Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grindhouse

Shearer

Practically Family
When I saw the trailer for this, I think I was the only one in the theatre who wasn't groaning :eek: Just from the trailer I saw, Tarantino's looked less violent than Rodriguez's but who can tell.

I didn't like Sin City much, but Once Upon a Time in Mexico is a guilty pleasure.

Have I just revealed my abhorrent movie taste? :eek:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This film has caused quite a bit of grumbling among projectionists -- it's intentionally printed to look like it's been dragged thru the distribution chain for months, complete with dirt, grime, scratches, bad splices, sloppy cue marks, and even a "missing reel." Tarantino might think he's being all hip and ironic here, but those of us who work in booths are absolutely dreading the complaints from the audience, and hot-shot art punks trying to impress their dates by hollering rude know-it-all comments upstairs.

Shearer

Practically Family
Oof, I feel for you Lizzie. Hopefully, those that don't know it's intentional in the first place won't be going to see it. As for the hipsters.... maybe they'll be too busy with the heavy petting to mouth off :D

I didn't know about the "missing reel." I was amused to see the scratches and splices, but I hope it doesn't get to the point where it's distracting. It wouldn't be the first time Tarantino's hubris got in way.

Shearer

Practically Family
:eek:fftopic: Apparently Quentin's doing a film called Inglorious Bastards that seems like a Dirty Dozen takeoff. A group of WWII soldiers given a suicide mission for the Allies.

With Michael Madsen and Tim Roth, who are two of my faves.

Doh!

One Too Many
If you're fortunate enough to be in Los Angeles in the next couple of months, the New Beverly Cinema is featuring double bills of REAL grindhouse fare. I definitely want to catch some of these on the big screen.

http://www.newbevcinema.com/

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doh! said:
If you're fortunate enough to be in Los Angeles in the next couple of months, the New Beverly Cinema is featuring double bills of REAL grindhouse fare. I definitely want to catch some of these on the big screen.

Thanks for the tip! I was just down thataway this past Friday to see Rodney on the Roq get his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, and saw him later at Canter's Deli. Canter's, by the way, does have hat racks.

Feraud

Bartender
Shearer said:
:eek:fftopic: Apparently Quentin's doing a film called Inglorious Bastards that seems like a Dirty Dozen takeoff. A group of WWII soldiers given a suicide mission for the Allies.

With Michael Madsen and Tim Roth, who are two of my faves.
Wasn't that rumor killed off years ago?
Tarantino did enough of a "homage"(ripoff) with the Kill Bill films and I will not pay a red cent to see him do a Dirty Dozen ripoff. I think Tarantino hit his apex with Jackie Brown and has been making inconsequential films since then.
Inglorious Bastards will be more of the same if it is made.

Regarding Grindhouse, I have to admit I had a big smile on my face while seeing the trailer!
It is grindhouse style films and supposed to be low budget and so bad it is good. :)
I am hoping all the scratches and blips are for the trailer only. It was a bit distracting.

Shearer

Practically Family
Feraud said:
Wasn't that rumor killed off years ago?
Tarantino did enough of a "homage"(ripoff) with the Kill Bill films and I will not pay a red cent to see him do a Dirty Dozen ripoff. I think Tarantino hit his apex with Jackie Brown and has been making inconsequential films since then.
Inglorious Bastards will be more of the same if it is made.

I dunno. I heard about this a few years ago and then didn't notice when it fell off the IMDb list under his name. But now I noticed that it's back on under "announced" films, and a couple others that were on the list are off. Looks like he's shuffling his films around and doesn't know what's going on. If he does indeed try to remake The Dirty Dozen, well... that's just that hubris I was talking about :rolleyes:

Boo-yah! I agree about Jackie Brown. That movie's getting to be like The Shawshank Redemption with me. If I'm channel surfing, I'll always stop to watch it.

Feraud

Bartender
Shearer said:
If he does indeed try to remake The Dirty Dozen, well... that's just that hubris I was talking about :rolleyes:
I think his hubris was obvious when he stretched Kill Bill into two movies, a.k.a. "volumes". It could easily have wrapped in 90-120 minutes. There was too much filler in those pics.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
I just saw the trailer for this, I have to admit it cracked me up quite a bit...
I picture those guys sitting in a bar, in Tijuana, after several rounds, and several tequila shots, discussing what would be completely crazy...a one legged girl with a machine gun prosthetic.

Lancealot

Practically Family
Feraud said:
I think his hubris was obvious when he stretched Kill Bill into two movies, a.k.a. "volumes". It could easily have wrapped in 90-120 minutes. There was too much filler in those pics.

If I remember right I believe he wanted to do it has one film but the studio made him cut it into two.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doh! said:

I like these old real movies. When I was a child and read everything including all the movie ads, I wanted to be grown-up so I could see movies like Toolbox Murders, and The Car. Ha ha, now I am and I can and do, but without a masher sitting next to me.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:

Well actually, I think the Studio asked him to do that rather than banging out a +3 hour film. And it was decided late into the filming.

Incidentally, he's also said that after formulating the WWIIscript , he decided that he really didnt want to spend the next 2 years in the trenches emersed in filming a blood&guts warfilm. So he got together w/ Uma & dashed off the KillBill script.

Doh!

One Too Many
I'm glad Kill Bill was in 2 parts: I thoroughly enjoyed the first one but was bored by the second. It almost seemed like different genres and made by different directors.

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I can't wait for this film. It is my most anticipated movie of the year. Rodriguez is one of my favorites. I like Tarantino, too. Even though I got to meet Tarantino once, Rodriguez is if definitely one of my top directors. Grindhouse looks so bad ass and just an awesome throw back, balls to the walls movie. I'll be there at midnight, opening night. And I can't wait to see the trailers between!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner