Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GW A1

John Lever

One Too Many
Here are some photos of my new jacket made by John Chapman. The jacket is very different from other A1's that I have own[d]. It's very light and soft to the touch and very comfortable to wear, more like a heavy denim shirt. The capeskin is nothing like horsehide [ obvious I suppose] as it has no inherent stiffness. The tanning process has produced a dry looking finish of great patina and character. Add this to John's slight distressing and the result is a look suggesting slight wear and implied age, without looking false.
The size is based on my Buzz 44 arm and chest measurements, but the resulting fit is trimmer and shorter by about 2 inches or 50 mm. I think the shorter fit is better on me and looks more like originals seen in photos.
It day was very bright so I had to screw my eyes up somewhat.
IMGP1760.jpg

IMGP1762.jpg

IMGP1761.jpg

IMGP1776.jpg

IMGP1778.jpg

IMGP1781.jpg

IMGP1780.jpg

IMGP1782.jpg

IMGP1783.jpg

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The A1 is still my favorite, even over the A2. That is an exceptional jacket, and seems to fit perfectly. I like the sort of grizzled character to the stitching and button holes, and the low-set pockets. A fine jacket. One of Mr. Chapman's A1 jackets is probably the only inanimate thing on my must-have-before-I-die list anymore!

Well done - thanks very much for the excellent photos. Paddy is having computer problems, but when he's back, he'll be very pleased with these images!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Super cool, John.
Where abouts on the jacket is that raw edge in the 5th photo?
Sleeve?

Is a 3 panel sleeve an A-1 norm?

I don't think any other manufacturer could get the "rustic" construction rustic enough without it looking bad, or too neat... if you see what I mean.

This jacket makes other repros look so contrived!

Nice.

B
T

John Lever

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Super cool, John.
Where abouts on the jacket is that raw edge in the 5th photo?
Sleeve?

Is a 3 panel sleeve an A-1 norm?

I don't think any other manufacturer could get the "rustic" construction rustic enough without it looking bad, or too neat... if you see what I mean.

This jacket makes other repros look so contrived!

Nice.

B
T
Upper arm/shoulder

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
John Lever said:
Upper arm/shoulder
Do you like that touch, or do you think it is not correct or a mistake?

In general, what is your impression of the jacket? You don't say
if you like it or how you'd rank it as a reproduction. You've seen
and owned a lot of jackets, if I am not mistaken, so I'd be
interested in your view of John Chapman's work on this one.

I do hope to own a Good Wear A-1 some day.

John Lever

One Too Many
The touch is very pleasant and a positive characteristic. I don't think any type of Horse would drape in the same way as Cape skin. The jacket is light and so is not at all cumbersome or restrictive to movement. Of the A1's I have owned Aero, Buzz R. and now GW I would say this one has ' something ' special. It feels and wears like your favourite pair of jeans that are 10 years old.
Most of the jackets I have had in HH, sheepskin and steer have always been a bit of battle to wear, a struggle while driving. This one is the opposite.
As a reproduction I would say I am no expert and that ' is there a definitive A1 ? ' As an enthusiast I would say it looks identical to those in period photos. Short and very trim but dynamic.
I hope I have answered your questions.

John Lever

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
You chose all the details?

The pocket flaps look decidedly G-1-ish.

I'll ask this one again- 3 panel sleeves typical A-1?

B
T
No I didn't choose the details. Regarding the sleeves, I assume they are as per the contract number on the label.
My Buzz also has 3 panel sleeves -

BuzzRicksons031.jpg

BuzzRicksons030.jpg

here's my Aero -
2006-05-05040.jpg

John Lever

One Too Many
Thanks, I hadn't noticed the pocket flap shape before you mentioned it. Some versions are more scalloped. If you a member of VLJ there are several period photos there in a dedicated thread.

feltfan

John Lever said:
The touch is very pleasant and a positive characteristic.
(...)
I hope I have answered your questions.
Whoops, by "that touch" I was referring to the one seam
on the upper arm/shoulder that is raw. Did it appear to be
a mistake or an accurate reproduction?

In any event, it seems to me a super jacket.
I am anxiously awaiting my Good Wear and perhaps
have been too anxious regarding yours. Very much
appreciate all the pictures.

Rufus

Practically Family
John, I'm so envious! That is a superb looking jacket.

I'm not keen on A2s, but I like the A1s trim 30s styling.

I have a wool BR A1 I picked up in Tokyo (I didn't see any leather ones sadly, would've liked to try them on).

My wool a1's pattern varies in having 1 piece back and 2 piece sleeves. I don't know if that was exclusive to the wool version, I've only seen a few Wool originals on Ebay, but not a leather one.

I think a GW may be my next port of call!

Thanks for sharing!

Rufus

Burnsie

That's a terrific looking jacket John! Thanks for posting the Buzz and Aero pics as well, it's always interesting to compare a different manufacturers take - the Buzz looks nice but almost TOO nice, crisp and perfect - your GW looks incredibly authentic but I can't exactly say why - just the overall vibe I guess...nice one!!!!

Edward

Bartender
Rufus said:
John, I'm so envious! That is a superb looking jacket.

I'm not keen on A2s, but I like the A1s trim 30s styling.

I have a wool BR A1 I picked up in Tokyo (I didn't see any leather ones sadly, would've liked to try them on).

My wool a1's pattern varies in having 1 piece back and 2 piece sleeves. I don't know if that was exclusive to the wool version, I've only seen a few Wool originals on Ebay, but not a leather one.

I think a GW may be my next port of call!

Thanks for sharing!

Rufus

You got any pictures of that wool version? I don't know much more about the A1 than it's generic shape and that it was the precursor to the A2.... I'd love to see the wool one...

Rufus

Practically Family
I'll try'n take some photos end of this week Edward... Got a deadline... :-(

Next week maybe let's meet up for a bevvie, and I can show you in person!

:) ruf

AlanC

I'll second the requests for pics of the wool A1.

The GW A1 looks phenomenal. I speak as a great novice in this area, but like Scott, the A1 calls to me a lot more than the A2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats