Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

Campus Five

New in Town
Since "Matt Deckard" already put a picture of my haircut on page 1, I'll venture some ideas regarding "product." I've found that I don't really like to use greasy, or oil-y old school products, although I did really want them to work. Also I have fairly fine hair, and I don't want it glued down to my head. My choice: American Crew Pomade. They make several other varieties, but I still like the Pomade best. It's weighty without being too heavy, and best of all it washes out completely. Some of the other modern pomades you can find at the drug store, are just slightly thickened gels, and don't hold for crap. American Crew is probably just thickened gel, but it does hold properly and has a true pomade-like feel.

Here's a more recent picture:
mytchpic.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey man, good to see you here! It's cool to have some other friends of mine on the Lounge!

I'm a Royal Crown man. It was the first I tried but, I like the old school looking can it comes in. So, that way hair looks old school and so dose my medicine cabinet!

Root.

JiveAngel

New in Town
I just found this board with a google for 1940s mens haircuts. I can't believe I didn't know about it before.

Anyway, to the point.
Do you have any more photos of mens cuts?
Preferably with curly hair like The Wingnut.

My husband Craig is the leader of Blue Sky 5 in DC. (Jonathan nice to meet you on your recent visit.) He has a horrible time getting a good cut. His hair is very thick and curly, and he has a widows peak. When they cut his hair too short on top it doesn't do anything nice. Too long on the sides and it sticks out no matter how much Wild Root or pomade he puts in it. He always says "don't touch the top" but they cut it anyway.Since he's often dealing with someone for whom English is a second language we think photos might help.

What'cha got? He's playing Lincoln Center's Midsummer Night Swing next Friday and needs a trim before that gig

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey welcome to the lounge!

here is a photo for you....

Dick Powell.

dickpowell7rn.jpg

What most men who had curly hair in the 30's and 40's did was just wet it real good then, slick it down with palmade. It would stay that way for the most part. He should have it short on the side and then have the top left longer. Combing it back with no part is a good idea. He should also find a small old fashion barber shop! That's what I have done and they understand what I want.

Good luck,

Root.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
For any asian members out there, I've discovered a cut that works for me. It took me a good 3 or so months, but I wanted a Leo/Young Hughes bangs, so I just get a #5 on the sides and back and blended into the top, which I get thinned. I haven't let them cut the top or my bangs in about 5 months, and I think it looks pretty cool. I recently got a little adventurous and asked my barber to cut off the bit of my fringe on the right (my hair parts on the right side), so it looks slightly asymmetrical, but not in a bad way.

Zach R.

Practically Family
I picked up a bottle of Wildroot as well.

Thats what I've been using for the last month or so, its great stuff.

It doesn't work all that great if I want my hair slicked straight back, but if I just want to keep my hair parted its perfect.

Whats more, its not heavy like hairspray or regular canned pomade.

ClintonHammond

Suspended
About 2 years ago or so, I cut my mid-back lenght pony-tail off after YEARS of folkie-lookin'-like-a-used-Q-Tip.... Ever since then every hair cut I've got hasn't felt short enough when I get it home... The last haircut I got was I think a #2 or #3 on the top, and shorter on the back and sides... I suspect the next time I need a hair cut, I'm just gonna drag a #1 over my head and call it done....

Life is too short I find, to spend time primping my nearly non-existant hair!

LOL

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I was worried about the Hitler look but really it doesn't recognizably like it in person. Having short hair is pretty in-style right now so people don't seem to notice the shaved sides. It is a really precise and neat cut especially with my long hair slicked back on top so it works fine for interviews and the like.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DSC01539.jpg

Not all "vintage" haircuts were high and tight. This is a picture of the 1941 Nebo High School boy's basketball team. My Dad is the tall one in the center.

green papaya

One Too Many
thats a very practical haircut that was popular during the "Depression" era as well, because you could have it done at home , by simply cutting the sides and leaving the hair on top long and greased back, saving money on going to barbershops.

030043.jpg

these "China Clippers" were popular for cutting hair in the field

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vladimir Berkov said:
It was time to get a haircut again and I decided to go all the way and get the ultimate 30s-40s haircut. By printing out this page and giving it to the hairdresser she managed to get it exactly right. So if anybody is ever interested in looking really 40s, give it a try.

So.....where is the picture of -you- with this new cut......? :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy