Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

goatskin civi jackets--why not more?

striperhound

New in Town
Hi. I was wondering if anybody has any insight into why vintage horsehide civilian jackets seem to so vastly outnumber goatskin ones, especially since goatskin has been mentioned to be so darn tuff? This seems to be the case for postwar as well as prewar civilian jackets, so it doesn't seem to follow the same trend as military jackets, which shifted over from horse as supplies waned. Is it simpy a matter of style?

On a related note, I'd kind of like to buy a goatskin repro civilian jacket, and I was wondering if anyone's actually owned and could recommend one (and/or would want to sell theirs) from any of the usual suspects (Aero, LW), or from one of the Japanese companies?

Thanks, Dan

p.s. I also posted this on VLJ

pablocham

One of the Regulars
At least one reason, though probably not the main reason, is that most people have no clue what goatskin looks like. I have a 40s Goatskin 3/4 length that the seller described as Horsehide. In the absence of a label, 99/100 people couldn't recognize goatskin if their lives depended on it. My guess is that there are plenty of vintage jackets being described as "Leather" or "Horsehide" or "Lamb" when they are actually goat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou