Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The jeans in the pictures that I put up earlier are actually hemmed about 3-4" shorter than I requested them to be (I'm not going back to this drycleaner again). I'll have to be careful to avoid shrinking these as they're perfect right now uncuffed. I'd wanted to have a bit of cuff and extra fabric to account for shrinkage.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Make sure you post a review when your straights arrive, Griff. I'm holding out for the Jades or a pair of Heavies, and while I love my slims - they're an ideal fit for me - I'm havering over whether to go for another or take the straights.

I saw on the Gustin site people discussing the color of the Jade. I need to see pics before I know what they really are. Im waiting for the naturals :D

I will surely post my impressions on the straights when they arrive, but It might take time since they arent even shiped yet.

mattface

Practically Family
I'm pretty intrigued by The 1960 I can't really tell much from the pictures, looks pretty much like your basic denim, but I wonder if anyone here can comment on what an unsinged denim would look and feel like. I think it might be pretty unusual, and maybe have more classic look and feel. I'm a little on the fence about this one, but think I may jump on it.
1a.74.jpg

here's my referral link again for any new backers who might want a $20 discount. https://www.weargustin.com/invite_from/232

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
To me, anything below 14oz is out. Unless Its a special color.

These looks good though, if you need a "normal" color from one of the epic mills then they look great. I would think they wont look very different from normal jeans apart from a little more fuzzy that you can see on this pic:
1c.74_unsinged.jpg

They might have more of a "cuddly" feel to them. :)

Anyways, its not for me, but it sure looks like a classic piece.

mattface

Practically Family
To me, anything below 14oz is out. Unless Its a special color.

These looks good though, if you need a "normal" color from one of the epic mills then they look great. I would think they wont look very different from normal jeans apart from a little more fuzzy that you can see on this pic:
1c.74_unsinged.jpg

They might have more of a "cuddly" feel to them. :)

Anyways, its not for me, but it sure looks like a classic piece.

I really liked the look and feel of the Organic that had which was very fuzzy, but also very bright blue. I don't know if they'll ever get more of that one, but I sure wish they would.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I've never owned "proper" jeans prior to ordering 2 pair from these guys...so if I understand in correctly, I just wear em and wear em, and don't wash them for as long as possible? Is this right? Sorry for the rookie questions and thread high jack...

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
The more you wear them before first wash, the more contrasting fades you will get. This is because the wrinkles are in the same place making wear on the exact same places. After wash, the creases are "reset" and might appear in new places making you have to start the wear all over again. Also, it seems like after the first wash there is less color and this in some way makes it take longer also.

I just try not to get food or dirt on them and when they start to smell you wash them. Wipe off dirt and sand and stuff with a damp cloth regurlarly until first wash.

When washing, wash cold, inside out, no softener, preferably a gentle detergent.

However this is only if you want contrasting fades like this:
4aae51a534b27cbfc5b560f87281b545.jpg

If you dont care about that, just wear and wash like normal however you like :D

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Griff. Yep, I'm keen on some personalised wrinkles... Is it then a case of the more you wash, the more they will fade? I've bought the indigo, hoping they would end up with decent "jean patina"(?) and thought the darker to start, the better.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I saw on the Gustin site people discussing the color of the Jade. I need to see pics before I know what they really are. Im waiting for the naturals :D

I will surely post my impressions on the straights when they arrive, but It might take time since they arent even shiped yet.

Yes, people are saying that the Jade are a bit more blue than they expected, so I'm keeping my eye on the site. They're still a bit loose on hitting their delivery dates though, which I think frustrates and discourages people.

mattface

Practically Family
Thanks Griff. Yep, I'm keen on some personalised wrinkles... Is it then a case of the more you wash, the more they will fade? I've bought the indigo, hoping they would end up with decent "jean patina"(?) and thought the darker to start, the better.

While some denim heads get quite extreme, not washing for a year or more in quest of high contrast fades, there is also the argument that washing too infrequently can lead to premature wear, especialy crotch blowout, because you are grinfing dirt into the fibers. Also smell can become an issue.

I want my jeans to last me a long time, and will darn and patch them to keep them going. I do think washing too frequently can add to premature wear as well, so my approach is to just wash them when they are dirty. That tends to be on average about once a month, but if they get muddy, or covered in road grit after riding in the rain I will wash them, even if it's only been a few days since the last wash.

My goal with regards to fading is not necessarily to get high contrast fades, but to get natural fades that reflect how I live my life, and taking extraordinary measures with laundry is not how I live my life. I will spot them if I get a spill, and brush them with a clothes brush to get the dust and grit off, and if I think that's not cutting it I will throw them in the washing machine inside out, hang to dry, and not lose any sleep over it.

That's my way. At the other extreme, some people will wash after every wear. They will probably get more even fading, and also probably quicker fading, but it won't really hurt the jeans. These are at least as durable as your run of the mill jeans, if not more. They were designed to take a beating. You can wash them as frequently as you like. It will effect the fade patterns, but the whole idea of fading raw denim is that it is supposed to be individual. So do it however you want, and the resulting fade will be your own.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Thanks Griff. Yep, I'm keen on some personalised wrinkles... Is it then a case of the more you wash, the more they will fade?

Yes after first long wear, mine didnt have very pronounced fades, but after 3-4 washes they were pretty good. (the second to fourth wash were maybe some months apart)

I've bought the indigo, hoping they would end up with decent "jean patina"(?) and thought the darker to start, the better.

I hope you dont mean "indigo/indigo" as the ones I just got? They arent like normal jeans and will not fade as such. Its still unclear how they will fade but I bet they will first just develop shine (due to the coating). I have the last bit leftover from the hemming, I could wash that and see what happens.

winterland1

Practically Family
I've never owned "proper" jeans prior to ordering 2 pair from these guys...so if I understand in correctly, I just wear em and wear em, and don't wash them for as long as possible? Is this right? Sorry for the rookie questions and thread high jack...

One washing practice is to just put cool or warm water, if you want more shrinkage, in the tub with some woolite dark. Let sit for a half hour while agitating 2 or 3 times throughout. Rinse with some cool water and use a towel to get most of the water out and then just let them hang somewhere and dry overnight. They will drip. I have done this with my Levis 501 shrink to fit and also Levis 501 selvedge.
The shrink to to fit I actually wore them while still wet after letting them dry for a bit until they dried. This is a 501 STF practice. They fit me great. Wasn't uncomfortable at all.
Not putting in the washer or dryer keeps them looking new longer and also keeps the creases.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I also wore my STF wet, by the book. But....mine are both STF and selvedge. Arent yours?

I like them because its a classic pattern and an icon of sorts (not how they are done nowdays, but the idea) but they are very wierd, wide hems and legs and get the biggest knees ever, yet they are so tight in the waist hehe. But after waist stretch they are comfy, and I dig the deep pockets, almost feels like a black hole compared to gustins :D

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
These are my super heavy Gustins in the straight cut, which is definitely on the slim side, but it works for me. The fabric has a pretty pronounced reppe weave to it which I'm digging. Very happy with these.

i-3JH4z6J-XL.jpg

i-gCZjGfx-XL.jpg

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I'm very keen to get my hands on the order. I'm just hoping like hell that I measured accurately and they fit. If they do I will be stoked....

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yes after first long wear, mine didnt have very pronounced fades, but after 3-4 washes they were pretty good. (the second to fourth wash were maybe some months apart)
Yeah mate, Indigo2? Was hoping that the darker colour wold lead to some exaggerated fades? I'm a bit of a goose as I have just found 2 NWT Levi's in a bag that I bought on a trip last year and had forgotten about, along with 2 new La Coste golf shirts! Unsure how it happened as I'm not even close to being a thousandaire....I checked in my shed, and sadly there was no new Harley or Audi that I forgot about, not even a mystery aero in my cupboard or a hot girl friend...just some jeans and a couple of polos..

winterland1

Practically Family
I also wore my STF wet, by the book. But....mine are both STF and selvedge. Arent yours?

I like them because its a classic pattern and an icon of sorts (not how they are done nowdays, but the idea) but they are very wierd, wide hems and legs and get the biggest knees ever, yet they are so tight in the waist hehe. But after waist stretch they are comfy, and I dig the deep pockets, almost feels like a black hole compared to gustins :D
I have one pair standard Levis 501's and one pair Selvedge 501's. Of course the standard 501's are cheaper. The denim seems just as nice just not selvedge. They aren't slim fit for sure but I like the classic fit.
I hope the Gustin's at least have a normal size back pocket for the wallet.
Levis 501's Selvedge
_7154674.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points