Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee

Familiar Face
~landgirl~ said:
Umm..

Here it is!

3f_1_b.JPG

That's a very pretty bra! I like the look of it, with the soft coton and the pretty embroidery.

Is this only made for large-breasted ladies? I'm a 34B, and while I have no problem finding my bra size, often the bras that I like the look of are made only for those with larger cup sizes.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Crikey, she was super quick at replying! But the answer was not at the moment, but she said she would let me know if any come in.

Mine wasn't tagged and there isn't even a code on the label - but I am going to make it my mission to search for it on google! It's so very comfy and looks great with a jumper!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Secrets in Lace

Renee said:
Has anyone ever received a catalog from Secrets in Lace? Does the catalog offer more selections than the website, or is it basically the same thing just in print?

I prefer to "shop" with a catalog and then place an order online, but the Secrets in Lace catalog is pricey and I don't want to spend the money if it's just the website all over again.

Thanks for your help!

Hello Renee

I once bought the catalogue but 10$ are too much for it. There is more on the website than in the catalogue.

By the way, they have really cute tap pants at the moment.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Very pretty bra Landgirl, love the eyelet!

GOK, I would love to hear more about corsets and fitting, etc. And for the record, the ones I am pictured in were either vintage and certainly didn't fit me properly but I just HAD to wear them for pics, and the one I had made for me I asked for a bit smaller size so it would fit me after I'm at my goal weight. Also, I'm wearing a bra with it and have it pushed down below the bra which is incorrect, but my dress didn't fit properly if I didn't wear it that way. This one is just a rather "costume" one for my gwtw stuff. It was made with bust, waist and hip measurements of how "I" wanted it to fit.
Indeed, I would love to have one that was *really* fitted and longer through the torso, but not an edwardian style. Could you please tell me more about gussets at the breast area?

I also think it's important for the gals to know that you should never throw on a corset and lace tight. You really should have one made to your exact size, then wear it to break it in before cinching tighter, over quite a long period of time. They shouldn't be uncomfortable at all.

Nikki

Renee

Familiar Face
~landgirl~ said:
It looks like it could be the one at the very bottom:

http://www.undercoverexperience.co.uk/TRIDOR.HTM

mine has the same line going down the middle of the cup and swirls at the side. And yes, they do B cups! If you are in the US you may want to look search the style number and find it on a US site to save a few pennies.

Yes, I'd already googled and found that site! I think what I'm going to do is to try and find some bras in the U.S. that have that "look" to them. Most of the bras that I've bought in the past don't look right (at least to me) with my Rago shapewear. I think it has something to do with the way the cups are designed on newer bras; they appear rounder/curvier. I'm not looking for a bullet bra (I don't know if I could fill out the points! LOL) but something with a little more vintage-style appeal.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
With underbust girdles - do you actually measure the underbust and order the girdle in that size?

My under bust is 30 inches and my waist is 32 (and if I pull TIGHT on the measuring tape, it's a 31!) But surely a 32 inch girdle will bag under the bust?

By the way, I am talking about shapewear again!

P.S. I am probably asking the same question as before, but in a different voice LOL - I should just try the damn thing!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I avoided that thread about corsets, cause I allways get sad cause I can hardly afford one. The problem is I´d have to have one made by my meassures. There is no problem when I wear a waist corset, but I just can´t wear a bust corset cause if I do I can´t lace my waist to the maximum. I´ve been modelling for a corset-seller once and it just wasn´t how it could be.

Usually I can lace down from 32 inches to 24, but with a overbust one I just can´t close the back totally. I know that going down 8 inches sounds a lot, but I just have a very soft tummy. Even in girdles I can wear a 27 with no big problems.

Well I think I got to start saving my money so I can have on one made to my measures.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I just can´t close the back totally.

The corset should never close all the way and meet in the back, there should always be about a two inch gap for flex.

I know what you mean tho. You should save your money and treat yourself to one made to your measurements some day~ or keep your eyes peeled on ebay, you might get lucky!

Nikki

GOK

One Too Many
ohairas said:
The corset should never close all the way and meet in the back, there should always be about a two inch gap for flex.

Absolutely but you'd be surprised how many people don't understand that. If it laces closed then it is too large!

I know what you mean tho. You should save your money and treat yourself to one made to your measurements some day~ or keep your eyes peeled on ebay, you might get lucky!

Nikki

Am I allowed to say here that I allow my clients to pay by instalment?

Jen - it's your waist measurement, not your underbust.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I've always been curious about corsets and tightlacing, but I've always been told that besides being uncomfortable, corsets and tightlacing are very unhealthy:(

You ladies seem to know a lot about this, any wisdom for me?:)

GOK I think I saw that you are a corsetiere, what are your thoughts?

GOK

One Too Many
There are probably more myths spread around about corsets than any other garments. The most popular one being that Victorian women often had their lower ribs removed to give them a more wasp waist. This simply isn't true. For a start, medical technology in that era was not sufficiently advanced to perform such an operation. Then there is the question of anaesthesia. And even if the operation could have been carried out, the patient would most likely die of post operative complications.

Are corsets unhealthy or bad for you? I don't think so. Being constantly corseted will certainly change one's shape and I cannot help but wonder whether there is an amount of muscle wastage because the corset does most of the work. I have heard of people that wear them 23/7 unable to lay down properly if uncorseted but since I have never attempted to train my waist like this, I cannot say for sure. And of course, every person is different.

For the average corset wearer however, provided the garment is well made and fits properly, there should be no discomfort at all and certainly no damage. One of my friends bought a corset (not from me - it was an off the peg one) and after wearing it for a few hours, complained that it actually hurt her ribs. She was still in pain the next day. A corset should never do this and I'd say that the problem she experienced was probably due to the corset's vertical measurements not matching her own, which meant that the pressure would not have been evenly distributed.

I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to have properly fitting corsets. I could go on for ages about this subject but I don't want to clog up the thread. If people want to know more, I'll happily post more but otherwise, PM me!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
GOK said:
For the average corset wearer however, provided the garment is well made and fits properly, there should be no discomfort at all and certainly no damage. One of my friends bought a corset (not from me - it was an off the peg one) and after wearing it for a few hours, complained that it actually hurt her ribs. She was still in pain the next day. A corset should never do this and I'd say that the problem she experienced was probably due to the corset's vertical measurements not matching her own, which meant that the pressure would not have been evenly distributed.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. At costume events it's not uncommon to go for 8+ hours corseted. When I had an off the peg corset one of my ribs would start to hurt after a few hours and would just be sore, but since I made my own I can wear one the whole time with no discomfort. I actually think they are way more comfortable than a bra and girdle or waistcincher. AND I love the shape they give... If ANYTHING can make me have ANY definition up top, I'm all for it ;)

I took the Truly Victorian corset class in Riverside, CA with Queenie and made their new corset pattern. I know they have them from time to time. If anyone's interested, here's their site:
http://www.trulyvictorian.com They have a message board that's great foro Q&A as well, if you need help with their or the Laughing Moon corset pattern :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
GOK said:
Absolutely but you'd be surprised how many people don't understand that. If it laces closed then it is too large!

Am I allowed to say here that I allow my clients to pay by instalment?

Jen - it's your waist measurement, not your underbust.

Instalment? Hmmm... I think I have to have a talk with you!!! :)

GOK

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I actually think they are way more comfortable than a bra and girdle or waistcincher. AND I love the shape they give

I agree - no diggy-in bits, no having to worry about straps...fantastic!

Have you seen the LM video?

birdiepie

New in Town
Placing an order with SIL seems to put you on their mailing list for life! Instead of spending $10 for the catalogue, just buy some RHT's and you're set.

Currently the catalogue does have a couple items that are not yet up on their site, but this seems to be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner