Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Girdles, Corsets, and Underpinnings

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm starting to consider getting a steel boned waspie or corset for when I get married, as I went to the V&A Golden Age Couture exhibition and there was a video of how tiny they had their waist pulled in. I have to say, once the clothes were on it looked amazing. SO I may get one to give my wedding dress that cinched waist look. And Kaos corsets have some rather lovely cinchers, which aren't overly expensive.

sbwpolkafrntwbvf4.jpg

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I inquired at Chaos corsetts and it´s only + 15 Pound to get it made by meassure. I´m very very tempted to get a waist or overbust corset by them.... But it to wait till after X-Mas!!!

Goldfish

A-List Customer
can i ask you some questions about garter belts here too?

i would love to get some because I need something for the winter to keep my legs warm! feel uncomfortable while wearing tights.
so my idea was to cut my tights and attach the legs to a garter belt...?

how do I make sure to find a comfortable garter belt, which material should it be made off?
do I need the size I usually buy my panties in?
How many should I buy to wear them daily?(do you wear yours more than 1 day?)??

I would love to buy some girdles, currently have one that was really expensive and as far as I know true vintage ... but I don´t have the money to spend right now *sigh*

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Do you want a garter belt that works as a shaper, or just a belt to hold up your stockings?

Real belts will typically set at the waist and be snug cause it takes a lot to keep those stocking up:)

There are a lot of those 'risque' type belts that are purely for show and nothing else. Id avoid those.

Stores that sell foundation garments will generally have a good selection of belts too.

LD

Goldfish

A-List Customer
well I want something that I can wear under jeans, too, and won´t ride up... shouldn´t be just for show but not ugly either

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Goldfish said:
well I want something that I can wear under jeans, too, and won´t ride up... shouldn´t be just for show but not ugly either

Well not all girdles are open-bottomed. If you want something you can wear under jeans, you want a panty girdle or a long leg shaper.

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I was also wondering how many girdles/belts to have to wear them daily. I just got my first retro dress and I want to take the plunge to get a girdle, but I want to be able to start wearing clothes like this more often and daily eventually.

I am so afraid to buy undergarments or really, any clothes online! Is there any place that sells Rago in an actual store? I would hate to order something and it not fit. I have a small chest, but large hips.

Also, my legs rub together when I walk, causing chafing - I wish they didn't, but I don't think I could ever help that - and I was reading this thread and a lot of you are suggesting long panty girdles, but I also want thigh-high stockings, so is it possible to wear a garter belt also while wearing a long panty girdle? Or do you think it would be fine to just get an open bottom girdle? Or how would I remedy that?

Also, my mom said that Bali is good - anyone have opinions on them?

Goldfish

A-List Customer
thinking about panty girdles & long leg shapers ... I think I will feel very uncomfortable in them... I am more a glam - boudoir type of girl when it´s comes to underwear! But that´s not vintage, isn´t it? (serious!)

@Ada Veen
well that´s because I always use the same words lol

PS

A-List Customer
I have been sitting over at girdlebound.com plotting my next purchase and have really been drawn to the dyed items. How do you think they dye them?? I was thinking about getting a white one (whatever i choose) and dying it myself. The items almost look like they have a few different colors on them, but how would that be possible? Do some fabrics just not take color the same so that would be why the color effects look multi-tonal?:eusa_doh: i have confused myself.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
ASimpleLady said:
I'd like a garter belt that works as a shaper as well.
What would you recommend?

I personally like the Rago Diet-Minded Garter belts. They help hold in your tummy area and just slip on. They're the most comfortable garter belts I've ever worn.

I just got a Rago look-alike from Girdlebound on the Bay. It looks and fits like the Rago, but is not made in the USA as the Ragos are; it says it was made in Indonesia. The fabric is a little stiffer and not as soft, so I don't think the quality is the same as a Rago. But it was 1/2 the price of the Rago. I'm hoping it will soften up a bit after I hand wash it. I have sensitve skin and my Rago girdle chafes me at the waist, so I can only wear it for short time periods, but the Rago garter belts are quite comfy. I'm hoping it won't be the same with this Girdlebound one. (I think the maker name on the garter belt was Crepe-Suzette) From now on, I'll stick with "real" Rago garter belts. But I bet most of you girls aren't super sensitive to fabric and other materials, so the Girdlebound ones may work well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner