Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glamorous Men?

davidraphael

Practically Family
Personally, I wouldn't have thought of Elvis as glamorous, but I guess I can see what you mean.

To me, this is male glamorous. Rudolph Valentino in The Son of the Sheik:

Rudolph_Valentino_1926_The_Son_of_the_Sheik__02.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I understand some of you guys are worried to appear unmanly if you admit some men are glamorous? I don't know...

Some fashion designers from the 20s and 30s could be called glamorous because their work did create the glamour of that era. Lucien Lelong or Adrian. Certainly no rugged uber-manly men but no sissy boys either. At least I would say that. Maybe my manliness standards differ

Edward

Bartender
Gary Cooper. Gary Cooper was "glamorous" wasn't he?
[video=youtube;IFabjc6mFk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFabjc6mFk4[/video]

So was Gene Wilder, no?

[video=youtube;co6-tYS9k1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6-tYS9k1U[/video]

I understand some of you guys are worried to appear unmanly if you admit some men are glamorous? I don't know...

Some fashion designers from the 20s and 30s could be called glamorous because their work did create the glamour of that era. Lucien Lelong or Adrian. Certainly no rugged uber-manly men but no sissy boys either. At least I would say that. Maybe my manliness standards differ

Yeah, that seems a common problem. I'm sure a lot of folks were as obsessed with being "manly" back when too, though it probably worked itself out in a very different way. Maybe it's the contemporary association of being glamorous with being "sexy"? I don't especially see the two as the same, myself. I've always considered Marilyn Monroe to have been very glamorous, but I've never personally found her sexy. In terms of the present day, Clooney is probably the only star left who has that "old Hollywood" glamour all the time. Depp comes close to it. Most A-list stars look great when they on set, but off it, it all goes wrong.

bulldog1935

Suspended
OK, I'll put a little time into this argument this morning.
gratuitousds-1-2.jpg
* Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men
the fly reel - a mechanical system can be at most elegant, not glamorous.
A good watch is elegant. Effective solutions to mechanical problems can be simple, and they can also be elegant.
Though glamorous people tend to like elegant things.

Playing major league baseball is not a profession. It's not something you or I could choose to do, nor could we be trained or educated to do.
It's a state of grace.
The players know that, and they live their lives accordingly, both on and off the field. They travel in style, they play in the cathedrals of our civilization, they dress well, they're educated, lucid, and all the women have brains and long legs.
Major League baseball doesn't have hooligans playing.
They stand for something - something American.
Going to the ballpark is a human sociall event - the greatest picnic on the planet - it's not something you can understand on television.
Golf is the Avis of professional sports.
1QHG_Hank_Arron.jpg

(any guess of how many sons today are given the names Henry Aaron?)
If you go down the list of greats, every one counts as glamorous
baseball_table_h.jpg

and the players who didn't make this list.
Just look a the quality of recent alumni of Major League Baseball
Cal Ripken, Nolan Ryan - glamorous men.

1927CobbwGeorgeBurnsofCleveland.jpg

rollie-fingers-major-league-baseball-all-star-game-red-carpet-parade-july-15-2008-0LxOYL.jpg

marilynjoe4.jpg

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Edward Fox comes to mind so does Colin Firth for contemporary actors.

For the Golden Era, Cary Grant and Herbert Marshal come to mind.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
Seriously, glamorous does not mean effete.

Agreed. Glamour and effeminacy are not necessary conditions for each other, but they're not mutually exclusive either.

I think that glamour means 'larger than life'. There are men and women who take nearly everything they do a step further and succeed at it. They seem to gravitate toward certain callings: sports, exploration, entrepreneurship, art and entertainment, and politics. Their perceived glamour is fed by a snowball effect: legends begin to grow around it, making it larger. To many people, John F. Kennedy seemed more glamorous in 1968 than he had seemed in 1960. To others, Ronald Reagan seems more glamorous today than he did in 1980 or '84. Only Theodore Roosevelt was at the height of his glamour while still in the Oval Office. Love them or not, the Barack Obama and Sarah Palin of 2008 were, to their supporters, the most glamorous national candidates of recent years.

Robert E. Lee, William Armstrong Custer and Douglas MacArthur were glamorous; Ulysses S. Grant, George Pershing and Dwight D. Eisenhower were not.

Douglas Fairbanks Sr. was glamorous; so was Liberace. Yes, they were very different from each other.

Richard Branson is glamorous; Donald Trump is not.

Last edited:

I don't remember being 'worried'/concerned about appearing 'manly' since the natural macho competitions of boyhood years ago. It's not the idea of 'admitting'..but simply stating a personal opinion of only associating 'glamour' with women. I really don't consider that odd at all...or hiding something psychological underneath a false premise. However..in todays world among many...certain feelings or opinions cannot really be honest but must always be suspect and diminished as something much more frivolous. In my oldschool mind the 'unmanly'worries suggestion may reflect more on the criticiser than the original party being evaluated.
HD

I don't remember being 'worried'/concerned about appearing 'manly' since the natural macho competitions of boyhood years ago. It's not the idea of 'admitting'..but simply stating a personal opinion of only associating 'glamour' with women. I really don't consider that odd at all...or hiding something psychological underneath a false premise. However..in todays world among many...certain feelings or opinions cannot really be honest but must always be suspect and diminished as something much more frivolous. In my oldschool mind the 'unmanly'worries suggestion may reflect more on the criticiser than the original party being evaluated. HD

Well put Van. I don't use "glamorous" in connection with men either. I might use dashing.

Howard Hughes.

Hemmingway.

Clark Gable.

The reading into everything these days as racist/homophobic/xenophobic gets tiring, real fast. In fact, this is the first time I've seen "glamorous" used to define men - ever. I admire lots of men. Some of them are even gay - OMG! Come on folks, let's give more credit to each other here.

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
In fact, this is the first time I've seen "glamorous" used to define men - ever.

The first time I saw "glamorous" used to define a man was several days ago, in a thread in the Powder Room:

.... In terms of actors of the 30's & 40's I say Ann Dvorak or Warren William easily can be defined as glamorous...

It surprised me, and got me thinking: can men be "glamorous"? Clearly, Lolly_Loisides thinks so. But how?

Last edited:
It surprised me, and got me thinking: can men be "glamorous"? Clearly, Lolly_Loisides thinks so. But how?

Usually..a woman's point of view...that can be very understandable.
I've even heard women comment..'Wow..now he is pretty'! Not at all in a derogatory way.
..but if we change this into a thread of 'understanding women'..I must politely bow out....:D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The term 'glamorous couple" , to describe a man and woman (usually married) , has been around for ages......

Personally, I don't believe glamour truly exists. It's just a marketing ploy used to sell people, places, things, etc.....

The term 'glamorous couple" , to describe a man and woman (usually married) , has been around for ages......Personally, I don't believe glamour truly exists. It's just a marketing ploy used to sell people, places, things, etc.....
Probably so. It was a very successful marketing tool in the 40's and 50's. Movies, colognes, clothing, etc. You're dead on there. But I still only really see it as a term for women, if we're singling out one or the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael