Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Guernsey jumper

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
GOOD MORNING, Have a look on the fishermens sweaters thread, there is a guy who ordered a couple of ganseys from Peter at SWC, one of which is a roll neck, that looks very good. I don't think I have seen a roll neck gansey/Guernsey before. Think I may be doing another order soon!. I do have a navy blue tradtional wool Guernsey from Guernsey Woollens, had it for years, still looks good. Rgds.
My traditional bluue Guernsey is around 15 years old (I fear I grew too big for the previous one). It still serves me excellently.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
My traditional blue Guernsey is around 15 years old (I fear I grew too big for the previous one). It still serves me excellently.

Yes, these proper Guernseys can last a life time, I think I have had mine for about 15 or 18 years! I was in a shop in Guernsey with a friend who was buying one and the shop mananager told him how long lsting and hardwearing they are, I had mine on yesterday. The Woolly pullys and sub mariners also are very hard wearing and long lasting too, I guess they need to be considering the use they are expected to be put to. Some of the ones I have also go back many years, these older ones and the Guernseys still look good after all this time. Rgds.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Yes, these proper Guernseys can last a life time, I think I have had mine for about 15 or 18 years! I was in a shop in Guernsey with a friend who was buying one and the shop mananager told him how long lsting and hardwearing they are, I had mine on yesterday. The Woolly pullys and sub mariners also are very hard wearing and long lasting too, I guess they need to be considering the use they are expected to be put to. Some of the ones I have also go back many years, these older ones and the Guernseys still look good after all this time. Rgds.

Couldn't agree more. There is also something very appealing about the smell and texture of an old sweater.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I got mine in Scotland in the 1980s. Label says "Le Tricoteur, made in the British Channel Islands" and is navy. Probably oiled wool - smells a bit like lanolin. Long been my favorite sweater - very tightly knit, symmetrical (so you can wear it either way around and spread out the wear), much warmer than its thickness would indicate, and fairly heavy. Fits moderately snugly, which probably contributes to the insulating qualities, and is very comfortable.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
North-east Fishermans'Ganseys

I have taken up knitting very late in life (being taught by my daughter, which is nice) and the traditional styles of fishermans' ganseys have become an interest. I mean the patterns that were worn in the little fishing villages of Northumberland and Yorkshire in the 19th and early 20th Centuries and were handed down within families. With some practice you can easily identify from an old photograph which village a fisherman or lifeboatman comes from by his gansey. I have also started collecting vintage knitting patterns and period photographs of ganseys in use.

There are still a few sources of the proper wool and the technique (on two-ended needles) isn't too difficult, although it is taking me forever to complete my first try (a Staithes pattern in oiled and boiled 5-ply). The next one (a Seahouses pattern probably) will be better!

Does anyone else share this interest, and would it be worth starting a separate thread with sourcing, pattern exchange and knitting tips?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have taken up knitting very late in life (being taught by my daughter, which is nice) and the traditional styles of fishermans' ganseys have become an interest. I mean the patterns that were worn in the little fishing villages of Northumberland and Yorkshire in the 19th and early 20th Centuries and were handed down within families. With some practice you can easily identify from an old photograph which village a fisherman or lifeboatman comes from by his gansey. I have also started collecting vintage knitting patterns and period photographs of ganseys in use.

There are still a few sources of the proper wool and the technique (on two-ended needles) isn't too difficult, although it is taking me forever to complete my first try (a Staithes pattern in oiled and boiled 5-ply). The next one (a Seahouses pattern probably) will be better!

Does anyone else share this interest, and would it be worth starting a separate thread with sourcing, pattern exchange and knitting tips?

Hallo, you may alreadyknow this, but when I have been visiting Whitby, there is, in the Old Town, the same side as the abbey, an old church hall where there is an exhibition of these North East clothing item, plus I think you can buy them of get the items for knitting too. Rgds.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yes, thanks - I visited just to see the exhibition last year. Is it still there, do you know?

I think the ganseys for sale are by Flamborough Manor. I buy my wool from them. They also sell the book by Gladys Thompson:
Thompson, Gladys (1979) Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys & Arans: Fishermen's Sweaters (sic!) from the British Isles, Dover Publications, New York. An earlier (1955) UK published version (without reference to 'sweaters'!) can be found in second hand bookshops.

Also, there is (as I'm sure Stevieboy1 knows) the excellent book
Pearson, Michael, 1984, Traditional Knitting: Aran, Fair Isle and Fisher Ganseys Collins, London.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Yes, thanks - I visited just to see the exhibition last year. Is it still there, do you know?

I think the ganseys for sale are by Flamborough Manor. I buy my wool from them. They also sell the book by Gladys Thompson:
Thompson, Gladys (1979) Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys & Arans: Fishermen's Sweaters (sic!) from the British Isles, Dover Publications, New York. An earlier (1955) UK published version (without reference to 'sweaters'!) can be found in second hand bookshops.

Also, there is (as I'm sure Stevieboy1 knows) the excellent book
Pearson, Michael, 1984, Traditional Knitting: Aran, Fair Isle and Fisher Ganseys Collins, London.

Yes I would think the exhibition is still there, I have been visiting North Yorkshire & Whitby over the years since the mid 1990s and it has always been open. I think it is well established now. Rgds.

Rayson

New in Town
If anybody can tell me how itchy or soft and comfortable they find their Guernsey, particularly if it's from Guernsey Woollens or the Guernsey Knitwear Company, please do.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
If anybody can tell me how itchy or soft and comfortable they find their Guernsey, particularly if it's from Guernsey Woollens or the Guernsey Knitwear Company, please do.

Good afternoon,

I have had mine from Guernsey Woollens for a long time, it is a heavy garment, which is as it should be and very warm, I don't think it's at all scratchy either. I find it very comfortable indeed. Rgds.

Rayson

New in Town
I have had mine from Guernsey Woollens for a long time, it is a heavy garment, which is as it should be and very warm, I don't think it's at all scratchy either. I find it very comfortable indeed.

Hey, thanks for this (and your response to my shawl post, which I've just noticed). Last question: can you get away with a short-sleeve shirt underneath?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hey, thanks for this (and your response to my shawl post, which I've just noticed). Last question: can you get away with a short-sleeve shirt underneath?

Yes, I often wear either a short sleeve shirt or short sleeve tee shirts under my Guernsey and other pullovers with no problems at all. Rgds.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Thanks - I wasn't sure of it was a permanent exhibition or not.

I walked Hadrian's Wall last year and visited the exhibition in Whitby after a fellow walker told be about it. I'm planning to do Wainwright's coast to coast walk this summer and will try to visit the exhibition again. I'd like to visit some of the villages where ganseys used to be knitted - maybe to see if any relatives of the knitters mentioned in Michael Pearson's and Gladys Thompson's books are still extant.

I would like to find an alternative source of wool - the wool I am using at the moment is 5-ply but isn't as worsted as that on the vintage examples I have seen. I guess it's a concession tothe modern liking for comfort over durability (as with tweed and denim) but I would like the 'real stuff' if I can find it.

Yes I would think the exhibition is still there, I have been visiting North Yorkshire & Whitby over the years since the mid 1990s and it has always been open. I think it is well established now. Rgds.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Rayson, mine isn't from the above sources - it's a machine knit version from the Channel Islands. But the wool quality is very good, very long strands, very tightly woven and not the slightest bit itchy - to me anyway. Very comfortable with enough stretch for any activity.

One thing that might bother you - did with me slightly but I got used to it - with the slit neckhole version, symmetrical back to front design, it comes pretty high up on the neck in front. If you have the right shirt on, no worries. If your shirt neck gaps or slides down a bit, the wool contacts your neck and can be very mildly bothersome. Not itchy exactly, just rubs there. So you keep pulling your shirt front up. If you're wearing a mock turtleneck shirt underneath, absolutely no concern. If you have a button-down shirt, works better too - added stiffness in the collar.

Not sure I'm being clear, but in any case not something that deterred me from wearing it!

- Bill

Rayson

New in Town
Rayson, mine isn't from the above sources - it's a machine knit version from the Channel Islands. But the wool quality is very good, very long strands, very tightly woven and not the slightest bit itchy - to me anyway. Very comfortable with enough stretch for any activity.

One thing that might bother you - did with me slightly but I got used to it - with the slit neckhole version, symmetrical back to front design, it comes pretty high up on the neck in front. If you have the right shirt on, no worries. If your shirt neck gaps or slides down a bit, the wool contacts your neck and can be very mildly bothersome. Not itchy exactly, just rubs there. So you keep pulling your shirt front up. If you're wearing a mock turtleneck shirt underneath, absolutely no concern. If you have a button-down shirt, works better too - added stiffness in the collar.

Not sure I'm being clear, but in any case not something that deterred me from wearing it!

- Bill

Thanks for the info. I thought about a shetland sweater first. Most people seem to find those scratchy, though, and a guernsey can look even better. I've googled a bit about whether guernseys are itchy and opinion seems mixed. My skin can be sensitive but not extremely so. I think I'll just man up a little, trust the advice here and take the plunge!

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Gansey exhibition

Steve,

My informant had the wrong town - the exhibition is at Cromer Museum. Here is a link: http://www.maritimeheritageeast.org.uk/exhibitions/ganseys
It certainly looks worth visiting. Look at the fantastic photos! Note the 'muffler' worn at the neck in one case.

I think I detect a Sheringham pattern and a Yarmouth pattern, but I'm not sure about the third - is that Cromer, I wonder? The construction details are interesting - note the reference to a 'false seam' knitted in purl stitch at the sides, although the gansey is knitted continuously on 5 needles. Interesting!

I have such a lot to learn!

Hallo, no i don't know about that, I just googled Gt Yarmouth Tourist Info centre, you could call them on 01493 846346, as they may be able to help or try website www.visitnorfolk.co.uk

Gd luck, Steve

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
I've just recently (thanks to the Fedora Lounge) become acquainted with Guernseys. I ordered a couple from a company called "Original Blues." Living in a semi tropical area, Southern California, I ordered the cotton version. I'm very pleased with it. I like the indigo dyed rope yarn they use. I had to order two because the website was a wee bit confusing. I thought I had ordered the non-pre-faded version, but eventually they let me in on the secret, you have to call or email to request it. Even so, the faded one is not bad, although like most indigo/denim fans, I prefer to fade my own. The sizing is a little odd, I'm a 42" and the size that fits is the "small." The Guernseyians must be a mighty race of people! http://www.originalblues.co.uk/1462-denim-cotton-guernsey-sweater-247-p.asp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto