Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree completely Sloan. The basic jeans make sense to have available as they seem to sell steadily but without anything more exciting for the past customers they'll start losing peoples attention. You can see that the black2's and the American classics are selling very slowly compared to the more exciting jeans they've had in the past. The shirts also don't appear to be selling as well as the jeans have even though they've dedicated a lot of their sales real estate to them.

I'm waiting with some credit from referrals until they get something more exciting and then I'll be in for it. I'd really like to see a heavy denim with a colored weft or something like the jade with it's unique coloring.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I agree completely Sloan. The basic jeans make sense to have available as they seem to sell steadily but without anything more exciting for the past customers they'll start losing peoples attention. You can see that the black2's and the American classics are selling very slowly compared to the more exciting jeans they've had in the past. The shirts also don't appear to be selling as well as the jeans have even though they've dedicated a lot of their sales real estate to them.

I'm waiting with some credit from referrals until they get something more exciting and then I'll be in for it. I'd really like to see a heavy denim with a colored weft or something like the jade with it's unique coloring.

Those are the exact two I'm interested in as well. Here's hoping!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Just curious: did anyone receive the Indigo/Indigo? How do you like them?

I got mine, but I have to pay some VAT-money to get them out so I´ll do it Thursday the earliest.

Btw I had a conversation with one of the Gustin founders about replacing my shirt and somewhere he said "we really wanna help" and I replied that if they really wanna help they should look into selling the goods without VAT. Its legal, we love it and all is good...only downside for them is paperwork. He answered that he was really gonna look into this.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I like alot of their shirts and would be happy to have almost all of them to casual work at the office. But with VAT they are just too expensive. I have one on order and will probably snag one now and then when I like it, but its not possible to build up a collection with the total price being almost exactly double of what they go for.

casechopper

Well... the super heavies I posted a few days ago are currently lost. I took them to my local dry cleaners to get them hemmed and it appears they've lost them. If they don't turn up in the next day or two they've offered to pay the value of the pants. Hopefully they turn up :(

mattface

Practically Family
Well... the super heavies I posted a few days ago are currently lost. I took them to my local dry cleaners to get them hemmed and it appears they've lost them. If they don't turn up in the next day or two they've offered to pay the value of the pants. Hopefully they turn up :(

Man! THat is a super bummer. I know given how excited I get about this stuff, I'd be crying. I'd call this a good excuse to invest in a sewing machine!

winterland1

Practically Family

Worse comes to worse you have some free hemming for a while. I would say they owe you for the hassle if they lost them. Hopefully you had some credit from the referral program. They can pay full price too. Ha!

mattface

Practically Family

New vintage leather from The Getup Vintage in Montpelier! by mattface, on Flickr

I posted these photos over in the thread about the jacket, but I'm posting them here as well, because they feature my new Heavy Americans, as well as the Organic Japanese Selvage Chambray shirt, and the Classic Belt. Jeans are breaking in great. The Heavy Americans were quite stiff and snug for the first couple of days, took a little longer to stretch than the lighter weight classics. With almost a week on them they're still quite stiff, but coming along to where I want them fit wise. They really want a triple cuff at this point, but they were too stiff at first, so I was wearing them with a 2" double cuff. Just this morning I was able to prise them into a reasonable looking 1.25" triple cuff. Experience tells me I'll get enough shrink from the first wash to go with a less chunky double cuff.

winterland1

Practically Family
Mattface are your Heavy Americans pictured straight or slim fit?
You mentioned shrinkage. I didn't see much mention of shrinkage on Gustins message board. If anything just that the waist will stretch an inch. How did you wash them and how much shrinkage was there? Was it length and waist?
The pictures look great. You are a walking Gustin billboard.

Last edited:

mattface

Practically Family
Mattface are your Heavy Americans pictured straight or slim fit?
You mentioned shrinkage. I didn't see much mention of shrinkage on Gustins message board. If anything just that the waist will stretch an inch. How did you wash them and how much shrinkage was there? Was it length and waist?
The pictures look great. You are a walking Gustin billboard.

Mine are 33 straight fit. I haven't washed the Heavy Americans yet, but I don't expect much shrinkage, maybe an inch in length, and not much to speak of in the waist when I do. That was my experience with my classics anyway, and I think it is pretty standard for sanforized raw denim.

casechopper

The drycleaner found my jeans! I'm wearing them now.

Very soft flexible fabric. Definitely heavier than the 12 oz. Darks but not as heavy as I was expecting. Probably the lower level of starch makes them feel lighter and less restrictive. I actually like the softness. Very heavily starched jeans can get great fades but will wear through at the crease lines and the crotch if you're not careful. With these softer jeans they should last a very long time.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I got my indigo/indigo yesterday.

They are crazy stiff. This is the stiffest jeans I have ever had.
I was gonna hem them myself but have now serious doubt that i can do it.

The construction is good on the verge to great. Why its not flat out great is because there were some wierd stitching in the bottom fly area, but thats also it. The rest of the seams are straight, hard and solid. I dont know if my jeans are the best they can do, the worst, or a middle ground since this is my first pair. I however cannot see how anyone should need better then this, they are absolutely good enough. But for seam-instpecting nerds like myself, they arent perfect (in one area).

The color:
There is no real need to take a photo, because they will look black. In every light they look black, I cannot see anything hinting towards any indigo anywhere. However if compared side to side against something that is truly black, you see that they arent black. They arent so blue that they are black, thats not it, they are more....dark dark grey. But for all purposes, and to all others that are viewing the jeans - they are black.

There is a coating on them. Its not the same coating as on the Nudie black-coated, but its similar. I like coating on dark jeans since they otherwise destroy all it touches (couch, shirt, socks, shoes) and after some washes (5?) they start to fade anyway. I will wear them and see how they progress.

casechopper

Photos of the Super heavies hemmed and being worn.
IMG_8947.JPG

IMG_8950.JPG

IMG_8955.JPG

IMG_8956.JPG

IMG_8959.JPG

IMG_8958.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8947.JPG
    IMG_8947.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 283

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I managed to hem mine on my Singer woho.

I like mine long outside with shoes, but I hate to step on them inside when I have no shoes on. And since I have 2 kids there is always stuff on the floor even tho I try to keep it clean and it all sticks to the jeans if they go under your foot.

So I make them the exact length that they are touching the floor, but they dont slip under the foot, this is also a good length for me with shoes and I have a little to go on when washing. Although my experience with sanforized denim is that if you wash cold they wont shrink at all.

I also forgot two important points:

Buttons and rivets:
The rivets a re nice and look ok, but you cannot say if they are good or not until they pop, or stay put.
I like the buttons alot, the lower ones are smaller, and they exend abit so they are easy to open and close (well i imagine they would be if you have less stiff jeans). They are also not sharp at the edges but a little thick wich is cool.
The holes are also positioned perfect for me, since the fly stay closed even if you wear them tight. The IronHerts look like the fly is open and that is not cool. (this is because the holes are to close to the edge at the same time as the flap doesnt cover enough)

Pockets: The pockets are too tight, even tighter then the IronHearts and this is madness to me. I cant put down my keys with one hand, I have to use 2 hands....why?
The fabric in the pockets are also very much to thin. I cant iagine it holding for very long especially when the pockets are too tight since this will stress the fabric.

The cut fits me personally very good. The butt doesnt look long like in the ironhearts and the silouette is nice. They are also very comfortable. Hovever they arent as slim as I would have thought and the rise is also kinda high on these slims so I fear how my straights will be.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Make sure you post a review when your straights arrive, Griff. I'm holding out for the Jades or a pair of Heavies, and while I love my slims - they're an ideal fit for me - I'm havering over whether to go for another or take the straights.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Just for reference, I have cold washed both my Heavy Americans and my Super Heavies with little noticeable shrinkage. Actually, they were just a little snug after washing but stretched right back out with wearing. The biggest change I noticed was the inseam length on the Super Heavies. I think they lost close to two inches...Enough at least that I am not going to hem them. The difference I think is that I ran them through the dryer on medium heat while they were still partially damp. I am very pleased with both of these jeans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy