Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

golden era sweaters

mike

Call Me a Cab
Anyone know of any modern reproductions of golden age-fitting sweaters? long sleeve or sleeveless. I would like to find something that doesn't have a modern waist line but a higher, more vintage measurement. Any ideas? I find buying expensive original sweaters online seems like a blind choice since you wouldn't know how much they stretch/do they fit without trying them on, ya know!?
ok thanks in advance for any help! :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
If you have a Ralph Lauren Rugby store around you, I recommend you pay them a visit. I got a sweater vest from them, and as I haven't gotten it cleaned lately, it has stretched out, but when I first got it, it fit like a 30s sweater vest with the shorter cut, wider waist ribbing, higher armhole, etc.
They are not too horribly priced as far as Ralph Lauren goes- certainly not as exorbitant (sp?) as Purple Label. They don't have an on-line store but it's worth it to check it out.
I've also had luck with J. Crew- they do some nice vintage-inspired sweaters.
Also I stopped into Banana Republic and they had a beautiful heavy, thick yarn wool shawl-collared cardigan in cream and gray as a part of their "heritage" collection...the kicker was they wanted $300!!!!! for it. How ridiculous! :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:
Worst comes to worse, you could just tuck the sweater in if it's thin enough for a retro look. I've done that more than once.

mike

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
J. Peterman usually does at least one vintage-inspired sweater each year.
http://jpeterman.com/category.asp?cat=100203

Pendleton has a shawl collar pullover for Christmas.
http://www.pendleton-usa.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1878&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,5,412&iProductID=1878

Orvis may have something as well.
http://www.orvis.com/store/shop.aspx?pageType=GROUP&dir_id=885&Group_ID=903&shop_id=7834

yeah I just got the Via Tournaboni in the mail. It's a size medium and it's a very nice sweater. Just not fitting as I was looking for. I wonder if the small would be perfect or if it would look like I didn't really fit into it. questions questions...

And thanks Ray, I will look into the rugby store, although there doesn't seem to be any around LA... I'll keep my eyes open!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
The new Land's End catalog feautures a shawl collared sweater in several colors and its comes with leather elbow patches. Cost - $49.00. I havent seen one in person but it looks pretty sharp.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
look in the women's section ;) their sweaters are usually higher waisted and with deeper ribbing more like a 30s mens sweater.

this Brooks Brothers cardigan is about as high waisted and deep ribbed as you will currently find:

thombrownecardigan.jpg

the proportion is almost identical to a couple of 30s cardigans i have. unfortunately that one above is over $1000.

HBK

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I bought a bunch of mossimo sweaters from target with wide waistbands. I bought the smallest size, and since they were long, I just folded over the waistband. I'll try and post pics soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass