Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Golden Bear jackets - what do you think about their quality?

Chappy

New in Town
I have been looking at a leather jacket from Golden Bear of San Francisco. I havn't noticed any references to them on this forum and was wondering if anyone here had good or bad experiences with them. Thanks, Chappy

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey Chappy - Welcome!! I'd suggest placing this thread in the Outerwear section instead of Classified, you'll get a lot more responses.

As for Golden Bear- I don't have personal experience, however their very minimalist website says "caution" to me for two reasons. 1) they seem a lot more concerned with style and presentation than real content and details of the product. 2) Made in USA labels can be sewn into "imported" products. Not saying these are, but you just really don't know...

Chappy

New in Town
Hey Chappy - Welcome!! I'd suggest placing this thread in the Outerwear section instead of Classified, you'll get a lot more responses.

As for Golden Bear- I don't have personal experience, however their very minimalist website says "caution" to me for two reasons. 1) they seem a lot more concerned with style and presentation than real content and details of the product. 2) Made in USA labels can be sewn into "imported" products. Not saying these are, but you just really don't know...

Chappy

New in Town
You are right on the placement of this, my apologies. I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Welcome Chappy! Don't feel bad man, I've placed an outerwear topic or two in this section myself:oops: I've owned more than a couple vintage Golden Bear M/c jackets. The older ones are amazing but as time has pushed on the quality has unfortunately diminished. If you are considering an older GB fear not. Anything past 1970 or so. Meh. No thanks.

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I've had two of their older leather jackets, both just as well made as any other makers, cannot comment on their new stuff but it would be doubtful if it's the same quality.
Maybe best to look for one with pre ykk zipper.

Reactions: RJR

technovox

One Too Many
The early Golden Bear jackets were made in San Francisco, California and were equal if not better in quality to Schott, Brooks, Lesco and many others also made in the USA. When I was buying from them in the 80's, they offered a variety of leathers- goatskin, cowhides, italian leather and did all their fabrication on site at the San Francisco facility. But sadly, sometime in 2000, they started outsourcing to China, and in my opinion, the quality suffered.
Lately there has been an interest in their legacy and brand, and some indications that the manufacturing and high quality are returning. If you can find an earlier jacket made in US, with the Talon zippers, and earlier label, then it's usually a well made jacket.

Chappy

New in Town
Thank you al for your comments. I made an unusual purchase. I bought a jacket from a fellow in SF. He had an old horsehide jacket he bought second hand and was quite fond of it till it began to fall apart a bit. This was a bit over 25 years ago. He went to Golden Bear and said he was looking for something like it. By his story, the folks at Golden Bear liked the style and asked if they could use it as a pattern/model, to which he agreed. They then made him a new, but similar style, jacket in heavy black cowhide with some other custom features, such as altering the number and placement of pockets. So he went home with his new jacket about 25 years ago. This is the jacket I am now waiting for in the mail. He also mentioned that he had them use very heavy duty zippers and such. So I am looking forward to receiving the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner