Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Classic Pocket Knives

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Buck Stockman. I've carried a knife every day (literally) since I was about 12 years old.
med_301.jpg

Zach R.

Practically Family
I've carried a single-bladed Shrade Old Timer pocketknife since I was around 12(in, what, 2000?:p ) when my mother got it for me for Christmas, "so I could have one just like my Grandfather," who always had(and still has) an Old Timer in his pocket.

Its not the best knife in the world, but it has its own charm. Plus, they don't make them anymore since Shrade went bankrupt last year.

When I need something a bit more heavy-duty, I break out the Buck 110. :cool:

Colonel

One of the Regulars
Zach R. said:
I've carried a single-bladed Shrade Old Timer pocketknife ...When I need something a bit more heavy-duty, I break out the Buck 110. :cool:
Zach,
I carried a Shrade Old Timer that was configured similar to the Buck Stockman for a number of years until I finally lost it. That was one of the easiest blades to take to a razor edge that I ever had. Unfortunately, it didn't take long to lose that edge. Overall though, it was one of my favorites. I'd have gotten another one if my parents hadn't given me the Buck as a gift. I've got a Shrade Old Timer lock blade also (very similar to your 110), but I don't really care for the big folders that need a sheath.

varga49

One of the Regulars
In 1978 I ordered a custom drop point knife from David Boye, similar to the one shown.
I know it's a fixed blad and not a pocket knife, but I've been carrying this knife with regulairty since!
It was fabricated from a used saw mill blade. Holds an very good edge, and survived a high speed motorcycle spill!

DB14aa.jpg

Baggers

Practically Family
Feraud said:
My conversation starter..
;)

Or "stopper," if necessary. :p

I'm currently carrying a Hubertus single blade pocket knife. I forget the model number, but it's the same one that most people agree was carried by Indiana Jones in Raiders. Nice simple retro looking blade. It replaced a Wenger military model (plain aluminum scales) that I've had since the late eighties. I've still got it, I just like the Hubertus more.

Beyond that, I've got a whole bunch of other knives kicking around the house, from a tiny Victorinox swiss army knife like the Baron's to a British Army golok. Then there are the bayonets for the rifles in my collection...

And if I could ever recover that numbered limited edition Al Mar SERE lockback with my initials engraved on it that got stolen from me in the the late eighties. Ah, well...

Cheers!

vespasian

One of the Regulars
Be wary in the UK of falling foul of the law on offensive weapons. Any, and I mean ANY knife with a locking mechanism is unlawful and the offence is arrestable. Other knives dependent upon their length are also illegal. There are defences to possession and common sense rules throughout, so for religious reasons and so forth you can carry certain knives, or for costume reasons. IE Sikhs can carry a dagger, A scotsman can wear a skian dubh tucked in his sock. Even someone dressed as a police officer going to a fancy dress party can carry a real truncheon. Fashion reasons would not get you away from the charge desk. Sorry to be a kill joy but I would hate to see people fall foul of this.

Tudor

Familiar Face
I have carried a Spyderco Native for years. (Before that it was a Buck lockback.) It has a 3?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ plain edge so I can sharpen it easily. The blade is made from CPM 440V steel and stays razor sharp as well as most anything, almost as good as the best carbon steel.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=20
I sharpen all my knives with an Edgepro sharpener and I have no trouble putting a razor edge on any quality steel blade.
http://edgeproinc.com/

lightningwaves

New in Town
Old Italian knives

Hi I'm new here and I'm posting to see if any of you collect or have stashed away and old Italian knives? I'm an avid collector and would gladly buy any and all of them. I'm looking for older ones from the 1950's and before. In any size, from 4 inches up to 13 inches.

I'm looking for one with names like Latama, Coricama, Edwin Jay, ROMO, Rosco, Mauro Mario, Astor, etc, etc, etc.

Please emial me here: orangboy@tampabay.rr.com

Thanks!!

skbellis

One of the Regulars
Mercator K55 Cat Knife

Scotrace,

The "Cat Knife" is a really great knife. The steel holds a razor sharp edge, and overall it is a very thin knife so it is pleasant to carry. You just have to make sure that you occasionally polish the blade and keep it oiled since it is not stainless. If you check the web you can find it cheaper than what Ostfront is selling it for.

Cheers,

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner