Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Grumman Goose - Need drawing

Flieger

Practically Family
This might not be a 100% "WWII"-topic but I take my chances in here since it's the place where I know some of the aviation buffs hang out. :)

Request: Does anyone here happen to have a hi rez-scan of a Grumman Goose drawing to share, or know where I might be able to dig one up?

I've been asked to paint a colour profile and need it for reference purposes.

/F

Mike K.

One Too Many
Something like this?
G-21A.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
I just did a Google image search for Grumman Goose and found that one easily, but that's the maximum image size. What about using Photoshop to enlarge?

Flieger

Practically Family
Sorry but Photoshop enlargement not only makes the drawing bigger, it also makes all the lines fatter... turning the drawing useless to my purposes. :(

Thanks anyhow.

/F

Naphtali

Practically Family
There are/were?? (PhotoShop 6.x for Macintosh) several third-party unsharpen masks, when used in 1-bit mode, that will not significantly enlarge line size during a resize of image.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I have a Photoshop plug-in that enlarges files pretty well. Point me in the direction of the largest version you can find, tell me how big you want it and we can see how it works. It works great for increasing resolution, but it won't improve a bad scan (garbage in...garbage out).

Flieger

Practically Family
Thanks guys but this is not just a matter of size. I need the detail only obtained with a high resolution scan. [huh]

Anyhow, I just got a custom made drawing from a friend so I'm set.

Cheers
/F

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I just read in AvWeb that the Goose is likely going back into production, believe it or not! Here's the article:
(From AvWeb AvFlash Letter January 17, 2008)
One of the most iconic amphibs ever produced may be back in production by the end of the year. According to The Greensboro/Winston-Salem Business Journal, a Gibsonville, N.C., company, Antilles Seaplanes, is hoping to have FAA approval to begin production of the twin-engine flying boat by the end of June. Company co-founder V.I. Manuel told the Business Journal there's major interest in the revival of the Goose, with inquiries (but no firm orders) coming from Malaysia to Alaska. Manuel said vintage Gooses are much sought after and in short supply. The new Goose will look like the old one but will benefit from 60 years of technological advancement.
Purists can order their Goose with 450-hp Pratt and Whitney R-95 radials, but if they really want it on the step in a hurry, a pair of PT-6s with 680 shp can also be mounted. The new aircraft makes use of carbon fiber for enhanced corrosion resistance and, of course, there's a full array of electronics on board (no glass panels, though). The Web site does not include pricing information.
http://www.antillesseaplanes.com/index.htm

Flieger

Practically Family
That warms my heart. :eusa_clap

I've just spent a couple of days looking at photos from Catalina and the golden age of small-airline passenger flights there. Quite a number of Gooses where used. A company called Avalon Air Transport had, what was later going to be known as, "Cutters Goose" in their stable.

/F

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Kilroy, thanks for that link! That is an awesome story, and I really hope they succeed. They used to fly the Goose from LA to Catalina Island, but stopped sometime back in the 1970s. I wonder if that route could be revitalized...hmmm....

Copper

One of the Regulars
That warms my heart as well - I have had a very soft spot for the Goose since I first saw 'Tales of the Gold Monkey' as a kid.

If they do get them into production again, I have yet another task to add to my lottery win to-do list.

Make mine white with red and black please and to heck with the PT-6. I want the round engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass