Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going Atomic With Dalton

View attachment 279789 View attachment 279792 This brown Dalton came with the dark gray one in a twofer deal from the same eBay seller, who I was lucky to be able to buy two Crofut and Knapps the next day while perusing eBay again.
Out of the 4 fedoras the original owner had, he must’ve really liked wearing this one as it was well worn.
The reedless sweat was mostly unattached and the OR styled thin ribbon was irretrievably sweat stained and unraveled.
I dyed 1 1/2” white vintage grosgrain to this copper-ish color and sewed it on with a low dip at the bow keep.
The original sweat was stitched back to the felt and I’ll admit that is some seriously tedious work!
Yes. Wish I would’ve used a lighter brown thread, too.
I thought this hat would look great with just a center crease and an unsnapped brim. I like it. Comfy, dress hat.
The last photo represents the copper color of the ribbon best. Don’t know why it looks so red in the others. View attachment 279790 View attachment 279791 View attachment 279788
You're going for the gold there with all these Daltons, Randall! If you're not careful you have a gang on your hands:)

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
@RandallRenshaw,

Wish I knew the quality designation hierarchy. Regal and Premier, but not certain which is above the other.

The one I bought from the seller was the first one he listed. He indicated more Daltons were coming, but the window closed for me before I saw them. He indicated later they sold within minutes, so you must have seen them right away. Then he tried to sell me a Dorfman Pacific, LOL.

On the one with the gold brim binding - do you think that's the original color?

Yeah, he tried to put that Dorfman-Pacific on me, too. Asked me how much he should try to sell it for.
I was considerate and didn’t tell him that he should stick a dollar behind the sweatband and just throw it away.
After the first two hats sold so quickly he messaged me saying he must’ve had the prices set too low. I ignored that part of the message but answered his other concerns.
The next day he listed the C&Ks for only $20 more apiece. Glad I didn’t tell him how much more he could’ve asked!
I don’t feel particularly obligated to educate eBay sellers on proper pricing.

As far as the gold binding being original to the Dalton, or not, doesn’t really matter to me since it looks this freaking awesome!
If it didn’t look good, original, or not, I would certainly change it.

Last edited:
Yeah, he tried to put that Dorfman-Pacific on me, too. Asked me how much he should try to sell it for.
I was considerate and didn’t tell him that he should stick a dollar behind the sweatband and just throw it away.
After the first two hats sold so quickly he messaged me saying he must’ve had the prices set too low. I ignored that part of the message but answered his other concerns.
The next day he listed the C&Ks for only $20 more apiece. Glad I didn’t tell him how much more he could’ve asked!
I don’t feel particularly obligated to educate eBay sellers on proper pricing.

As far as the gold binding being original to the Dalton, or not, doesn’t really matter to me since it looks this freaking awesome!
If it didn’t look good, original, or not, I would certainly change it.

Caveat venditor. I was asking if you thought the binding had developed a patina or if the warm color it shows was the original color of the binding. I assume the binding is original.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You're on a roll with some very nice Dalton's there, Randall. Those all look super.

View attachment 279789 View attachment 279792 This brown Dalton came with the dark gray one in a twofer deal from the same eBay seller, who I was lucky to be able to buy two Crofut and Knapps the next day while perusing eBay again.
Out of the 4 fedoras the original owner had, he must’ve really liked wearing this one as it was well worn.
The reedless sweat was mostly unattached and the OR styled thin ribbon was irretrievably sweat stained and unraveled.
I dyed 1 1/2” white vintage grosgrain to this copper-ish color and sewed it on with a low dip at the bow keep.
The original sweat was stitched back to the felt and I’ll admit that is some seriously tedious work!
Yes. Wish I would’ve used a lighter brown thread, too.
I thought this hat would look great with just a center crease and an unsnapped brim. I like it. Comfy, dress hat.
The last photo represents the copper color of the ribbon best. Don’t know why it looks so red in the others. View attachment 279790 View attachment 279791 View attachment 279788

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Dalton Hat Ads 1895-96
The_Indianapolis_Journal_Mon__Mar_4__1895_.jpg
The_Indianapolis_Journal_Fri__Nov_20__1896_.jpg
The_Indianapolis_Journal_Fri__Sep_4__1896_.jpg

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
Dalton in the News 1923

3-10-1923
Yonkers_Statesman_and_the_Yonkers_Daily_News_Sat__Mar_10__1923_.jpg

6-28-1923
The_Yonkers_Herald_Thu__Jun_28__1923_.jpg

7-31-1923

Yonkers_Statesman_and_the_Yonkers_Daily_News_Tue__Jul_31__1923_.jpg

9-14-1923

The_Yonkers_Herald_Fri__Sep_14__1923_.jpg

10-31-1923
Yonkers_Statesman_and_the_Yonkers_Daily_News_Wed__Oct_31__1923_.jpg

Attachments

• Yonkers_Statesman_and_the_Yonkers_Daily_News_Sat__Mar_10__1923_.jpg
    Yonkers_Statesman_and_the_Yonkers_Daily_News_Sat__Mar_10__1923_.jpg
    929.1 KB · Views: 49

These are great, Dave, thanks! Are most or all of these from the Yonkers Statesman? I 've learned quite a bit here. I didn't know when the Dalton Hat Co. was formed, and from your earliest ads they extended back to the 1890s, at least. Born in 1865, apparently. They were using "America's Finest" in the 1930s, so that pre-dates the war. Still wondering whether the change from America's to World's Finest means anything, date-wise.

There is some really good stuff in here. Thanks, again!

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up
These are great, Dave, thanks! Are most or all of these from the Yonkers Statesman? I 've learned quite a bit here. I didn't know when the Dalton Hat Co. was formed, and from your earliest ads they extended back to the 1890s, at least. Born in 1865, apparently. They were using "America's Finest" in the 1930s, so that pre-dates the war. Still wondering whether the change from America's to World's Finest means anything, date-wise.

Yes, most are from the Yonkers Statesman

DaveProc

I'll Lock Up

I'll see if I can try to find a date range for the change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB