Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamorous Men?

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
There's a very interesting, essentially ladies-only thread in the Powder Room section which asks about 'glamour'. One of the thread's posts implies that men can be glamorous too. Hmmm....

It got me to thinking: is there a male 'version' of glamor? If so, what is it? I'll posit that 'manly glamour' (what a term!) is manifested as the 'tall, strong, silent type'. I.e., Gary Cooper ... and Mohammed Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan. Or not so silent, but strong and iconoclastic: General Douglas MacArthur, Gerald Murphy, the young John Barrymore ... and Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali, of course.

Men, what do you think?

And since this thread is directed primarily at the women of the Lounge and not the men, why don't you gents take a seat in the back there, and let's let the women of the Lounge speak up and see how they define it.

Lizzie is right about the Powder Room thread. For the same reasons, I ask that the women of the Lounge kindly "take a seat in the back" in this thread, and that the men of the Lounge "speak up and see how they define it."

Last edited:

davidraphael

Practically Family
I have no problem with the term, which has been somewhat hijacked to mean a kind of 'look' or physical presence, but glamorous actually means "to have an air of allure, romance and excitement"

So, I'm guessing Cary Grant, Johnny Depp, George Clooney... but I guess it depends on what rocks your boat; I mean, it could also lean toward guys who have an 'edge of trouble': Samuel L Jackson, Jim Morrison, Daniel Craig's Bond, etc.

There are some today that might carry the tradition, albeit in weaker fashion. It's a sign of the changing times. I equate it to having "class" as well as looks and attitude. There's not a lot of it in Hollywood, but I bet it exists amongst the worlds wealthiest top-tier socialites.
It almost doesn't "fit" any more, does it? Look at how out of place people feel with their vintage obsessions here. Being "cool" seems more important these days, although one could argue that cool was way cooler in days gone by.
I also don't buy into the notion on the women's thread that women "Don't do it for men". I see women compete with one another for sure, but I just don't buy into it. Not completely.

As to the "other topic" in the women's room, I list posts here by "new post" and use the "lightweight" page view option. There's no way to know it's off-limits to guys as such. But this is fine - the topic won't have much life (IMHO) as a gender-specific (exclusive) one. :)

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think glamour involves money but also some understatement. Ghetto bling ain't glamour but vintage workwear neither. Something more refined. I also think of golden era Hollywood but maybe a little earlier. Rudolf valentino would come to my mind. Not the edge of trouble guys mentioned above.

But of course the term is beaten to death. Just like dandy. Most so called dandies are just peacocks and didn't get enough attention from their moms.

bulldog1935

Suspended
baseball is glamorous
Yeah, I was in the show. I was in the show for 21 days once - the 21 greatest days of my life. You know, you never handle your luggage in the show, somebody else carries your bags. It was great. You hit white balls for batting practice, the ballparks are like cathedrals, the hotels all have room service, and the women all have long legs and brains.

This fly reel was a production reel from the largest manufacturer in England between the wars, though compared to the US manfacturing method of stamp it from sheet, British manufacturing was still an assemblage of artisans.
I always refer to this checkwork as elegant
ysg10.jpg

bulldog1935

Suspended
I can tell you that contrite and contentious is not glamorous. If you consider the men who play baseball, and who made the history of the sport, they count as glamorous.
I'll politely leave your personal thread now, and assure you I will find some glamour.

I can tell you that contrite and contentious is not glamorous. If you consider the men who play baseball, and who made the history of the sport, they count as glamorous.I'll politely leave your personal thread now, and assure you I will find some glamour.
Well, I don't get it. Sorry.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
If you consider the men who play baseball, and who made the history of the sport, they count as glamorous.

Please feel free to name specific players. (For instance, Babe Ruth?) The thread's title is "Glamorous Men", not "Glamorous Pastimes and Professions". Can't be more clear than that.

How can a sport be glamorous? I mean, maybe polo? Dunno. Threadjack. See - I knew a unisex set of threads on this subject would die. We need mixed parties to get this one sorted, or die trying lol

m0nk

One Too Many
How can a sport be glamorous? I mean, maybe polo? Dunno. Threadjack. See - I knew a unisex set of threads on this subject would die. We need mixed parties to get this one sorted, or die trying lol
Yeah, and that comes with men commenting on men... it just doesn't happen, most men don't really care about what other guys are glamorous. JMO, moving on...

I'll take a stab.

Al Capone, Elliot Ness, Joe Dimaggio,Tyrone Power.

Glamour is in the eye of the beholder, just like looks. Now CLASS comes in all colors, sizes, etc. One need not be rich and famous or beautiful or glamorous to have CLASS.
I'll take the classy person over glamour and beauty anyday. Thats just me.
Best regards
CCJ

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Cary Grant. Fred Astaire. John Kennedy.

Most of the men named in this thread are not glamorous. Glamor refers to a spell, a charisma.

Maybe it's just me, but I think being Classy is more the common 'blanket' term for men who would fit into a category such as that. I'm just not sure a lot of men would like to be thought of as glamorous. I know in my neck of the woods, you tell a guy he's classy, he takes it as a compliment; call him glamorous and your tonsils may just be wearing your mustache lol

There's a very interesting, essentially ladies-only thread in the Powder Room section which asks about 'glamour'. One of the thread's posts implies that men can be glamorous too. Hmmm....

It got me to thinking: is there a male 'version' of glamor? If so, what is it? I'll posit that 'manly glamour' (what a term!) is manifested as the 'tall, strong, silent type'. I.e., Gary Cooper ... and Mohammed Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan. Or not so silent, but strong and iconoclastic: General Douglas MacArthur, Gerald Murphy, the young John Barrymore ... and Cassius Clay/Mohammed Ali, of course.

Men, what do you think?

All kidding aside, I think the individuals you picked would be good choices. I think most of the sharp dressed gangster types (Al Capone, etc) had a certain quality that could be called glamorous, as with the Golden Age movie stars.

amador

A-List Customer
Very interesting. Glamour in women vs Glamour in men. Of course we all know that the ladies section of a clothing store is much more extensive that the mens section. So choices for donning masculine "Glamor" are less.
I used to say that men went to the gym to work out not to impress the ladies but to scare the other guys. That may explain the joke about having a theater only half full during a "guy movie". So if I dress up will that scare the other guys and make me the Alpha Male? Is the Alpha Male Glam?
So is glamour misplaced on men? Are men considered glamourous when they dress up or when they have a presence inspite of their garb? Is glamour mostly female attribute? Lots of questions begging answers.

For me...I think it is best left up to a women as to whether a man is considered glamorous or not.
I've seen male counterparts as strikingly handsome with natural charisma..looking impressively dressed even if casually...but can't say I've ever related 'glamour' to another male. However..certain woman..absolutely! I even think that many ordinary women can appear quite glamorous at the right time and place. In the soft moonlight. Wearing the right color. Even the mood can offer amazing results.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner