Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Great Classic Pocket Knives

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Robeson 3 blade whittler from the 40s. Carbon steel with the best edge holding capabilities of any blade I've ever seen.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
My primary E.D.C. is an older Case 6111 1/2L, and I alternate sometimes with a Case celluloid "Bowtie".

Occasionally, I take out an old horn scaled Italian 50's "picklock" to commemorate my juvenile delinquent years.[angel]

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Currently, a 'Fight'n'Rooster' swing-guard lock-back.
Sometimes a 3" Opinel but the Rooster is a sweet and pretty little knife-

Knife.jpg

Knife2.jpg

B
T

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Swiss classic with scissors, knife and nail file. Also toothpick and tweezers. The link shows $17, but I can buy them at a sporting goods store for $12. Nice knife, and if you lose it or it gets picked up in an airport, you can afford to replace it. Small and thin enough to fit a pants pocket.

JD Boswell

New in Town
Boy Scout Pocket Knife. Have carried one since I was a Scout. Now with a small phillips head screw driver. Great for fixing about anything. Back in the day when you could fly with a pocket knife, I fixed a broken drink cart on a plane, drank for free throughout the flight, :beer: chatted up the flight attendant, got her phone number and dated her for a while. ;)

Like the Scouts say:

Be Prepared!

boyscoutknife2.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've carried a Benchmade 710S for nearly 5 years now. Probably the last pocketknife I'll ever buy.

BM710S.jpg

I broke the Axis lock spring somehow...sent it in for replacement under warrantee, and EVERYTHING on the knife except the blade and frame was replaced! Scales, bolts, clip, the works! Even the blade was sharpened...all for FREE. You can't put a price on customer service like that.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
I carry a pretty simple, German-made knife that I've had for years and years. It does everything that I need it to do. I used to carry one of the Leatherman pocket multi-tools when they first came out, but decided it was a little too much. I figure that for any project that requires that many implements, I would rather use the proper tools.

knife2.jpg

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Cold Steel Large Clip Point Voyager Folder...

...now that's a knife...

I like to sharpen my own knives and have found that a serrated blade is not easily sharpened by hand. I just usually use a Butcher's Steel. no stones or oil. Sometimes I will use one of those Kitchen Knife sharpeners...you know, the ones that you draw the blade across. Then I will use the steel to take the burr off and straighten up the edge. I stopped using stones and oil a long time ago...to messy. I will also sometimes use a diamond steel to put a rough feild edge on my K Bar when I'm working outside.

indyjim

Familiar Face
Currently, one of two Kershaw Ken Onion assisted openers, or, my Becker Necker. I own and have carried, through the years, any number of knives from Case, Buck, Gerber and many others. I've had a knife in my pocket since I was 12 years old! I'm with you Bob! I don't like to sharpen knives, so I don't let 'em get dull. A frequent touch up with a steel is all you need.

Depends on what is up.
For the office in my briefcase I carry a Leatherman Super, the one with locking implements and a Mini Mag light.
I also have a Leatherman Micro type thingy that has scissors.
If the paranoia level goes up I toss a 5" Cold Steel folder, the Gunsite model with Tanto point into the briefcase.
And kicking around in my camping stuff is a Victorianox Swiss Army knife.
For the big stuff when camping I usually carry a Buck M9 baynet.
Or my SOF model Ek fighting knife.
It took me a while to figure out where the bottle opener is on the M9.
Hint where the blade and the guard meet.
Somewheres I lost a Buck folder.
I still want an EK Warrior and a WWII model called the Pig Sticker from EK, too bad EK went bye bye and the prices continue to climb.

shamus

Suspended
Dan,

I almost bought an applegate, but never got to actually hold one in my hand. I went instead with the Microtech Socom Elite, in black with serated blade (not in pic) Wow what a knife. I only carry it sometimes as it's a big knife. Sorry for the gimic picture... it's all I could find on the net. Turns out they don't sell it anymore.

socom.jpg

I do always carry a little lockback. Last 10 years it's been a little buck. But I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 8 or so. Before that a little cheapo. In jr.high I got the Gerber Beltbuckle knife. It was cool, but everyonce in a while it would open up and there would be this chrome blade on my waist. I stopped wearing that. But do love the earlier gerber. I traded a NB2 parka for a Gerber Mark I that I still have and love. I wish I had the mark II (vietnam version)

I occationally carry my A.G. Russell Sting. Do I love that knife. I waited about 15 years to find one. Then one day on ebay I got a great deal on one! In black of course.

enough about my knife collection...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy