Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good value Panamas?

mattface

Practically Family
Hey, so my boss of the past 12 years is retiring in a few weeks, and my co-worker and I want to get him something. I know he's interested in getting a Panama, and I know hats well enough to tell a decent one from junk. I feel I should be able to get something pretty decent in the $100 ballpark, but I also see a lot of junk in that price range.

I pretty much know what to look for, but I haven't been looking in a while, and I'm sifting through a lot of junk, so I though I would turn you gentlemen to help point me in the direction of some decent quality Panamas in the $100 range. One of the things I've found in lower price hats is cloth sweatbands. These are next to useless in my experience, because they don't actually absorb much sweat, and they develop a stank over time that you can't get rid of rendering a hat unwearable. On the various websites I've been looking at I can't always tell if a hat has a leather sweat, and that's going to be a requirement.

Hi, Matt! Hope all is well in beautiful, sunny Montpelier today. I was born and raised in St. J., and miss the people and beauty of the area...

My first suggestion is Panama Bob, specifically his discounted lids. Those are ready to go, and he even has a SIZE 8 available at the moment (you DO know the boss' size, right). There is a Tom Gomez blocked beauty for $109 (and taking bids). That one is advertised with leather sweatband.
Here's his site:
http://panamas.biz/

Best of luck!

mattface

Practically Family
Hi, Matt! Hope all is well in beautiful, sunny Montpelier today. I was born and raised in St. J., and miss the people and beauty of the area...

My first suggestion is Panama Bob, specifically his discounted lids. Those are ready to go, and he even has a SIZE 8 available at the moment (you DO know the boss' size, right). There is a Tom Gomez blocked beauty for $109 (and taking bids). That one is advertised with leather sweatband.
Here's his site:
http://panamas.biz/

Best of luck!

One of Bob's discount lids was my first Panama. Relatively decent Cuenca, but it had a fabric sweatband that took on a terrible stench in a short time. That was the hat that made me swear never to buy another fedora with a cloth sweat.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
You can always buy a PB hat and have him send it to Tom Gomez for blocking and sweatband ..Tom even has two different kinds of leather sweats....... or just order a hat with leather sweat from PB........I have done all of the above and am very happy with the results.

PS. Send your current hat to Tom, he can change the sweat in it , clean it, block it or whatever you want done with a Panama......

Hope any of this helps....

mattface

Practically Family
There is a Tom Gomez blocked beauty for $109 (and taking bids). That one is advertised with leather sweatband.

This is about as close to what I am looking for as I think I am likely to find, at least in my price range, so I was about to jump on it, but then I saw the please allow 21 days for manufacture. I need it sooner, so I emailed to clarify wether it is ready to ship or not.

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
You can always buy a PB hat and have him send it to Tom Gomez for blocking and sweatband ..Tom even has two different kinds of leather sweats....... or just order a hat with leather sweat from PB........I have done all of the above and am very happy with the results.

PS. Send your current hat to Tom, he can change the sweat in it , clean it, block it or whatever you want done with a Panama......

Hope any of this helps....

I can change a sweat myself I've done it on several felts and one vintage Stetson panama, but that particular hat I decided was not worth the trouble.

mattface

Practically Family
Sadly I won't be able to get that hat in time. I'm still searching for something that will fit the bill that is ready to ship, and would still really appreciate anyone who can point me to another nice one. If all else fails I may get that one and give it to him late.

mattface

Practically Family
Alright I've found a couple of nice options, and since it took a lot of digging to find them, I thought I would share them

Biltmore Casablanca for $120
Truman at Hats-Plus

I decided to go with the Biltmore; with free shipping from Village Hat shop, it's only just little more than I had planned on spending, and I suspect it is the better hat, and given this is a retirement present, I really would like to choose the better hat.

Last edited:

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fwiw

Alright I've found a couple of nice options, and since it took a lot of digging to find them, I thought I would share them

Biltmore Casablanca for $120
Truman at Hats-Plus

I'm still trying to decide between them. Both seem excellent values. The Biltmore is a little above the budget, but I suspect it is the better hat, and given this is a retirement present, I really would like to choose the better hat.

Both nice,I've oft admired the Truman myself.

I would still join the chorus & plead with you to please contact PB and see what he can do to work in your' time frame. You'll get twice (or better) the hat for the coin, IMO.
From someone who pays it forward, in my experience. On the square, a straight shooter.

Panamas.biz or on eBay. My .o2.

mattface

Practically Family
That Tom Gomez blocked hat was a really nice choice, but I really didn't want to hand him a picture of a really nice hat on the day of the end of year luncheon. Hopefully the Biltmore will get here on time.

Missouri Mason

Familiar Face
I'm with you -- what's up with all the cloth sweats?

I've never liked cloth sweats either, but I really don't mind it on my Panama. I've found it to be considerably cooler in hot weather. Having said that, there's no way I would ever buy a felt with a cloth sweat.

mattface

Practically Family
I've never liked cloth sweats either, but I really don't mind it on my Panama. I've found it to be considerably cooler in hot weather. Having said that, there's no way I would ever buy a felt with a cloth sweat.

Granted I sweat more than most people, but I find cloth sweats woefully inadequate in a Panama, and they also make the hat feel about 150% cheaper. Most people can get away with them I guess, but I want this to be something he'll wear and enjoy for years to come.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael