Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
Garters

Does anyone have any information on garters such as what types of stockings to wear with ie silk, nylon or cotton and if there were only certain types of dresses they would be worn with?

I recently saw a pre-code movie with Harlow and she was wearing garters instead of a "softie". I have the Everyday Fashions of the Thirties, however I don't recall seeing garters in it. So, I am putting it to you ladies. What do you think?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I always like wearing silk, there's something about the feel of it that's great. And I would think any kind of dress would be ok to wear with garters...as with most cases though, you do get what you pay for, I had some that were pretty darn useless, which is NOT good when you're wanting your stockings to be staying up!

birdiepie

New in Town
"nothing even approximated the V-shaped torso of the 50s models in my magazines. Actual corsets came closest, but they still weren't quite right"

Corsets differ greatly in shape. For me, the most effective method of achieving this shape is with an underbust corset with a conical ribcage, as opposed to one that curves over the ribs--- the shape is much more graceful and like the "V shape" that you describe.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
I picked the pink/black cincher up off of ebay for $29 last week. It came today and I couldn't wait to try it on. I'm actually quite pleased. It's not as constricting as I thought it would be, but it definitely gives a nice smooth shape. The garters are constructed very well too!

I went with my my actual waist measurement instead of going up a size and the fit is perfect.:D

KatieD

New in Town
Rago pink and black cincher

The Rago code 721 pink and black cincher is very different from the code 21 powermesh plain black (or white one). Whilst the powermesh one gives a great shape the pink and black one doesn't seem to do anything. It's made from heavyweight lycra which might have something to do with it. We ended up recommending people go one or two sizes down, but even so it doesn't give the shaping the powermesh cincher does. In the end we discontinued it - it might look pretty but there is lots of lingerie out there which looks pretty - I expect a product from Rago to actually do something (needless to say, the rest of Rago products are fab)

Katie

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I am buying a new waist cincher b/c the one I recently bought (my first one ever) is really uncomfortable and moves around.

Anyhow...I am getting the Rago Waist Cincher...now the issue here is color.
They have white or black. Do you find that the white shows up when wearing black....or do you find black shows up when wearing light colors?

The one I currently have is a nude color so I haven't found any 'color' issue with my clothing.

Thanks for your input!!!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have both a black and a white cincher, and wear the black one most often because I like the fit better. I do wear it under light colored dresses; I just make sure to always pair it with an opaque nude slip. The same goes for white as well; it shouldn't matter what you wear it under so long as you are also wear a slip (which is important anyway; many vintage fabrics like crepe are very see-through, and whatever you are wearing underneath might be put on display.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
The Rago code 721 pink and black cincher is very different from the code 21 powermesh plain black (or white one).

I purchased the 721 style before reading this thread, but after receiving it I think it does the job just fine. It doesn't have the cinching power of the style 21 (which does offer maximum reduction), but I like it as well as, if not better than, my Lady Marlene waist cincher. I like the fabric the 721 is made out of quite a bit; it's soft and comfortable and the stays don't rub in an uncomfortable fashion either (sometimes my Lady Marlene cincher seems to have this problem.)

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
If you don't need a corselette or full on waist cincher, Secrets in Lace do a wonderful high waisted stretch suspender belt with 6 suspenders. 6 is the minimum you should ever purchase for keeping seams tidy. They also do amazing silk stockings!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
If you don't need a corselette or full on waist cincher, Secrets in Lace do a wonderful high waisted stretch suspender belt with 6 suspenders. 6 is the minimum you should ever purchase for keeping seams tidy. They also do amazing silk stockings!

I bought a similar one from Girdlebound (and I had a great one from Vicki's Nylons, but I don't think she sells quite the same style anymore), and I like it as well as a waist cincher for daily wear (that type of garter belt is quite comfortable, in fact.) However, I personally prefer four suspenders; I usually don't have much trouble with keeping my seams neat (I think because I have fairly curvy legs and stockings just don't seem to move around much on me :))

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
I just got the Rago 21 in black but I have to send it back for a size smaller.
I am hoping it will be the right fit with comfort b/c I did measure accordingly and the one I ordered should have fit nicely, but it was too wide at the top and it didn't pull anything in. Crossing my fingers... I am new at all this xox

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Have any of you ladies purchased from Cameo Intimates? I have a black six strap garter belt (with tummy-and-hip panels) that I adore from them.

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
I like it as well as a waist cincher for daily wear (that type of garter belt is quite comfortable, in fact.) However, I personally prefer four suspenders; I usually don't have much trouble with keeping my seams neat (I think because I have fairly curvy legs and stockings just don't seem to move around much on me :))

A true traditionalist goes for 6 suspenders on each leg! ;-) This option was available on custom corsetry by BR Creation of San Francisco a few years back. Great corsetry, very high quality but now in retirement.

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Six on each leg would be a bit of overkill wouldn't it? I don't actually know if 6 was a legitimate style or just a special request by a customer - the photos I saw showed a pale blue satin corset with 6 straps on each leg also in pale blue ruched satin with frilly lace. It was very cute worn with Victorian underwear but not for me ;-)

On the question of what is a waist cincher - there are many many garments that fall into this category. Corsetry, girdles and high-wiasted garterbelts mostly. Some with light boning and some with stretchy elatics, or both. Some come with with lacing or hook & eye tape or a zipper or just pull on (roll on). The construction of the garment will be the factor in how much it will cinch you in, 1 to 4 inches. Boning and lacing will be the 4 inch shapers were a simple roll on elatic one will just offer a bit of tummy control with out much pulling in. I found the ladies at a website called Shape-U 123 were very helpful in finding out what suited your needs best. They stock all the favourites like Rago, Twillfit and Lady Marlene and some original garments as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner