Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Give your patriotism a boost here: Share what makes you feel patriotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up

Paddy: Remember the Oxford Union around 1934 making that resolution that they under no circumstances would fight for their country? (Or words to that effect). I think sometimes people surprise themselves when push comes to shove.

just_me

Practically Family
Voting.

Our most basic right and responsibility as citizens and the chance to, hopefully, have some say in the direction of the country.

In fact, I'm heading out to vote right now. (early voting in my state)

Edward

Bartender
Good point, DH. I suspect that after the horrors of WW1 (at least, what the average person was allowed to see of them at the time.... and I gather from a friend working at the IWM there are some images of the trenches in their care that are so horrific they still have not been considered appropriate for the public at large to see), it would have been very difficult to 'sell' a war based on 'king and country' alone. The nature of the Hitler regime and his being A Bad Man who Had To Be Stopped I think had a big impact on people's feelings regarding the war.

carter

I'll Lock Up
What of the Patriotism of the Common Man ?

I believe the voice of the Patriot need not be strident nor deny the rights of others. I believe a Patriot can be a citizen of the world. I believe a Patriot can be one who recognizes the Patriotism of other peoples in other lands. I believe a Patriot can be at one with those who share a commonality of love for a homeland no matter where they are. I believe Patriotism lives in the hearts and minds of men and women of all races, nationalities, and creeds. It cannot be conscripted by the few nor is it the exclusive province of the extremist.

The Voice of the Patriot

There is a quiet voice that doesn't clamor to be heard. It's the voice of the common man and woman.
It's the voice that speaks of love for a people and a place. It's a voice that speaks of decency and forebearance.
It's a voice of moderation.
It's a voice that may be stifled but never stopped.
It's a voice heard in the marketplace and the home.
It's a voice that murmurs in the morning, is boisterous at noon, is measured in the evening, and whispers in it's sleep.

It's the voice of many peoples in many lands.

Cricket

Practically Family
I feel most patriotic when:

I hear the Star Spangled Banner. Sometimes it even brings a tear to my eye. When I was watching the summer Olympics, every time I heard it, I found myself cranking the TV up.

When I meet veterans, especially the older men and women from the WWII era. They are a dying breed. There seems to have been more pride with them in certain areas.It is something else when I hear the way they talk about their country with such pride. I only wish that people were still in love with their country as much as they were back then.

On the Fourth of July (naturally). My husband and I have this thing where we drive through our small town with the flag hanging out the window, We yell, laugh and greet people. It brings a smile to my face when I see people yell back with a smile, shoot their hands in the air. It seems as if we are motivational speakers. :)

And finally, for some reason, when I watch baseball. Something about the Banner, the peanuts, the sport, the players, the excitement.

Perhaps, we need to visit this thread everyday. I got patriotic just reading all the responses.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
Good call. And thanks.

I chimed in earlier on when the posts were simply responses to the original thread title/question. Since I have direct answers to that, I typed them up. Didn't realize this could be debatable. It'd be like asking "What makes orange your favorite color?" I'd figure only those to whom that applies would want to answer and not be 'corrected' and countered by those who prefer green.

It doesn't spoil it, it's just kind of comical.

Dangerous question. Don't ask Irish people if they prefer Orange or Green.

context

dhermann1 said:
Paddy: Remember the Oxford Union around 1934 making that resolution that they under no circumstances would fight for their country? (Or words to that effect). I think sometimes people surprise themselves when push comes to shove.

Wasn't that from a debating society? i.e. This house contends that under no circumstances would fight for their country. I've attended many such debates. Often with staunch nationalists being forced to play Devil's Advocate.

bk

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
PADDY said:
Sadly, many young folk now cannot even sing our National Anthem (don't know the words or the tune [huh] ).

Paddy, this is a problem in the U.S. inasmuch as most people can't sing the Star-Spangled Banner well. Part of the problem is that it is hard for non-professionals to sing. There has been a small movement in this country to pick another song as the national anthem, although it is highly unlikely anything will ever come of it.

NH

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Nighthawk said:
Paddy, this is a problem in the U.S. inasmuch as most people can't sing the Star-Spangled Banner well. Part of the problem is that it is hard for non-professionals to sing. There has been a small movement in this country to pick another song as the national anthem, although it is highly unlikely anything will ever come of it.

NH

HOpefully, this is not straying into politics.

There is a rumor floating around, obviously untrue that a candidate wants to change it to I'd like to teach the world to sing.

Funny, but I do get all squishy inside when I hear that one. Makes me proud to be an american. Coca cola and all that.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
Coca cola and all that.

Diet Coke for me!

On a more serious note, I would say that I feel patriotic when I think about the Apollo 11 landing. But note that they also, "Came for all mankind." So I guess something can be both patriotic and relavant to all people at the same time.

NH

ortega76

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
HOpefully, this is not straying into politics.

There is a rumor floating around, obviously untrue that a candidate wants to change it to I'd like to teach the world to sing.

Funny, but I do get all squishy inside when I hear that one. Makes me proud to be an american. Coca cola and all that.

I've always thought that "This Land Is Your Land" or "America The Beautiful" would be great national anthems.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
I am from Canada but this goes for all our countries...
Going and voting makes me feel patriotic.. Even if you don't get the outcome you'd wished for... Canada just had an election too and nothing changed...
We still have the same Prime Minister as we had before..
But at least we get to vote.. There are many places in the world that never get to vote.. And still places where women can 't vote either....

Kassia

One of the Regulars
LordBest said:
Personally I prefer a Monarch to a President simply because I trust someone brought up in an environment of service and duty all their life to a man driven by ambition. I realise many will disagree. In Australia I think we have the ideal balance. A head of government chosen by the people, a head of state with reserve power, chosen by parliamentary concensus, but who answers to an impartial third party, The Crown.

mind.

Absolutley agree with you!! But then i am Canadian so we similar system..
I am sure that others in other Constitutional Monarchies may agree too..

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let's give a round of applause to Hemingway Jones for applying a light touch to any edits he may have made and thusly keeping the thread open.

Let's give a hand to everyone for keeping the conversation civil.

I hope our national anthem will not change to kumbaya.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
ortega76 said:
I've always thought that "This Land Is Your Land" or "America The Beautiful" would be great national anthems.

I especially like this land is your land because it was written by Woodie Guthrie. I like it anyway, but he was such a populist, and when I hear the song, I am reminded at both the beauty of our land, but also that this land is your and my land, not the elite, not the government, not the politicians, but all of ours. That song does indeed make me feel patriotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner