as apposed to a girdle to minimize my waist without also squishing down my derriere? i want to achieve a real hourglass shape and with my hips just 8 inches bigger than my waist i don't want to loose anything there! any advice will be much appreciated!

Yes, that would be your best bet.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
PS said:
Is there an OBG-type of garment that doesn't have garters?

Yes, there are lots of them. You need to look for a shaping slip like the ones made by Flexees, Maidenform, Spanx and other brands that are sold at most department stores.

5041_p.jpg

3841_p.jpg

I have never really liked them, though. The control just isn't that firm. You should also note that wearing stockings with a girdle helps to keep it in place and prevent it from riding up.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I haven't been reading this thread, so I'm not sure what OBG stands for, but you can buy Rago corselettes with detachable garters and a panty bottom, so it doesn't ride up even if you don't wear stockings. I like that you can also wear them with pantyhose, I've been doing this during the winter.

I bought mine on Girdlebound., although the page seems to be down right now, it'll be up again soon, I'm sure, it was working yesterday.

They are also on Rago's own website.

Model 9057
L-9057_plus.jpg

Model 9051
S-9051_plus.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
I haven't been reading this thread, so I'm not sure what OBG stands for, but you can buy Rago corselettes with detachable garters and a panty bottom, so it doesn't ride up even if you don't wear stockings. I like that you can also wear them with pantyhose, I've been doing this during the winter.

OBG stands for "open bottomed girdle"

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
KittyT said:

I agree, lingerie new or vintage should never see the inside of a washer or drier or the outside of a radiator! That's my golden rule.

It helps to have a lot of lingerie ( not that I need an excuse to buy more !) I usually do a big lingerie wash by hand every other week then at least I'm not washing out smalls all week!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Laura Chase said:
Oh okay. I believe Rago also makes open bottomed ones with detachable garters, but like Kitty said, I also imagine them riding up.

I've never seen one of those - only the body briefers, panty girdles and waist cinchers have detachables, as far as I know.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I've never seen one of those - only the body briefers, panty girdles and waist cinchers have detachables, as far as I know.

Well, anyway, if they don't, the garters should be incredibly easy to take off. But on me, if I took off the garters, it'd ride up to my waist after taking just a few steps. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy