Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
StaceFace said:
This may be a bit late, but I own the 1294 in white and I think it's marvelous, as far as control and shaping go. The only problem I have is when I need to run to the ladies' room and I'm wearing stockings lol I haven't been wearing a girdle that long, so I guess I'll figure out the mechanics of things soon enough. Any other ladies have this problem? I've heard the suggestion of wearing the panties over he girdle, but this seems rather uncomfortable.

And THAT was the fear I was referring to ;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The ladies' room conundrum.

Psst....all you have to do when wearing panties under an open bottom girdle is move them to one side while doing your business. Just reach down there and slide them to one side. It definitely works, I've been doing it for years.

Sunny

One Too Many
StaceFace said:
This may be a bit late, but I own the 1294 in white and I think it's marvelous, as far as control and shaping go. The only problem I have is when I need to run to the ladies' room and I'm wearing stockings lol I haven't been wearing a girdle that long, so I guess I'll figure out the mechanics of things soon enough. Any other ladies have this problem? I've heard the suggestion of wearing the panties over he girdle, but this seems rather uncomfortable.
What timing! I've been debating between the 1294 and the corselette. I have the waist cincher (21), which is absolutely fantastic for getting the defined waist and rounded hips of the New Look. But my problem area has always been my hips, so I definitely need something that will tame that area for my 1930s and early 1940s look.

Does anyone have both? What are your opinions? Or do you have other suggestions?

Inky

One Too Many
I'd be hesitant to try to by a corselette or high-waisted open-bottom girdle without trying it on first. Is there any store in Southern California that carries them?

I'd love to see how they work before committing to encasing my body in one ;)

RebeccaMUA

One of the Regulars
Sunny said:
What timing! I've been debating between the 1294 and the corselette. I have the waist cincher (21), which is absolutely fantastic for getting the defined waist and rounded hips of the New Look. But my problem area has always been my hips, so I definitely need something that will tame that area for my 1930s and early 1940s look.

Does anyone have both? What are your opinions? Or do you have other suggestions?

Ohhh I didn't even think of a waist cincher...that's the only area I need shaping. I am going to give that a look! Thank you :D

PS

A-List Customer
I wear panties over my garter belt but if i am wearing an OBG. I hate to say this but I go sans.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
PS said:
I wear panties over my garter belt but if i am wearing an OBG. I hate to say this but I go sans.

I have heard of doing that as well, but I think I will stick to moving them aside for comfort's sake lol

Has anyone here ever tried a serious waist cincher, a la the Mae corset from What Katie Did?
second one down

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Psst....all you have to do when wearing panties under an open bottom girdle is move them to one side while doing your business. Just reach down there and slide them to one side. It definitely works, I've been doing it for years.

LOL Story of my life, sister. ;) I do this in boots and corsets on saturday nights. It's a balancing act!

Marzipan

One of the Regulars
What to Choose?

I'm new to this so bear with me...

I want a more hippy-tucked-in-waist appearance for everyday. I tried on a girdle and don't really think it did anything for me. Should I try waist cinchers? Are they very awkward? Can I sit in one?

Thanks!

Sunny

One Too Many
Marzipan said:

I want a more hippy-tucked-in-waist appearance for everyday. I tried on a girdle and don't really think it did anything for me. Should I try waist cinchers? Are they very awkward? Can I sit in one?

Thanks!
There's a huge variety of "girdles." What did you try on? It does sound like a waist cincher would work for what you want.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I've read through quite a bit of this thread and there is so much information!
So, I have a question that I'm sure I could find answers to if I had hours of free time but I'm going to ask it anyway. :eek:

What are your recommendations for basic "starter" underpinnings?
What I mean is, what pieces are staples for you ladies? OB girdle, cincher, ect.
I'm no stranger to strong shapewear as I have a few steel-boned corsets that I wear for Ren Faires (oh, I've just shown my nerd cards!)
So, I think I'll do well comfort wise with firm shapewear.
I just don't know what pieces I should start with.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Odalisque said:
What are your recommendations for basic "starter" underpinnings?
What I mean is, what pieces are staples for you ladies? OB girdle, cincher, ect.

I think most gals here consider the Rago 1359 OB girdle (or the Rago Lacette OB) to be THE de facto starter girdles. I personally don't like it because I have problems with girdle roll at the top, but the 1369 was the first one I purchased on recommendations from this place. My unworn 1369 will be going up soon in the classifieds, btw. I prefer the Crown 212, which has a little more flexibility and give, and therefore gives me a nicer shape and is more comforble. It's also pretty and lacy. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a 4 strap instead of a 6 strap like the Ragos.

I think as far as starter underpinnings, it really depends on what you hope your foundations will achieve for you. Do you just want a smooth line? Do you need waist shaping or size reduction? Do you need firm support? What eras do you wear?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just bought some new items today that I know I'm going to love!

Desperately wanted a basic garter belt for the times when I'm wearing stockings but don't need or want the firm support of the panty girdles I usually wear. I'll admit that they're also in my lingerie drawer in case there's a time when I know someone might see them, because you know, panty girdles just aren't sexy. This belt is by Crown and has a nice firm and practical feel to it! I wish it had 6 straps instead of 4, but what can you do? I'd love one of the longer Rago 6 straps at some point, but that doesn't help me in the short run. These are much cheaper at about $20 a pop and Lady Grace is having a sale for members this weekend, so I was able to get a white one and a second black one at 50% off :)

1004.jpg

Also got this Crown girdlette, 11" length. I like it a lot! It's the same pretty lace as the Crown 212 and it's a nice, really firm garter belt. Also, really easy to wear panties over! Again, wish it was 6 straps, but I'll live. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in black.

1011.jpg

Odalisque

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
I think most gals here consider the Rago 1359 OB girdle (or the Rago Lacette OB) to be THE de facto starter girdles. I personally don't like it because I have problems with girdle roll at the top, but the 1369 was the first one I purchased on recommendations from this place. My unworn 1369 will be going up soon in the classifieds, btw. I prefer the Crown 212, which has a little more flexibility and give, and therefore gives me a nicer shape and is more comforble. It's also pretty and lacy. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's a 4 strap instead of a 6 strap like the Ragos.

I think as far as starter underpinnings, it really depends on what you hope your foundations will achieve for you. Do you just want a smooth line? Do you need waist shaping or size reduction? Do you need firm support? What eras do you wear?

I stick to mostly 40's with little forays into 30's and 50's. Mainly, I'm looking to get some definition back in my waist and smooth out the unlovely hip bumps that have sprouted up over the years.
I guess I should just bite the bullet and buy an ob girdle and see how it works.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Marzipan said:

Thanks!

No, they aren't awkward. I wear mine alot and don't find it uncomfortable. Yes, you can sit in them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Does anyone know anything about Elila bras? They seem to be the only brand that makes a long line bra above a F cup.

PS

A-List Customer
Sorry Kamikat but considering you've had such a time finding one in your size, snatch it up and report back to us!

Marzipan, the waist cincher is my preferred undergarment.Many days its the only piece I wear. During the summer I try to stay out of my stockings with my boys around, so I just wear a cincher and control panties.

PS

A-List Customer
Do long line bras control the waist at all? The corsolette I ordered sadly, while is great for smoothing took away my waist but gave me a great vintage chest! So I am thinking maybe a longline bra and garter belt with be my best option for hoisting the girl and keeping my stockings up without filling in my middle like many shapers seem to do.:(

Trixie33810

New in Town
Hi ladies!!!! I've been lurking for a while and finally joined the group. I have gotten so much great information from you all. I'm so glad to found a super forum like this. :)

I'm wondering if anyone is in the Tampa, FL area and knows of any nice lingerie shoppes down here that sells nice corsets and such. It would be so nice to be able to try things on before purchasing.

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Zee Bullet Bra!

I now have my Rago 21 waist cincher (luv!) and now I wanna find a vintage bullet bra...my question:

If I wear a 34dd, is that what I should be looking for? Are vintage sizes the same? I am getting mixed messages from people and would love to know---I would hate to get something that is not refundable off the web, only to be super uncomfortable and disappointed---I mean, that's a risk I am willing to take (I'm sure I could resell it), but some guidance in advance would be helpful.

THANKS!!
Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles